New Member BAD experience

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
4 hours 30 is a lonnnngggg time, that's 15 minutes per hole, every hole. Considering tee times are 10 minutes apart you will undoubtedly hold up a lot of groups behind you, even if you let a couple of groups through.

The rude guy shouldn't have shouted but you need to play a bit quicker too, 4 hours should be plenty. :D

If its a busy weekend afternoon then 4.5hrs is about right.

Sorry, but 4 and a half hours is never about right. Anything approaching four hours off the boxes is terrible. I accept that these are new golfers and have let two (but only two) groups through, but get into good habits early.

It's pretty unlikely that on a weekend there isn't a "new" group out there somewhere, and if they're taking over four hours, then so has everyone else to too.

Speed up please.

As for the guy, he's bang out of order, but find out who he is before you complain, he may as has been mentioned be one of the "clique".

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It really depends on the course as to whether 4.5hrs at a weekend is bad or just terrible.

4.5hrs round Gleneagles is more acceptable than 4.5hrs round some par 66 knockaround? In general though 4.5hrs is IMO too slow.

No excuse for the guy shouting though - you done the right thing in speaking with him afterwards. I'd leave it at that.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tend to agree with shanker. A fourball of inexperienced golfers is always a bit slow. I have been there not so long ago and I'm embarrassed to say I've been in groups that took longer than 4.5 hours because of stopping to let so many groups through. The problem is that there's always one of a group like this in trouble which slows the whole group down. Letting people through is clearly the right thing to do, but eventually you feel that your own group is grinding to a halt.
Even though the guy you met was out of order, you're always going to run into people like this, especially on a weekend. I find it quite stressful to be in a slow group when I know others behind are (rightly or wrongly) impatient and have also been in arguments as to where/when we should let the next lot through. My only suggestion is to avoid busy times if you can, or even to split into two 2s.

AliB

Glenfish

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. for what its worth the score card shows the regulation time being 4hrs 15mins. I don't believe that we held anyone up, the groups that we let through were more like me anticipating us delaying them. I agree that certainly the ladies that we played with do need to understand about quickening up etc but they are new though, I did find this bit stressful, hoping they were enjoying the course but also constently hurrying them up etc

I don't want to be considered a trouble maker ( because I am not) so I decided not to take any action and let it go, this time.
But we are playing twice this weekend and really hope it is OK

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think you probably made the right call as being branded a troublemaker at a new club could make the next year pretty miserable. Having made your views clear to the person concerned you would hope that it would not happen again. If it does then it may be time to bring in the committee.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like you're doing your best to keep everyone happy - I sympathise. Hope you enjoy the golf.
Let us know how it goes.

Alib

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had an experience like this before. However we were playing pretty fast yet the 3 ball behind us hit there balls on to the green while we were putting out, not once, not twice, but three times. On the third time i got an iron out and hit the ball straight back at them.... with my skill it landed nowhere near them but i think they got the picture..... It didn't happen again and all 3 of the lads apologised in the clubhouse after.

I take it you at least moved the ball onto the fringe first? Regardless of your frustration ;)

We just had a total yob banned from the club, he decided the ban was unfair and took 2 of his idiot mates with him.

His offences; cheating in a medal, swearing loudly in the clubhouse, vandalism in the gents, intimidating to other members and staff.

How does someone like that even get into a private club!? :mad:

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The member was out of order. You should mention it to the club secretary. New members and novices should be encouraged and helped to enjoy this wonderful game.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
We just had a total yob banned from the club, he decided the ban was unfair and took 2 of his idiot mates with him.

His offences; cheating in a medal, swearing loudly in the clubhouse, vandalism in the gents, intimidating to other members and staff.

How does someone like that even get into a private club!? :mad:

He was playing off 2 and an assistant pro elsewhere when he was allowed into the club.