New Irons

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just interested to know how often people changed their irons and what makes them change. Is it a combination of things, new model, old ones not working, just fancy a change etc?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd change mine today if finances really allowed for it. Although to be honest I have absolutely no need to change whatsoever. I play Srixon Z565's which I was fitted for when playing off 21 and needing all the help I could get. I now play off 8 and sometimes wonder if I'd gain anything from having the Z765 or Z965's in the Pw, 9, 8 and maybe 7 iron.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've changed mine on average about every 5 yrs, maybe slightly more. Unlike many on here I haven't changed this time to something new, just new to me. I change both for the sake of change, who doesn't like new things, and also because I believe I have upgraded each time. I have not worn out grooves, seen a reduction in spin etc (mainly because I don't get any in the first place), so in theory I would not HAVE to change. I have never regretted any change and have always been happy with the 'next set'.

I currently have some G25 irons, only had them a month and loving them. I am looking forward to updating them with some G400 / G401's in another 5 yrs time :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to say, I've only been playing regularly again for the past 3 or 4 years. Back then when I came back to it I was still hitting a Slazenger starter set. So I got some new irons in August 2016. But they were not the best (Callaway Warbirds) and I never saw anyone else with them so after a year I began to feel like I'd made a mistake with them - lost confidence in them I suppose. So I replaced them in January 2018 with the ones I have now. A year on, I still really like them and have no plans to change any time soon. Perhaps in 3 or 4 or 5 years I might feel the need to upgrade for something more current, but certainly not in the next couple of years.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When they wear out TBH, my Mizuno MP 4 are still going strong, though i have tried a few others in the time i've had them and none outperformed them

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cost is always my challenge but I'm getting close to commiting to buying new irons after over a decade with mine. Just got to get the fitting booked in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hard to say, I've only been playing regularly again for the past 3 or 4 years. Back then when I came back to it I was still hitting a Slazenger starter set. So I got some new irons in August 2016. But they were not the best (Callaway Warbirds) and I never saw anyone else with them so after a year I began to feel like I'd made a mistake with them - lost confidence in them I suppose. So I replaced them in January 2018 with the ones I have now. A year on, I still really like them and have no plans to change any time soon. Perhaps in 3 or 4 or 5 years I might feel the need to upgrade for something more current, but certainly not in the next couple of years.
Interesting, so if you had seen someone else using them you wouldn't have changed?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My current irons have been with me for 1 year + 1 day. That's the longest I've kept a set of irons for about 10 years. 2 years ago I had 3 sets of irons in 1 year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting, so if you had seen someone else using them you wouldn't have changed?
Not as such. I was trying to avoid going into too much detail on that post but basically:
1. When I got them I had zero knowledge of golf clubs. They were £329 brand new from AG. I later started to realise that was very cheap for new irons and I could have got a much better set for the same price second hand.
2. Seeing other people using Callaway Warbirds might have given them some legitimacy, but in not seeing that it just made me think these were irons that people avoid.
3. They had some weird 'uniflex' shafts or something. As I say, had no knowledge at the time but later decided I'd rather have plain old regular shafts.
4. I didn't just toss them on a whim have made those realisations, I started trying out new irons and found quite a few that felt much nicer before pulling the trigger on some.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My current set is about 9 weeks old, replacing a 12 month old set which replaced another 12 month old set which repla........................

You get the picture 👍

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I usually buy each new release of titleist irons so every 2 to 2.5 years. Due to lack of golf I've stuck with the 716's and will probably hold off now until a few months after release of the new set so around spring 2020.

When I am playing and practicing it's that often I don't mind upgrading every couple of years to keep them fresh and have some resale value in my old set.

D

Deleted member 25172

When I picked golf up again in 2017 after 5 years off, I simply went in and bought a Wilson package deal, including bag for £249 just to see if I could get on with golf again. Once realized that I had wasted 5 years without golf I upgraded in May last year. I'd like to buy a new set, but that's mainly for the sake of it as it's fun to buy new stuff. Given that I've become a member of a club, plus going away to play other courses I'll have to restrain myself as I'm already spending "too much" on golf this year.

The temptation of buying a new driver is driving me mad though. I decide and re-decide about 4 times a day if I'm to buy a new one.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The temptation of buying a new driver is driving me mad though. I decide and re-decide about 4 times a day if I'm to buy a new one.

Only 4? You're fine for a while. I think about new irons so often I wonder if I locked the door on the way out this morning. And where I live. And if anyone else lives there with me.

D

Deleted member 25172

Only 4? You're fine for a while. I think about new irons so often I wonder if I locked the door on the way out this morning. And where I live. And if anyone else lives there with me.

Well, did you lock the door this morning?