New PING G30 low spin driver

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Ladies and Gents,

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed that PING launched a new version of its popular G30 driver today. Its new G30 LS Tec is a low spin version that should suit players who swing faster or impart too much spin.

We've had one for a few weeks and have filmed a few interesting videos already, so go fill your proverbial boots!

G30 LS Tec review: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/gear-news/ping-g30-ls-tec-driver-launched-63780

G30 LS Tec vs standard G30 on a launch monitor video: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/brands/ping-news/ping-g30-ls-tec-driver-vs-ping-g30-63740

PING has also unveiled some new putters, which you can read about here: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/gear-news/ping-cadence-tr-putters-launched-63658

Happy golfing!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are having to release this version as they didn't include movable weight technology in the heads. This is here to stay.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've hit it a few times today with various settings and shaft options, very nice club, I didn't bring all my stats home today but I'll announce them tomorrow night.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The B65 Heavy putter could be difficult for me to resist.... :whistle:

Might have a hit with some of these low spin drivers this year, have to go some to be an improvement on my G25 though.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rick Shiels seemed very impressed with this driver.
Review on YouTube.

He's impressed with everything !
I watched his and mark crossfields review. It seems very similar for both as the sldr, the r15 the 915 d3 etc etc.

All it tells me is that there's very little to choose between all of the new drivers.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched his and mark crossfields review. It seems very similar for both as the sldr, the r15 the 915 d3 etc etc.

All it tells me is that there's very little to choose between all of the new drivers.

Spot on I've watched loads of Mark Cross field driver reviews and basically there all alike for distance,it all comes down to club preference.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

True,he's doing a vide putting it up against the standard G30.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Spot on I've watched loads of Mark Cross field driver reviews and basically there all alike for distance,it all comes down to club preference.

I'm not sure how much extra distance could be gained by a pro hitting all the different drivers, but they are all very different as far as overall weight, adjustments, shafts and all the various technology within the heads, I know because I hit the new Ping G30 LS Tec, R15 & Areoburner, Wilson D100, Callaways, Srixon Z Series, Yonex & Benross Hot drivers yesterday and I'm doing the same today with those drivers now built to my stats but with the addition of Titleist, Adams, Mizuno, Cobra and some others.

The difference at handicap level I think is very significant though, especially where the manufacturers can boast and prove to reduce spin, increase the ball speed off the face, tighten dispersion and more, everything I experienced yesterday whilst adding carry distances!

What really surprised me yesterday is how the manufacturers have many different opinions on the ideal launch angles, due to this I was fitted with regular shafts in a couple, an extra stiff in 1 but the majority were stiff but I was very borderline and due to these various opinions I had many different lofts from 9.5 to 12 degrees across the board.

I think the biggest thing that came across to me yesterday was, just because you don't see any particular brand everywhere you look or isn't being overly marketed, it doesn't mean its inferior or a lesser product, 2 drivers yesterday, once specced to suit me out performed in all areas of my stats what I would have expected the more prominent brands to do by a considerable distance!

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm not sure how much extra distance could be gained by a pro hitting all the different drivers, but they are all very different as far as overall weight, adjustments, shafts and all the various technology within the heads, I know because I hit the new Ping G30 LS Tec, R15 & Areoburner, Wilson D100, Callaways, Srixon Z Series, Yonex & Benross Hot drivers yesterday and I'm doing the same today with those drivers now built to my stats but with the addition of Titleist, Adams, Mizuno, Cobra and some others.

The difference at handicap level I think is very significant though, especially where the manufacturers can boast and prove to reduce spin, increase the ball speed off the face, tighten dispersion and more, everything I experienced yesterday whilst adding carry distances!

What really surprised me yesterday is how the manufacturers have many different opinions on the ideal launch angles, due to this I was fitted with regular shafts in a couple, an extra stiff in 1 but the majority were stiff but I was very borderline and due to these various opinions I had many different lofts from 9.5 to 12 degrees across the board.

I think the biggest thing that came across to me yesterday was, just because you don't see any particular brand everywhere you look or isn't being overly marketed, it doesn't mean its inferior or a lesser product, 2 drivers yesterday, once specced to suit me out performed in all areas of my stats what I would have expected the more prominent brands to do by a considerable distance!

They can but if you saw Crossfield's and Shiel's videos Ping are claiming something like a 400 rpm reduction in spin with the new one over the standard G30. But on 2 shots both with the new 'reduced spin' one Crossfield got a difference of nearly 2000 rpm purely down to where he struck it on the head. So for me a handicap golfer would struggle to actually get consistent reduction in spin rates as if Crossfield is getting that much difference. Then you add in the inconsistency of the delivery angle most handicap golfers would have compared to Crossfield, then I am sure the average handicap golfer will get even more variation. So how much a low spin model will help the average handicap golfer is debatable in my book. Much rather have more forgiving models.

And have you won some kind of competition or something with all that driver testing?

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
And have you won some kind of competition of something with all that driver testing?

fish is the new face of Internet golf videos, I believe we are just waiting on paternity test results from both Rick shiels and mark crossfield. Rumour has it, fish fathered them both in the 70's when he was in the armed forces travelling the world...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
fish is the new face of Internet golf videos, I believe we are just waiting on paternity test results from both Rick shiels and mark crossfield. Rumour has it, fish fathered them both in the 70's when he was in the armed forces travelling the world...

Has he considered making up a threesome with meandmygolf?