New Pro V1 or Pro 1x?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simply because I do not play golf wearing headphones and I prefer to do real world testing. which I have dome 100s of times in choosing what balls I prefer I know I have discounted lots of golf balls or have chosen one ball over another based upon what they feel like particularly off the putter head.

We are all different and I am sure that the level of feeling we have in our fingers varies enormously at each end of the spectrum

My suggestion is not about comparing old world balls it is simply pointing out that balls can vary enormously at each end of the spectrum and it is about personal ability as to when a person can no longer tell the difference between one ball and another. I am not saying I could tell the difference between all balls but certainly can detect difference in some of the ones I would choose to try based upon technical specs.
Your missing the point. You're saying you can tell the difference in softness in balls with the putter. Traminator and I think that's rubbish and it's actually the sound you're feeling.
So with this in mind if you run the experiment you will most likely find that that your perception is wrong. However I get the impression that no matter what, you have your mind set on your beliefs and there's no changing that.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not bothered by titleist pro v whatever’s .. prefer Callaway chrome soft x /TM TP5 and x/ will look at q star .. but they are all of a muchness and I suppose it’s about cost and availability

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
i am going to wait for the 4 for 3 sale in April I think, i have just looked and I still have 2 dozen tp5x from last year. I don’t think even I could lose those in the next few months.

I did that for the first time last year, bought 4 dozen TP5s for £120. Initially it feels like quite an outlay for balls but obviously it works out so much cheaper in the long run. I've got about a dozen left. Will be doing it again this year but undecided whether it'll be on the new TP5s or the new Pro V1s.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I for some reason prefer the 'feel' of a softer ball, It reduces my tension somehow and I like a nice sound off the club face. Can't say I'd tell the difference between a V1 or a V1X but I could with a Wilson ULTRA vs Chrome Soft/TP5/ProV1.

On another note about balls I am the only one that will lose a premium ball in an instant yet if I had a top flite the bloody thing would stay for 3 months!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. However I get the impression that no matter what, you have your mind set on your beliefs and there's no changing that.

and that comment works two ways

So I think it best to just leave it that as we have totally different opinions and experiences to which we are all entitled.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
and that comment works two ways

So I think it best to just leave it that as we have totally different opinions and experiences to which we are all entitled.
Yep. It does work both ways. I was in your camp and would only use pro v's. I got told otherwise by better golfers than me and since then I've benefited massively by opening my eyes and playing almost any ball I pick up (within reason)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep. It does work both ways. I was in your camp and would only use pro v's. I got told otherwise by better golfers than me and since then I've benefited massively by opening my eyes and playing almost any ball I pick up (within reason)

Do not get me wrong I play with with virtually any 3/4 piece high spin soft feel golf ball but only buy them after extensive testing to decide on which one I am going to put my money in to to. One of my choices is actually a Dunlop DP1 V3 ( I use different balls at different times of the year and according to green speeds).

D

Deleted member 25172

Do not get me wrong I play with with virtually any 3/4 piece high spin soft feel golf ball but only buy them after extensive testing to decide on which one I am going to put my money in to to. One of my choices is actually a Dunlop DP1 V3 ( I use different balls at different times of the year and according to green speeds).

Each to their own, but to me this starts to sound a bit silly. Do you check day to day temperature and humidity as well before choosing which ball to tee up with?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Each to their own, but to me this starts to sound a bit silly. Do you check day to day temperature and humidity as well before choosing which ball to tee up with?
Think it’s more of a spin thing, any high spin summer ball will be zipping back. I started using ad333 and that was coming back several feet the titleist trufeel usually sticks or hops back a couple of inches.. I just wish the greens were like this more instead of these boring hard pan greens

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

More than anything it is a course conditions thing.

Being an inland course there is a big difference between our greens in late Autumn to early Spring compared to summer.

Basically it is choice between two balls eg a Bridgestone 330 RXS and a Bridgestone B330RX . The RX roll better on the slower greens.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Think it’s more of a spin thing, any high spin summer ball will be zipping back. I started using ad333 and that was coming back several feet the titleist trufeel usually sticks or hops back a couple of inches.. I just wish the greens were like this more instead of these boring hard pan greens

To me, hard greens provide separation between those who control their ball, and those that just moan about firm / hard greens. I love it when the greens are firm, it is how golf was meant to be played.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me, hard greens provide separation between those who control their ball, and those that just moan about firm / hard greens. I love it when the greens are firm, it is how golf was meant to be played.
Depends what level of firmness ... I am not a fan of the scuffed shot that ricochets off everything never gets higher than 6 ft at peak apex lands 60 ft from the green and then rattles up on to the green .. that’s rewarding poor technique and then said player says they can’t play in winter ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I got some of the new Pro V1/X when Titleist sent them out to try, unfortunately I only got to use them once, and I played like a donkey ?‍♂️ As a big fan of the 4-for-3 offers I’ve still got some of the 2012 model.... maybe I’ll try and compare them when courses re-open.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They roll better??????

Are they rounder or something?
Seriously...
I figured he meant the harder ball comes off the putter a bit quicker. That's why I stopped using soft balls ages ago, I remember hitting a Callaway Supersoft with my Odyssey insert putter and it felt like hitting a stress ball, and that I actually had to hit it harder which I didn't like.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Agreed. I love playing with players that hit it low and then wonder why it pitches on or short and then runs for miles and often through. There are ways to get it round even hitting low but don't blame the ball. A reasonable mid-handicapper can get the ball to stop on hard greens but it does highlight good ball striking

D

Deleted member 21445

ive actually posted a premium ball comparison test today on my you tube channel using the numbers off my launch monitor that may or may not be of interest on this matter.
Im not saying it has all the answers as its personal to me and my swing but it does show some trends.
My view is that they are all good and some will suit players more than others depending on their swing credentials.

For sure some balls suit firm courses better than others with higher spin numbers like the Taylormade TP5.