New Rules 2019 - Out of Bounds

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are times when I play a ball off a perfect lie on grass it could go anywhere. :eek:
We are all capable of this
Genuine question why do golf clubs deem buildings roads paths etc part of the course?
I have never seen anybody practicing of a path or road.
Golf should be played on the grass that’s why we pay the green staff.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Genuine question why do golf clubs deem buildings roads paths etc part of the course?

I'm having trouble imagining a greenskeeper telling the R&A he intends to break up the road by the 17th green at the old course so people can play on grass. :ROFLMAO:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally there are courses where the course was designed around the existence of a path or track in the first place, and the initial principle of the game has stuck (play the course as you find it).
In some cases the path or track has, over the decades (or centuries), changed in nature (rather than position) - the terraced road across the Old Course being the best example.
Very few courses do not permit relief from tarmac or concrete that was either there before the course, or the whole path/track/road added afterwards (buggy paths being the most obvious example).
Relief from roads and tracks isn't always the best course of action, especially where they have 'rubbish' on the side of it you would have to take relief - so playing of such surfaces is just like any other non fairway situation; care required.
There is also the category of track where the nature of it is such that you have problems defining whether you are on it - some being partially made up (maybe 60 years ago!) and other parts being turf. Walton Heath is an excellent example. Very little relief anywhere around there on the normal card.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Generally there are courses where the course was designed around the existence of a path or track in the first place, and the initial principle of the game has stuck (play the course as you find it).
In some cases the path or track has, over the decades (or centuries), changed in nature (rather than position) - the terraced road across the Old Course being the best example.
Very few courses do not permit relief from tarmac or concrete that was either there before the course, or the whole path/track/road added afterwards (buggy paths being the most obvious example).
Relief from roads and tracks isn't always the best course of action, especially where they have 'rubbish' on the side of it you would have to take relief - so playing of such surfaces is just like any other non fairway situation; care required.
There is also the category of track where the nature of it is such that you have problems defining whether you are on it - some being partially made up (maybe 60 years ago!) and other parts being turf. Walton Heath is an excellent example. Very little relief anywhere around there on the normal card.
Yes understand your points but the powers that be are changing a lot of rules this year (some good some not so) so you can’t use history as a reason or NO rules would be changed.

How does the out of bounds rule change stack up with the play it as you find it?

D

Deleted member 15344

I have correspondence from the R&A that CONGU & EGU have advised them that they will not be allowing the LR (lost ball or OOB) in qualifying competitions!
Yep it looks like EGU will be contacting all clubs over the next two weeks to confirm that the LR will not be allowed in Q comps

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes understand your points but the powers that be are changing a lot of rules this year (some good some not so) so you can’t use history as a reason or NO rules would be changed.

How does the out of bounds rule change stack up with the play it as you find it?
Sorry, I obviously worded my response badly because I wasn't playing the history card.
There is a huge difference between it has always been that way, and it was designed that way.
On your last point - it could be argued both ways! You hit it there, but either can't find it or it has become technically unplayable where bit is (OOB). Continuing from the same general area with an appropriate penalty or starting again...neither fits exactly. However hat debatenisbvery much a blind alley in the context of this thread - and recent developments suggest that rule is going to be a non starter now anyway!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I obviously worded my response badly because I wasn't playing the history card.
There is a huge difference between it has always been that way, and it was designed that way.
On your last point - it could be argued both ways! You hit it there, but either can't find it or it has become technically unplayable where bit is (OOB). Continuing from the same general area with an appropriate penalty or starting again...neither fits exactly. However hat debatenisbvery much a blind alley in the context of this thread - and recent developments suggest that rule is going to be a non starter now anyway!
Yes it’s been a good debate but we all have differing opinions that’s good.

It looks like someone (congu) have listened to the reasons given.

If the R&A really want this then everyone will have to play to it but it would need to be a rule of golf not a local rule.
I wonder what they will do?

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the R&A really want this then everyone will have to play to it but it would need to be a rule of golf not a local rule.
I wonder what they will do?

Hopefully they will not cater to the "casual" golfer (who needs a rule change to "have more fun"), and leave it to clubs. Leave the ROG alone....preserve the integrity and traditions of the game to those who value them. I like to imagine I am playing against Ol' Tom Morris and Bobby Jones everytime I play. Such a drastic rule change would destroy that fantasy. We could no longer measure ourselves against the legends. :love:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully they will not cater to the "casual" golfer (who needs a rule change to "have more fun"), and leave it to clubs. Leave the ROG alone....preserve the integrity and traditions of the game to those who value them. I like to imagine I am playing against Ol' Tom Morris and Bobby Jones everytime I play. Such a drastic rule change would destroy that fantasy. We could no longer measure ourselves against the legends. :love:
If those legends had our modern equipment they would slaughter us imo.

Seen old war film remastered on the news this week ! Awesome footage!
Would love to see the old golf movies done to that standard it was fantastic.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

What would be the problem with having this local rule in place? You could continue to measure yourself against the greats by always opting to play a provisional ball. You obviously wouldnt be measuring yourself against the casual player, and so what's the odds?

Last edited: