New drivers

golfygolf

Visit site
Just after a bit of advice from the well informed...

I haven't played for about eight years and am just getting back in. I'm using my old Titleist 975 D Driver stiff graphgite shaft.

I used to play off 3 and still hit it about 280 carry but my question is...

How much better is the new technology out there and are the new clubs hitting it longer? I know the ultimate answer is to go try some, just wanted some opinions from here first.

Which are the best of the current crop of drivers?

Thanks

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try the TM superfast 2.0 you might be surprised at how well it goes, especially if you do hit a long ball.
Hybrids are rubbish, keep your iron set intact :D

Worm hooked, line cast............Let's see if I can get me a marlin.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only been playing 4 years so not really in a position to comment on how technology has changed things but Im sure there's chaps on here that can tell you more about that.
With regards to current Drivers - if you hit the Titleist well before you wont go wrong with their new offerings the 909 or 910. Got a couple of mates who play off Scratch or similer and they swear by Titleist.
The hybrid thing is a regular debate on here some love them some hate them - Worth trying one I reckon.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was off 3 when I quit in 2004 so like you I had to try and get up to date with technology. I also used to use the 975D (still in the garage) but now use a Ping i15. The benefits over the old 975 are enormous , it hits it further without question and it is so much more foregiving and also it just sits better behind the ball. I sometimes still get the old titleist out and cant believe I ever used to get it airborne. Most modern drivers will be the same and its a case of finding the one that suits you in your price bracket.

As for hybrids...pfft...if you were a good iron player like I was then dont bother and get used to hitting 2/3/4 irons again. I have never been able to get on with hybrids and only hit one good one every 3 shots with them. Long irons just seem right to me

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I personally don't like the newer drivers with 460 heads.I stopped playing for 3 years till about a month ago.I used to have a R7 Quad TP,and have recently changed to a R7 425 TP,which is a 5 year old model,funny thing is,i still use a Grafalloy Prolite shaft in my driver,i've tried dozens of modern shafts,and can't find anything that suits my swing as much as the Prolite.
On the subject of Hybrids,give them a try,i think you'll be amazed how versatile they are.I loved my 2 Iron,but they are pretty limited,worse than useless from the rough,and difficult to hit well off anything but a perfect lie.My 09 Rescue TP 19* hits the ball a similar distance to my 2 Iron,but on a much higher trajectory,and its very easy to hit from bad lies and rough.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 909 d3 and its a good job, I know that a lot people go on about the 910, but the 909, works for me normally.

nike drivers are not bad either, found my machspeed long and straight, but def prefer the titleist.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just after a bit of advice from the well informed...

I haven't played for about eight years and am just getting back in. I'm using my old Titleist 975 D Driver stiff graphgite shaft.

I used to play off 3 and still hit it about 280 carry but my question is...

How much better is the new technology out there and are the new clubs hitting it longer? I know the ultimate answer is to go try some, just wanted some opinions from here first.

Which are the best of the current crop of drivers?

Thanks

Here's my 2p worth of the drivers I've hit recently:
910d3 - player's club. Can shape it, sits nicely, lovely looking, just a bit dead feeling for me. Not that forgiving.
R11 TP - performs excellently, low flight, reasonably forgiving, better player club, can shape a bit, sound ok but lack of feel, and White!
VR Pro - great shaft, looks nice, lack of feel though, hard to find the sweetspot, very long when middle found
i15 - lovely looking club, great sound and feel, workable, set to open at face, not adjustable.

Actually, that's 4p worth :rolleyes:

T

thecraw

thanks for this new driver.it really helps a lot of golfers.as a golfer any driver that will help my play more comfortable will be appreciated.thanks for sharing.

What?????? :D :D :D

English I can please it have!!!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
look at the posters location craw, next up, " we spekalize in the bestestest brandz on market at holesale price, R11 only $129, Razor tour only $149 "

golfygolf

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up guys, very helpful. Really looking forward to hitting some now. I was always a titleist man though...

Then I might have to have a look at my x12 pro series. Expensive times...