New golfer

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
Hi 1st if I’m new here so hi all. I’m 38 and have recently got into golf. I’ve been going to my local golf range in hull which has top tracer bays I use. I have bought a beginners set of Wilson clubs to get me going. Now I’m registered sight imparted so if I was to go on a course once I have got my ball I can’t see where it’s gone. Which really really annoys me because I want to get lessons and learn to play. Would you say I’m basically stuck on the range because of my eye condition ? Apart from taking Simone with me I feel really restricted. Does anyone have any advice at all. I dont have any friends who like golf ha
many thanks ?⛳

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are not alone in wanting to play golf with a sight impairment. We have had a few of our seniors with varying degrees of macular degeneration and other players were perfectly happy to be ball spotters once they knew the situation. I'm sure that, if you ask around at clubs local to you and explain your situation, you might be surprised by the responses. If Hull wasn't so far from us, we would be happy to have you.

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
You are not alone in wanting to play golf with a sight impairment. We have had a few of our seniors with varying degrees of macular degeneration and other players were perfectly happy to be ball spotters once they knew the situation. I'm sure that, if you ask around at clubs local to you and explain your situation, you might be surprised by the responses. If Hull wasn't so far from us, we would be happy to have you.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve only started about a month half ago but I’m really hooked and not been on a course yet. I will take your advice and ask at a local club thank you

Brads

Visit site
I have just taken up golf as glaucoma has stopped me shooting.
I’m just planning to hijack another player to find my ball once I get to that stage ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Email all the local clubs you could reasonably play ay buddy, and see who comes back with the most willing offer to get you along to experience playing. There will be members at some clubs only too happy to help you get on the course.
If you can take somebody with you to help 'spot' as well, even better.

Good luck, you have got yourself on a brilliant sporting journey.

RichA

Visit site
Hi 1st if I’m new here so hi all. I’m 38 and have recently got into golf. I’ve been going to my local golf range in hull which has top tracer bays I use. I have bought a beginners set of Wilson clubs to get me going. Now I’m registered sight imparted so if I was to go on a course once I have got my ball I can’t see where it’s gone. Which really really annoys me because I want to get lessons and learn to play. Would you say I’m basically stuck on the range because of my eye condition ? Apart from taking Simone with me I feel really restricted. Does anyone have any advice at all. I dont have any friends who like golf ha
many thanks ?⛳
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find a friendly local club where people will be happy to watch your ball. In all honesty, I'd be screwed half the time if my playing partners didn't keep an eye on mine. It's not that much of a bother.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Dan, I’m from Hull. I play at Beverley, just started last August. It’s a really good club. I’d be happy to take you out for a game and see what you think. I dont know if I’m the best ball spotter but I’m okay, I don’t miss many now I’ve got my new glasses!!???

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played a match last summer against someone who suffers form tunnel vision. He messaged me before the match and asked if I was willing to allow him to have a spotter to watch where his ball went. I agreed and one of his usual playing partners helped him out. The spotter walked with us chatting to where my opponents ball had landed and, once it was found, he then stepped well away. He didn't offer any advice on the shot at all which was good to see. Turned out to be a very pleasant round.

And I won on the 17th :cool:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My cousin lost his sight 3-4 years ago, he’s in his 50s. He used to play golf when he was younger but unfortunately alcoholism took over.

Since going blind he’s totally changed, tee-total and has started having golf lessons. He even came away on our golf weekend last year to see if he’d enjoy it. He did and he’s hoping to come and play the next one.

He’ll need someone to line him up of course, but the swing’s still there and he’s really enjoying it.

We’re nowhere near you unfortunately but I have no doubt there’ll be others in a similar situation locally. Perhaps email the local clubs to ask or even the range you’re going to. Also, we contacted the blind golf association, link below, they gave us a few suggestions:

https://ewblindgolf.co.uk/

Good luck ??

AAC

Visit site
I had my second cataract operation last Friday, haven't been back on the course yet but been to the range a couple of times and now when I hit the ball I can see its flight clearly (even the odd good shot). Previously I was exactly like you, my regular PP's all new how my sight was and would spot for me, if I was playing with a new partner/opponent I would tell them on the first tee and invariably they would happily spot for me.

I would suggest that you let people know your issue and I bet you will get nothing but help.

I hope you enjoy your golf when you get on the course, and maybe we will see you on a forum meet some time soon

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
thank you so much everyone for the brilliant advise i will take it all on board and msg my local clubs see what i can find out. i didn't think of even asking at the range it has a American golf shop attached and the lads in there are really helpful so ill have a word with them too.

i have emailed the bling golf web site a while ago but no one ever got back

thansk guys

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome Dan.

I'm also local to you and would be more than happy to help. Carry on going to the range at One Stop Golf and when you feel you are ready to venture onto a course give one of us a shout.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be very hopeful that if you joined a club and played regularly you'd find a group happy to play with you and assist with ball spotting. As it is, I rely heavily on other members of my 4 ball - I'm terrible at tracking the ball!

Hope you get sorted and can bring your range skills to the course.