Diamond

Visit site
I didn't see a new member section. Retired school teacher (American) living in Harrogate and play at Knaresborough.

Welcome to the crazy house. This site is superb regards to social seperation, compared to other forums most people can spell. If you are American you will probably get on well with Boomer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my favourite clubs to visit, course to play. I was booked to play in the Rabbits Open there at the end of this month ?.

Living in Harrogate, playing at Knaresborough, you are living my dream ?. Welcome aboard.

Mandofred

Visit site
One of my favourite clubs to visit, course to play. I was booked to play in the Rabbits Open there at the end of this month ?.

Living in Harrogate, playing at Knaresborough, you are living my dream ?. Welcome aboard.
Don't think I will be playing in the medal in the morning...obviously. Still hoping for the 36 hole Harpanoak on the 17th....but doubtful. If they don't open pretty soon, I may be asking for some subs money back.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't think I will be playing in the medal in the morning...obviously. Still hoping for the 36 hole Harpanoak on the 17th....but doubtful. If they don't open pretty soon, I may be asking for some subs money back.
Ha ha, no you wont. I've done a good number of golf weekends staying in Harrogate, Ascot House Hotel or the Kimberly, and playing the surrounding courses. Harrogate, Knaresbrough, Pannal, Oakdale, Rudding Park. Have you been there long enough to have played Flaxby Park before it was closed? I used to love that course, just off the A1 turnoff for Harrogate.

A great location for golf courses and if you want to go a little further you start hitting the north Leeds courses as well. You are certainly not short of really good options.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear your American, don't worry its not your fault. Welcome to the Forum, from what little I know you have migrated to a lovely part of England.

Play well

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just looked at the website, no scratch open. Can't be that good ;)

Mandofred

Visit site
Well...kind of American. I've lived most of my life out the US....worked in schools on the American bases. High Wycombe, Greenham Common, Croughton, and finally Menwith Hill to finish......10 years in Germany and 5 on Okinawa inbetween. Retired in 2011 and moved back to Washington state (where I'm from) for 4 years before returning. I've been back for 5 years and just got my permanent visa approved (3 visa's later and about £7500 in cost). Might go for the UK passport at some point....already spent almost 20 years total in the UK. I don't really play anywhere else...never played Harrogate/Oakdale/Rudding etc. Knaresborough keeps me entertained enough....good tough course. The people I play with keep telling me that Knaresborough is the best in the Harrogate area....not counting the expensive courses closer to Leeds. I keep thinking I should start playing for the 2nd team or seniors just so I can play the other courses in the area.....I'm 9.5 so I can't play rabbits. I was hoping to get down to 8 this year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looked at the website, no scratch open. Can't be that good ;)
You mean it is not elitist and wants to encourage all golfers to come and play at their lovely club, no exclusions :D. Yup, I'll take it every time (y).

I only look at Opens within an hour or two of where I live, Northumberland, and scratch opens are really not a thing up here. Most are pairs, 4BBB, mixed and so on. Not that many individual strokeplay and even fewer scratch opens. I'm sure there are some but they are definitely in the minority here.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well...kind of American. I've lived most of my life out the US....worked in schools on the American bases. High Wycombe, Greenham Common, Croughton, and finally Menwith Hill to finish......10 years in Germany and 5 on Okinawa inbetween. Retired in 2011 and moved back to Washington state (where I'm from) for 4 years before returning. I've been back for 5 years and just got my permanent visa approved (3 visa's later and about £7500 in cost). Might go for the UK passport at some point....already spent almost 20 years total in the UK. I don't really play anywhere else...never played Harrogate/Oakdale/Rudding etc. Knaresborough keeps me entertained enough....good tough course. The people I play with keep telling me that Knaresborough is the best in the Harrogate area....not counting the expensive courses closer to Leeds. I keep thinking I should start playing for the 2nd team or seniors just so I can play the other courses in the area.....I'm 9.5 so I can't play rabbits. I was hoping to get down to 8 this year.
Very subjective but I would say the best courses are a toss up betwen Pannal, Knaresbrough and Oakdale. Pannal will edge it for toughness but in general terms all 3 are equally excellent in terms of being a members club. Off your handicap you will enjoy both of the others, they are classy but friendly at the same time.

Harrogate is decent but a step below those 3. Rudding Park is a big open hotel style course. Not my favourite but that is a personal thing.

I'd definitely recommend playing in some seniors friendlies to play those places, I am sure you would enjoy them and it is a cheaper way to play them.

Mandofred

Visit site
Did you play Ramstein in Germany?
No, I was 10 years in Giessen...a bit north of Frankfurt. I was too busy in the school (coached a lot, so didn't get weekends off) to get around much. Played Heidelberg a time or two every year....but too far to drive to play regularly. We had a local course we played at more that we quite liked (Braunfels). I went to Ramstein/K-town often for coaching.

Mandofred

Visit site
Very subjective but I would say the best courses are a toss up betwen Pannal, Knaresbrough and Oakdale. Pannal will edge it for toughness but in general terms all 3 are equally excellent in terms of being a members club. Off your handicap you will enjoy both of the others, they are classy but friendly at the same time.

Harrogate is decent but a step below those 3. Rudding Park is a big open hotel style course. Not my favourite but that is a personal thing.

I'd definitely recommend playing in some seniors friendlies to play those places, I am sure you would enjoy them and it is a cheaper way to play them.
From what I've heard, Oakdale just built a new outside area? that about busted the pocketbook. It's supposed to be nice during the drier part of the year, but horrible during the winter. Pannal is making big changes to their course that is upsetting a lot of people. LOTS of trees down....changed things a lot.....evidently by plan to make it more open. I've talked to people who have been bumped off the course at Rudding since they give priority to people staying at the hotel.....but they don't close that course for anything.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You ought to give Wetherby (with its new holes) a try when golf restarts.