New golfer tries latest clubs

Brads

Visit site
Wow haha what a revelation.

I have only just started golf and had my old mans old clubs just to get hitting balls.

Was mooching at AG and booked a starter fitting type session and had a chance to hit balls with a few 2021 irons ! holy crap.
The Tiliest t300 was like a frigging magic wand lol.

Very impressed, and the tracking showed the results as well. Faster longer straighter and easier to hit.

Damn ! very spendy times ahead I reckon.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow haha what a revelation.

I have only just started golf and had my old mans old clubs just to get hitting balls.

Was mooching at AG and booked a starter fitting type session and had a chance to hit balls with a few 2021 irons ! holy crap.
The Tiliest t300 was like a frigging magic wand lol.

Very impressed, and the tracking showed the results as well. Faster longer straighter and easier to hit.

Damn ! very spendy times ahead I reckon.

You can't beat hitting the new clubs, but be very careful. I would always advise a beginer to get a good set of 2nd hand clubs that are a couple of years old. I only say this as a beginer can get better very quickly and out grow the clubs they start with. That brand new set of irons you just paid a grand for is only worth about 500 in 12 months, where as a 2nd hand set can be moved on for more or less what you paid for them. But hey it's your money, good luck and welcome to golf.

Brads

Visit site
My thought would be more along the lines of buying a set good enough to do me for years.
If I got good enough to need better that those Tileist I’d be happy to fork out for a players set lol

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thought would be more along the lines of buying a set good enough to do me for years.
If I got good enough to need better that those Tileist I’d be happy to fork out for a players set lol
There are sets of Titleist t300 on eBay for half the new price.
If you must try Hotgolf.co.uk they have a 10% off code HOT10 for over £100 they are the cheapest I have seen.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
There are sets of Titleist t300 on eBay for half the new price.
If you must try Hotgolf.co.uk they have a 10% off code HOT10 for over £100 they are the cheapest I have seen.

Recommendation for Hotgolf.

Had my fitting, clubs wouldn't arrive for 7 months. after waiting 3. No stock etc..

Ordered the set on hotgolf with the correct shaft, arrived next day. Saving 400 quid too!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I do see your reasoning, but it has one major flaw. If you improve quickly you can outgrow your clubs quickly. Some people pick it up really quickly, others hack around for years. Those clubs that you find rip it out there now, all of a sudden are just hitting it sky high, going nowhere and you loose control. Maybe I am playing devils advocate here, but I have seen plenty of players that after 12-18 months outgrow their clubs when they start and get annoyed that they are barely worth half of what they paid for them. Within 18 months of starting golf as a kid I was on my 3rd set after 18 months.

If you want some shiny new ones, you go for it. Nothing like when you see that Titleist box arrive, you open it and carefully pull the wrap from the heads and look at them.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I do see your reasoning, but it has one major flaw. If you improve quickly you can outgrow your clubs quickly. Some people pick it up really quickly, others hack around for years. Those clubs that you find rip it out there now, all of a sudden are just hitting it sky high, going nowhere and you loose control. Maybe I am playing devils advocate here, but I have seen plenty of players that after 12-18 months outgrow their clubs when they start and get annoyed that they are barely worth half of what they paid for them. Within 18 months of starting golf as a kid I was on my 3rd set after 18 months.

If you want some shiny new ones, you go for it. Nothing like when you see that Titleist box arrive, you open it and carefully pull the wrap from the heads and look at them.

If you're confident its the game for you then don't be afraid of getting clubs to "grow" into.

I got a set of mizuno jpx 921 forged when I was playing off 18 or so and have no regrets, even though they were recommended for 14 and below depending on who you believe.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you're confident its the game for you then don't be afraid of getting clubs to "grow" into.

I got a set of mizuno jpx 921 forged when I was playing off 18 or so and have no regrets, even though they were recommended for 14 and below depending on who you believe.

All this recommended handicap range is more of a guideline. I've played with 18 handicappers that hit the ball like a dream, but can not chip or putt ot save their life.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
All this recommended handicap range is more of a guideline. I've played with 18 handicappers that hit the ball like a dream, but can not chip or putt ot save their life.

Very true, but I would never have considered myself that good a ballstriker, certainly not at the time.

Brads

Visit site
I’ll be buying from my local pro anyway after an in depth fitting.I tried the Mizunos but didn’t like them half as much as the Titleist.
I hit the T200 as well and really liked them so I’ll take the pro advice at fitting and see what he says.
Got a few other brands to try anyway .
Growing into a set is something I’d be thinking about. I’d rather hit less good with good clubs I can develop into than hit good with clubs I’d struggle to improve with.
If that makes sense.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
All the above being said, unless you're playing the really big SGI irons like the Cleveland launchers etc where you may lose a bit of feel and workability, I would argue that t300s would be more than fine for a long time no matter how low your handicap got.

I used to do a lot of mountain biking and it was so easy to convince yourself you needed x bike as you didn't feel that your current bike was good enough. Whereas in reality the average weekend warrior (such as myself) probably only used about 60% of their current bikes capabilities anyway.

Brads

Visit site
The standard AMT in regular flex suited me but as I say , the local pro will do a proper fitting when I order from him.
Not much chance I’ll buy second hand.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The standard AMT in regular flex suited me but as I say , the local pro will do a proper fitting when I order from him.
Not much chance I’ll buy second hand.
Have you factored in there is a big waiting time for new clubs.
Depending what you buy obviously.
Nice new clubs though , great.

Brads

Visit site
Yeh , seems to be around 8 weeks or so just now.
Pretty much the same in any sport just now.
Hopefully get the fitting soon and get the ball rolling.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Following this with interest. Returned to regular play at end of August after a 10 year break! so all my clubs are at least 10 years old and I’m thinking are new ones better or is it all hype. I suppose the only way to know is to go and hit a few.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on this for my wife at the moment. She's only started playing over the last couple of months, and she's been using my mum's clubs that we've nicked. They must be a good 15-20 years old. Made by Howson I think. They were probably forgiving for the time, but they don't look as forgiving as my irons, for example. I don't think she wants us to spend money on her golf at the moment anyway, so a bit of a moot point, but I was wondering anyway, would she be better off getting newer clubs that might be easier to hit, or learning to hit the ones she's got. Doing the latter would take longer, possibly more rewarding in the long run, but she is only playing to have fun after all. It's a head-scratcher.