New irons - Callaway Apex cf16 or Ping I200

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Apex CF16 every day of the week

Owned then and loved them and only changed to Steelhead XR Pro following a fitting at Callaway Chessington

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently bought some Mizuno forged JPX tour, these deserve a look but did try the other two .
Thought the Pings really nice but I hit them a little low.
The Callaway were lovely but a bit more chunky imo.
Its hard to say tbh as your personal preference will decide.

Have a look at the Mizuno though I love them.

the problem is to much choice , demo them both ,enjoy.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you want to hit your irons for miles with very little spin, the cf16s are the ones, don't come complaining when they don't hold the greens though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I liked the I200 when I hit them and don't think you'd go wrong. Are you looking brand new or would you look second hand? Looks wise I'd opt for the Callaway. Would you be looking to hit before you buy or taking a totally blind punt. If you aren't going to hit them, then surely a cheaper set second hand would reduce any potential liability and would you not be likely to get closer to the price you paid?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the apex have very hot faces. great when you strike it well but very inconsistent when you dont.

the ping i200 will provide much more consistent ball speeds but you won't get the distance that the apex provide from a center strike

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I tried both, and on the fitting day, the Callaway were much better than the Pings for me. Better dispersion, better looks, better distance and better feel. Been playing them for almost a year with a rotten swing, as mentioned by others, they go a country mile, some ridiculous distances last summer. They're holding the greens at the moment, but did run through a bit last summer. I'll put that down to my dodgy swing. Starting to improve again now, hitting them a bit more consistently and looking forward to playing in better conditions.

I changed from Ping G15 irons as game had improved quite a bit. On the fitting day, the Callaways were marginally better than the TM P770, although I did like the TM's a lot too, decided to go with the Apex CF16.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly wouldn't buy any club blind, would always hit beforehand. Would consider second hand, but would go for a fitting first to get the right spec.

That is your answer. Try.

Wouldn't take anyone on here's biased opinions based on what they prefer/play.

I recently went for a new driver and went in with a preconceived idea that I was buying a certain brand. An hour and a half later I left with a fitting for a very very (for me) left field choice and something I wouldn't have ever considered prior to being given it to try.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I went and got fitted for cf16s but got the pros instead. The cfs are mental long if you middle them. I bought a cf16 4 iron for certain courses and I measured one his at 251 on a flat hole parkland with no run.....dont think I've middled it since.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was in AG yesterday and had a look at the Mixuno JPX. Wow, lovely looking iron, they've moved top of the list. Just need to hit them now

just be mindful that the new jpx range will be out this year.. they be a good saving to be made on the current jpx

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in AG yesterday and had a look at the Mixuno JPX. Wow, lovely looking iron, they've moved top of the list. Just need to hit them now

One thing to be slightly wary of with the JPX is the peak height. I had the 900 forged and found the ball flight to be a bit too low. Switched to the p790s and the flight is considerably higher for me. I’ve heard a few people say similar things about the mizunos, but if they work for you they are great. I did love the feel of a sweetly struck Mizuno iron