New Poster, Putting Head Case

ricknick

Visit site
Hello everyone and thank you for taking my post. This is my first posting on this site and I'll do my best to keep it short. I think I'm a pretty decent player with a 6 seems like 10 handicap but could get back to where I once was and have the potential of being even around a 4 or < if I were to not have this messed up issue. On the putting practice green I'm as good as anyone out there but once reaching the first green in regulation play there's this serious issue of fear when striking the putt. I sware it's like a jolt of electricity it's so bad when making that first putt. I've tried multiple things to overcome it but it never fails. By the fourth or fifth hole it's seems to settle back down but it's too late at that point to score. Somebody PLEASE tell me something I haven't already heard that I could try.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
By the fourth or fifth hole it's seems to settle back down but it's too late at that point to score.

There is your first mistake, if you think by the 4th it's too late to score, you're never gonna score. one shot at a time, one hole at a time, but if you've given up by the 4th, then your wasting your time trying to score, just play and don't count. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Tiger wasn't just the best at playing the ball he was miles ahead between the ears also.

ricknick

Visit site
Just need to get that first hole jolt out of the way and I'll be fine. Looking for something like maybe I should just shut my eyes. The J. Speith thing helps a little but distance is bad. Thanks for the advise.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is your first mistake, if you think by the 4th it's too late to score, you're never gonna score. one shot at a time, one hole at a time, but if you've given up by the 4th, then your wasting your time trying to score, just play and don't count. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Tiger wasn't just the best at playing the ball he was miles ahead between the ears also.

most sensible thing you have said on this forum so far;):ears:

Our first is a quite easy hole and yet i still manage a bogey there most times.

TBH, many's the time ive shot over my handicap (to par not css)on the first 4 holes, but never give up on the score and made those shots up.

OP, sound s like a big yip. I occasionally play with a guy that has them from close, he's fine on long putts but anything inside 6 ft looks awful. He now putts side saddle on these and it much better.

or alternatively play the first over and over and see if you can train yourself to overcome this with familiarity

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a lot of good reading material out there which I reckon boils down to

On the practice green read and hole putts like they were for a tournament

On the course hole out like you're only practicing.

It sounds like technique is not the issue, its a mental barrier. If you stand over a par putt on the 1st and think of nothing else only sinking it with the calm and carefree manner in which you would hole a putt for nothing, you'll be right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If you start with 4 or 5 blobs off 6, your unlikely to play to your h/cap, far less get 40+ points to win anything.

I would suggest you make sure each putt on the first few holes goes past the hole.
Donate £1 to your clubhouse charity tin for every putt you leave short.

ricknick

Visit site
I like the idea of paying the clubhouse charity tin if our club had one and also I'll try the side saddle thing just to see what happens. Thanks everyone for all the advise. I'll be sure to bring back anything that made a difference. Again thanks for taking my post. RickNick

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Putt left handed for the first couple of holes, it'll be such a relief to go back to right handed that it'll be a walk in the park.
(Or vice versa if you're left handed.)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Switch how you hold your putter. Try left hand low, the claw, or the pencil. Try holding the twitchy hand more in the fingers. This worked for me, as it removed the trigger point.

Looking at the hole is great for ramming short putts, but less good on long ones i find.

Yips are way worse with a hang over too.

Putting with your eyes shut is another way, but requires belief.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How about a similar method to the clock method of chipping. You play your greens regularly so you know how far back to take the putter to reach the hole, so I suggest that you.

1 .... line the line on the ball to exactly to where you need to start it off

2 .... don't vary the speed you hit the ball for any putt just the distance of swing

3 .... take the club back to where it is right for the distance e.g. your big toe (watch the club if necessary)

4 .... try to move the line on the ball end over end.

Send £20 in post if this works 😁