New Irons - maybe too hard to hit

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
To be fair some of that could be done to me. I liked the look of them, they felt great and the numbers were good. I wanted them after hitting a few balls with them. Maybe I should have kept more of an open mind.

Possibly the fitter should have levelled my expectations and known that as a 8hcp I might struggle when my swing is slightly off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To be fair some of that could be done to me. I liked the look of them, they felt great and the numbers were good. I wanted them after hitting a few balls with them. Maybe I should have kept more of an open mind.

Possibly the fitter should have levelled my expectations and known that as a 8hcp I might struggle when my swing is slightly off.
At your level (8hcp), you should be a pretty consistent ball striker, so I wouldn't blame either the fitter or yourself.
How much do you practice? And do you warm-up before rounds? If you don't, then I suggest you consider doing so, as a couple of 'not pure' shots in the first couple of holes can distort thoughts for the entire round!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to agree with homer here, sounds like a bad fitting here. Of course a lot of that is also on you, you need to see and feel the results yourself too.

Marketing blurb ~ "The new Apex TCB Irons are specifically designed for Tour players and elite golfers"

Why did an 8 handicapper get pushed onto these? Why were you even looking at these from the numerous irons that Callaway (never mind others) make?

I suppose the argument is what do you call elite in terms of handicap? Every manufacturer have their tour level offerings and then filter down towards GI clubs. I would agree that the fitter seems to have pushed the OP towards a club not suited, hence the loss on off centre hits. If it were me and I was struggling I'd be going to the fitter and explaining the issue or got another fitter and get a second fit to see what they outcome is

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I think it was me wanting the clubs after hitting them, maybe thinking I'm better than I am and wanting some "player" irons. Whatever that means. More research on the clubs before buying them would have swayed me against them. Though I'm a 8hcp I wouldn't class myself as a good/consistent ball striker.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think it was me wanting the clubs after hitting them, maybe thinking I'm better than I am and wanting some "player" irons. Whatever that means. More research on the clubs before buying them would have swayed me against them. Though I'm a 8hcp I wouldn't class myself as a good/consistent ball striker.

You don't need to be a low handicap to enjoy playing with the clubs, I'd guess that at worst you'd add two shots to your handicap from mishits, probably less.

You just need to decide; do you want a slightly lower handicap and to play ugly clubs, or are you okay a couple of shots higher and playing clubs that make you smile when you look at them.

Boomy

Visit site
At the end of last year I was fitted for some new irons (Callway TCBs) at Scottsdale golf in Warrington. It was a great set up and cant fault the fitting, but after starting this season I wondering if I've made the game harder than it needs to be.

The irons are great when hit out of the middle, though I have lost a club in yardage. The loss of yardage isnt a big issue as the dispersion is spot on, if i need to hit it further I can use a longer club. The issue is the forgivness isnt great and anything off center stands out and will usually be short of the green.

Im thinking of giving them another couple of weeks to see if the swing improves after the winter break and then they could probably end up on Ebay.

Ive been looking at the Srixon ZX7 with maybe ZX5 in the longer irons. What does everyone else use on a low to mid handicap (current handicap 8)

Quick question: Did you go to them saying you specifically wanted fitting for the Callaway TCB’s or did you try lots of different irons and they were the best for you?

Jason.H

Visit site
I did the same think as the op 20 odd years ago and it took away the enjoyment of my golf. Now I’m using cavity backs and hybrids from the 6 iron up. There’s lots of great looking irons that are forgiving these days.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You don't need to be a low handicap to enjoy playing with the clubs, I'd guess that at worst you'd add two shots to your handicap from mishits, probably less.

You just need to decide; do you want a slightly lower handicap and to play ugly clubs, or are you okay a couple of shots higher and playing clubs that make you smile when you look at them.
I'd suggest a bad fit would do a lot more damage than a couple shots

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Try practicing - with a blade!
FWIW It doesn't seem to me that the fitting was really as good as it should/could have been - or maybe you were having a great strike day!
This is why I am a bit skeptical about fittings. Unless you happen to turn up and hit your irons exactly as you do on your typical day, it is almost impossible to judge what is best for your game inside an hour. You almost want to be looked over a number of days but that isn't really realistic, unless you're willing to shell out a fair bit of cash.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

For me the smile I get in golf comes from when I hit a shot and it goes well, now I've never played with blades so they may be able to do that for me but whatever set gives me that feeling of a well struck ball will put the bigger smile on my face. I've never really thought wow blades look great and cavity backs look awful though undoubtedly there can be better or worse aesthetics in either.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
For me the smile I get in golf comes from when I hit a shot and it goes well, now I've never played with blades so they may be able to do that for me but whatever set gives me that feeling of a well struck ball will put the bigger smile on my face. I've never really thought wow blades look great and cavity backs look awful though undoubtedly there can be better or worse aesthetics in either.
Agreed. It's how the scorecard looks at the end makes me smile or not

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Agreed. It's how the scorecard looks at the end makes me smile or not

This is the conclusion I've come to. I want to play well, I want to score well, I don't need to make the game any harder than it already is. Maybe my ego got in the way when buying these clubs wanting some "player" irons whatever that really means

Though they did give me decent numbers at the fitting. I'm finding now that the more I struggle with these irons, the more I'm thinking about my swing the worse everything becomes and it's sapping my confidence in the rest of my game.

jmcp

Visit site
This is the conclusion I've come to. I want to play well, I want to score well, I don't need to make the game any harder than it already is. Maybe my ego got in the way when buying these clubs wanting some "player" irons whatever that really means

Though they did give me decent numbers at the fitting. I'm finding now that the more I struggle with these irons, the more I'm thinking about my swing the worse everything becomes and it's sapping my confidence in the rest of my game.

I moved from a set of Mizuno MP20’s to the TCB’s as I wanted a little more forgiveness but I didn’t feel the TCB’s gave me any so I eventually sold them and have bought Apex Pros which are definitely more forgiving and giving me a bit more distance and confidence but, I have sacrificed a bit of spin and to be honest, although these clubs are so far good for me, I don’t like the looks of them and would like to move back to blades again but know it would be foolish handicap wise so sticking with them. Thanks.

Cheers, John

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I moved from a set of Mizuno MP20’s to the TCB’s as I wanted a little more forgiveness but I didn’t feel the TCB’s gave me any so I eventually sold them and have bought Apex Pros which are definitely more forgiving and giving me a bit more distance and confidence but, I have sacrificed a bit of spin and to be honest, although these clubs are so far good for me, I don’t like the looks of them and would like to move back to blades again but know it would be foolish handicap wise so sticking with them. Thanks.

Cheers, John
Any clubs I buy would have to look good, or I know I would want to change them again at some point. I was wanting these irons to last about 10 years, I'm not someone who changes clubs on a regular basis. Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the TCBs.

I now have to decide whether to stick with them and hope my ball striking improves maybe getting some lessons, though I think my handicap ceiling is about 6 due the amount of practice I get and how much I play.

I could hopefully get between £600-£650 on eBay! ?. I've then got to decide where to go for a fitting, back to Scottsdale's, though I'm not keen on spending another £100 just on the fitting. Sub70 are appealing, but that ties me in to 1 brand.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is why I am a bit skeptical about fittings. Unless you happen to turn up and hit your irons exactly as you do on your typical day, it is almost impossible to judge what is best for your game inside an hour. You almost want to be looked over a number of days but that isn't really realistic, unless you're willing to shell out a fair bit of cash.

Surely its the same with off the shelf clubs and at least with a fitting you'll have hit the club before buying.

Jason.H

Visit site
Any clubs I buy would have to look good, or I know I would want to change them again at some point. I was wanting these irons to last about 10 years, I'm not someone who changes clubs on a regular basis. Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the TCBs.

I now have to decide whether to stick with them and hope my ball striking improves maybe getting some lessons, though I think my handicap ceiling is about 6 due the amount of practice I get and how much I play.

I could hopefully get between £600-£650 on eBay! ?. I've then got to decide where to go for a fitting, back to Scottsdale's, though I'm not keen on spending another £100 just on the fitting. Sub70 are appealing, but that ties me in to 1 brand.

If you know the specs from your last fitting you could buy a 2nd hand set to those specs. I’m standard length, lie so I can easily buy a set and not have to wait for weeks.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...have bought Apex Pros which are definitely more forgiving and giving me a bit more distance and confidence but, I have sacrificed a bit of spin and to be honest, although these clubs are so far good for me, I don’t like the looks of them...
Seriously? The seem nice enough looking to me - and looks is definitely one of my selection criteria. Mind you, the TM 790s are seriously nice looking in that area of the market.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I went for a fitting the other week at Ping. I had me sights set on some new 525i. They are gorgeous. But it felt I was flogging me guts out to try and hit a decent shot. And gaining nothing. Am Staying with my G max irons

jmcp

Visit site
Seriously? The seem nice enough looking to me - and looks is definitely one of my selection criteria. Mind you, the TM 790s are seriously nice looking in that area of the market.

I thought They looked better in the flesh than they did on website pictures which is why I bought them on the spur of the moment but I am biased and really only like the looks of bladed irons but have had to accept that if I want to improve my handicap then I need something more forgiving. I agree that the P790 is as good looking as it gets in that section of the market.

Cheers, John

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
If you know the specs from your last fitting you could buy a 2nd hand set to those specs. I’m standard length, lie so I can easily buy a set and not have to wait for weeks.

That's an option, I'm standard Length and I think it was 1°upright. Which with tolerances being 1-2° isn't really worth worrying about.