New strains of Covid symptons

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yes, plenty people getting some mild cold symptoms. Nothing to see here.

We currently have

6 people in our office off work with Covid

There is at least about 5 that I know from other areas off

Within the golf club we have had 4 from one swindle test positive and others from another swindle

RichA

Visit site
Who tests for covid these days?
I visit my 92-year old father once a week and my 80-year old MiL once every 2 or 3 weeks. They both live in residential care homes. I test whenever I feel ill, to make sure I'm not taking COVID into their care homes. When they get a positive case among the residents they have to go into special measures (masks and gloves) which has a huge impact on residents and staff.
I had COVID a couple of months ago. It wasn't too bad. More like severe hayfever than flu.
Dad had COVID a month ago. He ended up in hospital with the double pneumonia and sepsis that accompanied it and his mild dementia has become much, much worse. Apparently it's a known result of COVID for dementia sufferers and it isn't reversible.

But as long as it doesn't affect you - all good, nothing to see here. 👍

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My parents are in their 90s. I work in a school with 1200 pupils. I am vaccinated as are mum and dad. I wouldn't go and see them if unwell, covid or anything else that they could catch.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a number of people who have had it in the recent past, having had to test because of the environment they work in.

I had a “chest infection” in March which had the added thrill of impacting on my throat and voice box. In short, the severity of the coughing was causing my vocal cords to go into spasm, and I could neither speak nor, more worryingly, breathe until it eased about 20 seconds later. I’m still getting the impact on speech even now, four months later. I also had a period of about three weeks with awful vertigo symptoms.

I had to test because of periodic hospital appointments, and the traditional Covid tests were returning a negative. My GP said I had almost certainly had one of the newer Covid variants, as not all show up with the testing kits we have all been used to using.

Having had Covid twice and returned positive tests over the last couple of years, I can say without hesitation that these most recent symptoms, if indeed they were caused by Covid, were by far the longest lasting and by some distance the most severe.
Myself and the wife had just that, and oth of us tested negative with the normal tests.
The only way we cleared it (after 6 or 7 weeks) was antibiotics. My wife was first as she had sepsis in her gall bladder, and I got antibiotics when she said allher cough, sore throat etc were gone as a result of her taken antibiotics.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Perhaps not, but they reduce the chance that it goes beyond a mild infection and reduce the chance of you showing any symptoms.

I’m fully vaccinated. And I’ve had my flu and pneumonia jabs. Whatever I had wasn’t minimised despite being a human pin cushion.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Myself and the wife had just that, and oth of us tested negative with the normal tests.
The only way we cleared it (after 6 or 7 weeks) was antibiotics. My wife was first as she had sepsis in her gall bladder, and I got antibiotics when she said allher cough, sore throat etc were gone as a result of her taken antibiotics.

I had two courses of antibiotics and it still lingered well after I’d finished the courses. It was certainly the longest lasting infection I can ever recall having.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I got Covid from my mate exactly a year ago when I travelled to & from the Roxburghe for a Seniors' Open. Sore throat, cough, aching limbs.

Same symptoms last Monday. Wouldn't have tested but was due to take daughter & son in law to the airport on way to Vietnam. Had to cancel what will probably be my last trip to the Roxy.

Feeling 90% now, not as severe as last time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
travelled up to Scotland on Thursday and an expert was talking about it on radio 2. It was very good. Comparisons made with flu. 14,000 died of flu last year. Suffice to say there is no official way of saying Covid has increased because it’s not being tested and recorded. But that said. She said it is increasing. Some have had it and felt no different, others have and have felt terrible.
Bottom line, she said it is a virus, in adapts to survive. We have to learn to live with Covid in the same way we now live with flu.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the emergence of a new group of COVID-19 variants, known collectively as FLiRT, some people are asking about how these new strains compare to other variants. The unofficial nickname was inspired by the names of the mutations in the genetic code of the variants. They descend from JN.1, which had variant BA.2.86 as a parent. One of the FLiRT variants, KP.3, has been identified in small numbers in the UK this summer. Data on KP.3 is limited, but to date there is no evidence of a difference in severity compared to other variants currently circulating in the UK. (according to UKHSA).

We haven't seen a noticeable increase in Covid and haven't had a case in 3 weeks so it doesn't appear to be causing an issue in the community. It is a disease that will mutate but like the flu vaccine, the Covid vaccine will target the most active gene at a given time and so it will be a case of getting an annual jab, subject to underlying conditions, in which case there will likely be 6 monthly jabs

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had it 5 weeks ago. Like I had been hit by a bus for 3 days. Lost my sense of taste and had a sore throat.

Only reason I know it was Covid was we still have test kits as HiD has to to do home visits with vulnerable people and has to teat before each one. So I nabbed a kit and there it was.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had it 5 weeks ago. Like I had been hit by a bus for 3 days. Lost my sense of taste and had a sore throat.

Only reason I know it was Covid was we still have test kits as HiD has to to do home visits with vulnerable people and has to teat before each one. So I nabbed a kit and there it was.
Greg have you had it before, was it any different this time. I have had it three times and it was more bearable every time.

PaulMdj

Visit site
2 very close friends currently positive, one is a “Handyman” in a private hospital nearby, he is currently off work as per hospital regs, the other has serious chest issues and is being monitored by RVI Newcastle, also their extended families have caught it as well.

Friends in NI have it.

Talking about it yesterday in Golf Club we roughly got about 30 people in the local area that we know are currently positive for covid, then there are others who have bad flu and testing negative.

Varying levels of illness from those who are or have had tested positive recently, from hardly any affect, to full blown knocked off their feet for 3-5 days.