New golfer

SevenOverGolf

Visit site
Hi there,

I’m Matt, I’m 29 & have NEVER played golf before, I’m literally starting from scratch.

I’ve just got myself come clubs, balls and a pack of tee's. I've had a single lesson, joined a golf club & I'm now on my way to getting to my goal of becoming a competitive, solid golfer. The aim is to have fun as I go along, I've just joined a club so I know I'll be able to practice at the range & it's a nice little 9 hole course so I'll be able to practice in a good setting. Like I said above, I have never played before but as a carer, this is my way to have time to myself. I enjoyed my first lesson greatly & I can't wait to get back on the course.

I do have a twitter account, @SevenOverGolf which is where I am keeping things upto date aswell as writing the odd blog post here & there.

I've got no handicap, so I am working towards getting one. I know it's playing 54 holes but does the marker have to be a club official?

I look forward to talking to you & meeting more golfers!

Take care & stay safe,

Matt

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I've got no handicap, so I am working towards getting one. I know it's playing 54 holes but does the marker have to be a club official?
Enjoy your golf, it's the best game in the world.

There's no reason this should be the case, but you need to email your handicap secretary and ask what the process is at your club as every club will have their own little idiosyncracies.

AAC

Visit site
Hi Matt

Your very welcome here & glad to hear that you are taking up golf, having played for 50 years I can assure you that it will frustrate you, annoy you and you wiil probably love it and hate it in equal measures as just when you think your winning the golfing gods will bite you on the bum.
TRY to enjoy it, its not your living so don't get stressed (but we all do)

Let us know where you play, its odds on a forum member will be nearby and as in the main we are a good bunch would be happy to play with you.

A rules expert might have to correct me but I think as long as your card is signed/verified by someone who has an official EG handicap that is sufficient.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Hi Matt

Your very welcome here & glad to hear that you are taking up golf, having played for 50 years I can assure you that it will frustrate you, annoy you and you wiil probably love it and hate it in equal measures as just when you think your winning the golfing gods will bite you on the bum.
TRY to enjoy it, its not your living so don't get stressed (but we all do)

Let us know where you play, its odds on a forum member will be nearby and as in the main we are a good bunch would be happy to play with you.

A rules expert might have to correct me but I think as long as your card is signed/verified by someone who has an official EG handicap that is sufficient.
This is not a requirement unless specified by your club, hence my post above abotu asking his specific club.

Skytot

Visit site
Welcome Matt,
Ha ha see what I did there ?
Anyway , you’ve definitely done the right thing in having lessons before you pick up bad habits. Enjoy the highs and lows & keep us updated on your progress.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Lots of pointless arguments, but also a lot of knowledge of the game and courses.

It's a brilliant game that will get you addicted and infuriate you.

A little advice if I may, practice your short game. Every new golfer I know always goes for their long game and neglects their short game. You will improve your score a lot quicker if you can get your short game firing.

Good luck

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome along.
One tip for you....
When people offer you advice on your swing (and they will), thank them politely and then forget what they said.
Stick with your pro.
Having said that.....
Learn how to hold the thing properly
Learn how to stand at the start of the swing
And learn how to stand at the end of the swing

SevenOverGolf

Visit site
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Lots of pointless arguments, but also a lot of knowledge of the game and courses.

It's a brilliant game that will get you addicted and infuriate you.

A little advice if I may, practice your short game. Every new golfer I know always goes for their long game and neglects their short game. You will improve your score a lot quicker if you can get your short game firing.

Good luck

Thank you for the advice, I've asked my clubs Pro to book another lesson on the course to practice short game. I had a successful lesson developing my swing and habits, plus had an extra hour and a half on the range after my lesson to practice. Short game is my next thing to develop. It'll be my second lesson.

Welcome along.
One tip for you....
When people offer you advice on your swing (and they will), thank them politely and then forget what they said.
Stick with your pro.
Having said that.....
Learn how to hold the thing properly
Learn how to stand at the start of the swing
And learn how to stand at the end of the swing

Thank you for the advice buddy, I had a good first lesson developing my swing, grip and managing the club face so I'll be hitting the range to practice more.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Welcome Matt, you might recognise my avatar from Twitter, and so I already know how much you’re enjoying getting into the game.
I’ve got to get my own official handicap sorted when I get back to the uk - ideally find somebody that’s friendly and it’ll make the process a lot more enjoyable for you, and then once you’ve got that sorted, you can have a dabble at a comp or two, which is where the enjoyment steps up a notch. ?

SevenOverGolf

Visit site
Welcome Matt, you might recognise my avatar from Twitter, and so I already know how much you’re enjoying getting into the game.
I’ve got to get my own official handicap sorted when I get back to the uk - ideally find somebody that’s friendly and it’ll make the process a lot more enjoyable for you, and then once you’ve got that sorted, you can have a dabble at a comp or two, which is where the enjoyment steps up a notch. ?

Hello bud,

Good to see a familiar avatar. I'm quite excited to get onto the course again. Will keep you posted on twitter! Can't wait to hit the comps, that's my aim for the end of 2022

Coreservers

Visit site
Was given great advice by a plus 4 handicapper when in started out.
Book a couple of lessons, not too many at once... then go away for a couple of weeks and work on what those lessons have taught you. Then book a couple more, and again go away for a few weeks to just work on that part. saves you becoming over loaded with techniques and info.