new golf irons

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello been playing golf for about 3 years now and got my handicap down from 24 to 17. Now I think its time to get some new clubs. I am using at the moment Ping G5 driver 10.5 loft, Taylor made mid rescue 19 degree and Taylor made rac os irons 3-SW and a ping G2i putter. I cant afford brand new clubs and to be custom fitted, i am looking for some game improving clubs maybe the ping g10 driver and irons.i would just like some advice on some recommended clubs as I think new clubs are needed. I hit the ball ok my driving is a bit ropey as seem to hit a fade but can hit it around 230 to 260 yards,with my irons probably hit my 7 iron around the 150-160 mark with ok accuracy.

regard Rob

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The TM Rac are decent irons, don't expect a huge difference if you replace them. If you fancy the Ping go to the Ping website and use their custom fitting tool, it will give you a spec and you can then search for a used set that fit you on Ebay. Should be some good deals on the G10 with the new model now out.

You might be better saving the cash and getting some lessons, but I know what it's like when yu just want some new gear

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be very careful with eBay, there are a lot of fakes around.

I'm not sure that there is a huge difference between the G5 and G10. It might be worth upgrading a bit at a time as you can afford it rather than stretch the budget to try and replace the lot.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Taylor made rac os irons 3-SW and a ping G2i putter. I cant afford brand new clubs and to be custom fitted, i am looking for some game improving clubs maybe the ping g10 driver and irons.

OK. So you have TM RAC OS and are thinking about changing them for some Pings.
f.w.i.w. Taylor Made (and Mizuno for that matter) generally don't make super game improvement irons. The supposedly "forgiving" irons are still quite conventional or just into the game improvement category, just like you have.

Ralph Maltby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Maltby

runs a scientific process to assess the physical attributes of golf clubs. It's called the MPF. I know that some people are a little sceptical about it (thinking that Ralph is only in it to promote his own club designs) but he knows his stuff. The astonishing discovery I made last year is that all the sets of irons I have chosen for myself over the years (after trying/testing) have almost identical scores on the MPF chart.

If I was to tell you that according to the MPF ratings chart the TM RAC OS are actually one of the best game improvement sets Taylor Made ever produced and spending your hard earned money on some Pings (G series) is going to give you almost nothing. If you were playing with a horrible set of players irons, I'd say go and beg, borrow or steal to buy some new clubs. As it is, I can't see any point. Spend £100 on a few lessons and enjoy your irons. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What does Maltby say about the current irons. Perhaps if the OP gets some sort of trade in or ups the budget (if possible) which clubs would suit him best according to the index.

I tend to think that unless new clubs are on the agenda then perhaps some lessons and maybe a new wedge would be the way to go