New Out of Bounds Option (False Info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Stumbled across a video that indicates that a new option when you go out of bounds is coming in in the new year. Real or nonsense?

When out of bounds and ball found..additional two options to existing stroke and distance - both with penalty of one shot. Ball position is reference point. Option 1: Drop not nearer hole within two club lengths of reference point. Option 2: Drop anywhere not nearer the hole on a straight line from reference point to where shot had been played from.

Doesn’t sound like the one previously formed not adopted for competition but still available if clubs chooses to enact for casual play. And just one penalty shot?

(oops spotted sp mistake in subject)

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Stumbled across a video that indicates that a new option when you go out of bounds is coming in in the new year. Real or nonsense?

When out of bounds and ball found..additional two options to existing stroke and distance - both with penalty of one shot. Ball position is reference point. Option 1: Drop not nearer hole within two club lengths of reference point. Option 2: Drop anywhere not nearer the hole on a straight line from reference point to where shot had been played from.

Doesn’t sound like the one previously formed not adopted for competition but still available if clubs chooses to enact for casual play. And just one penalty shot?

(oops spotted sp mistake in subject)

Any chance you are on the course right now staring at your ball lying just beyond a wee white post ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It‘s a baffling website as another video tells me that the number of clubs that I can carry has increased to 18; that I’ll get free relief from rocks and roots, and other suchlike stuff. Unless, that is, the Golf Handicap Association is related to disability golf…for which I understand that there have been some significant changes, and so for calling it nonsense and baffling I’ll apologise up front. That said, the golfer in the picture doesn’t suggest disability. But here’s the video in any case.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Id ignore anything that video says when there are comments like "if any part of the ball touches the white (OOB) line or is in line with the stakes the ball is not out of bounds"

What rule is rule 17c ?

The GHA do not appear to be related to disability golf. But apparently they manage the rules of golf for 60 million golfers worldwide? Looks to me like they are one of these organisations that offer unofficial handicaps to recreational gofers...they even have their own rule book.

Golf Handicap Association

But some tasty rule changes for 2023...:LOL:

Club Limit Increase. - you can now carry 18 clubs
Club Length Limit INCREASE. - increased maximum length of clubs (non-putter) to 50 inches
Major Driver Changes - increases to CC's, MOI and COR....up to 600cc and 0.930COR
Drop Between Knee and Shoulder Height
3 Putt Max
No More 2 Stroke OB
Free Drop If Ball Is In A Divot On Fairway

Lift Rake and Place Bunkers
Uplayable From Bunkers Not Required To Be In Bunker, can be taken on the GAC line.
New Drop Options For Hazards, Unplayables, Out of Bounds on the GAC line.
Free Relief From Rocks And Roots
Damaged Clubs May Now Be Replaced
Portable Wind Speed Devices Are OK!
Weighted Clubs And Donuts Now Allowed
Elevation & Interpretation Devices Allowed
Green Reading Material & Devices
Golf Carts For Tournaments
Alignment Sticks and Tees
Groove Changes
Information Interpreting Devices Legal!
Rules Reviewed Every Year - Instead of Every 4
Listen To Audio/Tempo/Rhythm During Handicap Rounds.Headphones only.

This has to be the most elaborate April Fools joke going in golf surely? Hell you can even buy a copy of the GHA rules book for $4.99

It is utterly scary stuff that many folks may stumble across and totally buy in to and apply it in their daily golf.

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
I've just filed that video in the same place as I filed the article by the 'other' Steve discussing what happens if a ball hits another ball.?️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Id ignore anything that video says when there are comments like "if any part of the ball touches the white (OOB) line or is in line with the stakes the ball is not out of bounds"

What rule is rule 17c ?

The GHA do not appear to be related to disability golf. But apparently they manage the rules of golf for 60 million golfers worldwide? Looks to me like they are one of these organisations that offer unofficial handicaps to recreational gofers...they even have their own rule book.

Club Length Limit INCREASE. - increased maximum length of clubs (non-putter) to 50 inches
Major Driver Changes - increases to CC's, MOI and COR....up to 600cc and 0.930COR
3 Putt Max
No More 2 Stroke OB

Uplayable From Bunkers Not Required To Be In Bunker, can be taken on the GAC line.
Groove Changes

This has to be the most elaborate April Fools joke going in golf surely? Hell you can even buy a copy of the GHA rules book for $4.99

It is utterly scary stuff that many folks may stumble across and totally buy in to and apply it in their daily golf.
I haven't looked further than the video posted, but your list of stuff is bonkers, and as you say so completely and utterly misleading that the confusion that they could create could be endless. I say this as a friend at my club actually mentioned these two as a rule change that were coming in - certainly the first one and I think also the second. He mentioned others that I don't recall but I am thinking that he has stumbled across the videos also and thinks they are real. And No - he won't have been the originator :)

Do the R&A and the USGA not own any rights - or intellectual property rights - to golf rules that would make it illegal to publish changes to existing R&A/USGA rules that are simply invented.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only purpose of the Golf Handicap is, I guess, to make money out of suckers. They won’t get any of mine. I’m only half daft. :geek:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The only purpose of the Golf Handicap is, I guess, to make money out of suckers. They won’t get any of mine. I’m only half daft. :geek:
Indeed, though it seems that my friend may have watched or gone on their website and believed what they are saying. A case for breach of IPR surely.

Swango1980

Visit site

Na, I wouldn't worry. There is no way any real golfer would be fooled by this, ey SwingsItLikeHogan..... ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Na, I wouldn't worry. There is no way any real golfer would be fooled by this, ey SwingsItLikeHogan..... ?
You will of course have spotted that I wasn't...very strongly suspecting the one about OoB I came across was just total cobblers - even though it had a ring of plausibility to it given it's not a great stretch from what was proposed - and the fact that my buddy at my club had raised with me the equally implausible changes I picked out from the list that @njd posted. In fact if I'd spotted the '18 clubs in a bag will be allowed' video first I'd have smiled and moved on...though would have waved a red flag of warning on here.

I also thought it just might have been changes for disabled golf only, and for that group I have no idea what changes are coming in.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also thought it just might have been changes for disabled golf only, and for that group I have no idea what changes are coming in.

May I point out extremely pedantically that my golf is frequently disabled but the modified rules are for golfers with disabilities. :)

Seriously, having refereed for some of this group, I can tell you that they are a bunch of remarkable and humbling people. You certainly keep quiet about the usual run of aches and pains in their company.

tobybarker

Visit site

What rule is rule 17c ?

3 Putt Max
No More 2 Stroke OB

Groove Changes

I'm taking a copy of these because I know that in 6 months these crazy notions will be offered up as facts by some members who swear blind they've always been the case

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm taking a copy of these because I know that in 6 months these crazy notions will be offered up as facts by some members who swear blind they've always been the case
I know that at least one or two of them may already be circulating in my club, so I must see if I can ‘cut them off at the pass’. Will have a word with my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.