New irons?

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

My current irons are Nike VR Full Cavity 4-PW. I bought them when I first started playing golf a few times a year during the summers around four years ago.

This year I joined my first club and I'm playing consistent. I've noticed my game has improved a lot this year and I'm slowly getting into the mid to late 80s on the scorecard. (I was around the 100 mark before I joined).

When I bought the irons second-hand, I bought them because I was told the irons have added forgiveness.

What I want to know is now my swing has improved, would it be beneficial to get different irons that could improve my game? I'm a novice with gear, so if I was to buy new/used irons I'd be unsure as what to look for.

Or should I stick with what I've got seeing as I'm still a higher handicapper? I probably just like the idea of some nice, shiny new toys.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

micklson66

Visit site
Hi all,

My current irons are Nike VR Full Cavity 4-PW. I bought them when I first started playing golf a few times a year during the summers around four years ago.

This year I joined my first club and I'm playing consistent. I've noticed my game has improved a lot this year and I'm slowly getting into the mid to late 80s on the scorecard. (I was around the 100 mark before I joined).

When I bought the irons second-hand, I bought them because I was told the irons have added forgiveness.

What I want to know is now my swing has improved, would it be beneficial to get different irons that could improve my game? I'm a novice with gear, so if I was to buy new/used irons I'd be unsure as what to look for.

Or should I stick with what I've got seeing as I'm still a higher handicapper? I probably just like the idea of some nice, shiny new toys.

Its always tempting to go out and get new irons but i think if your comfortable with the clubs you have and they are in good condition then sometimes its best to stick with what you have.
If you do go for new clubs then try and get fitted properly for them.
If you have a bit of cash to spend it may be worth having a couple of lessons from a pro and he/she should be able to offer best advise as to what clubs you should be looking for.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There's a number of answers to this and I'd say that maybe your last comment may be the decider. You like the idea of shiny new irons.
There is a belief by some that as you get better you need to change to better clubs to match it. This isn't necessarily the case.
I'm not a big club changer, my last being two years ago when I had my first ever fitting and I don't think I'll change for some time.
There's no harm in going to somewhere like American Golf and trying a few different irons against what you have to see if they really are an improvement for you.
I don't think any of the big brands make bad clubs these days but as to whether they'll improve your game, only you can decide that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a serial club changer playing off 13, I would say that if you have the urge to change it'll do no harm to do so, but, I'd suggest staying with game improver irons. I recently bought Titleist AP1's they are great clubs, easy to hit and go miles but have a classy look (in my opinion)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Nothing wrong with buying new gear but as people say lessons best way

I decided for my 30th to treat myself to a complete new bag.. I think 2 clubs made the transition .. but at same time I been having more lessons which have improved my game

The clubs were just to make me feel good did nothing different for the game really

My ping g15s were lovely clubs.. but I do love my titleist 716 ap1s

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your are getting scores in the 80s the clubs are clearly working for you.

As already said new clubs does not necessarily mean better scores possibly just a better mental attitude.

Realistically you need to ask what you are looking for in a new set - straighter, higher , lower, ability to work the ball left and right before choosing a new set. ( most clubs are longer because they have less loft or a shaft designed for more length sometimes at the expense of direction).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would stick with more forgiving clubs until your handicap is much lower if I was you. Otherwise you may find the game gets a lot harder all of a sudden.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd always advise getting clubs you like the look of too!!

I had some Ping G's, didn't ever fully like them for a few reasons , so was never keen to go and practice with them. I switched to Srixon Z565's (due to Ping club faults) and loved the way they looked and wanted to practice all day long!

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot depends on the outcomes you see from your current irons. Do you get the old cavity back boomers when the ball flies 15 yards further than you expected ? If so then a less helpful club would be worth considering. I also found that when I swapped my Ping G10's to Mizuno JPX's, even my bad hits stayed more on line and were closer to the correct distance, than with the CB's.

With less helpful clubs you do have to make better swings, but the control is so much better. Since switching I have probably hit less shots perfectly, but am scoring better.

Best plan of action is to try some on course.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally jumped the gun a bit and updated my full bag, all my equipment works for me but a went for a stiff shaft in my irons and im struggling to control them on course, (i hit a lot of thin shots) i wish i actually waited until i was a bit better before changing my irons, i will grow into them better than my last and they should do me for a few years, if you are going for new clubs get them fitted its an absolute must

Buckbeak

Visit site
Thanks for all of your feedback. I think I'll keep with mine for now and carry on with lessons to get the most out of my irons.

However, if I were to change irons. Would you recommend blades or stick with cavity clubs? Or is that a whole new debate in itself that needs to stay unanswered...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I personally jumped the gun a bit and updated my full bag, all my equipment works for me but a went for a stiff shaft in my irons and im struggling to control them on course, (i hit a lot of thin shots) i wish i actually waited until i was a bit better before changing my irons, i will grow into them better than my last and they should do me for a few years, if you are going for new clubs get them fitted its an absolute must

struggling to work out why stiff shafts would cause you to hit thins?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all of your feedback. I think I'll keep with mine for now and carry on with lessons to get the most out of my irons.

However, if I were to change irons. Would you recommend blades or stick with cavity clubs? Or is that a whole new debate in itself that needs to stay unanswered...

I would recommend either just looking at clubs made for 'better' players or a combo set to start with 7 and up CB, 8 and down Blade 'style' although not necessarily full blades.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a compromise why not look secondhand (golfbidder, affordable golf etc) and then use the money saved on lessons? Plenty of bargains around for models only a few years old that will still be forgiving

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I'd say cavity backs unless you have a defining reason for wanting blades.