Which clubs should I get

• Cobra radspeed irons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylormade m2 irons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dlloyd

Visit site
Hi there, I have a problem that I hope some expert advise can help me out with. I have been playing golf for the past 20 years on and off with a starter set of irons that were bought for me. I am no great player and usually shoot in the 90’s. I want to start taking golf more seriously and buy a new set of irons, driver etc. And work on my game. I have been to a few shops and liked the cobra radspeed irons which performed pretty well for me on the range (although when trying to get fit the guy told me to keep everything standard as being more of a beginner things wouldn’t help my game - which seemed odd or I’m just that bad I can’t tell ;). My problem is this - I liked these clubs but I also saw that for half the price I could get the Taylor made m2 irons (which I have not been able to try out.) Has technology in these clubs changed so much over the last couple of years to warrant the cobra? As for the same price as the cobra I could also upgrade to a decent driver and have my irons. Both sets seem to have good reviews and if my advice from the expert in store was not to change anything from standard anyway would there be a big difference? Sorry for the long post but would appreciate people’s views! Thanks in advance!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'd guess no-one can really answer this for you. Are they both likely to be a step improvement from your current - most likely.
As you are questioning the expense, then maybe go with your hunch and spread the money across other clubs. Or locate a proper fitter (where you may find something different is a better match for you - but will most likely be on new range items)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As someone who's changed his irons fairly regularly over the last 20 years I'd say that I've played just as well with "off the shelf" irons as custom fit and my best ever rounds have actually been with non custom clubs. Maybe this is because I'm a pretty standard height and usually like a shaft that's just between regular and stiff so, for example, my current irons Taylormade P790 are stiff.

At this stage I'd say, go for the cheaper clubs.If you can try one of the irons so much the better but, in general, Taylormade clubs are usually pretty good, easy to hit and go miles.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely no idea about the Cobra irons.

What I can say is that TaylorMade (like a lot of manufacturers) bring out new irons every year and try to convince us that they are better than last years irons and if that were the case those that of us who have played for years should by now be hitting a 7 iron 240 yards dead straight every time regardless of where on the face we have hit the ball.