New Driver

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am sure I will get a few different answers but would welcome some advice.

I am finally looking to upgrade my pretty old driver.

As discussed the big manufacturers latest offerings are eye wateringly expensive, and if I opt for an after market shaft could be looking at £700 which is just silly amounts of money.

I have looked at some other options so would like your opinion.

Big manufacturers previous seasons models, could get a Callaway from 2-3 years ago a lot cheaper and would out perform my current driver

A sale item like the PXGs on the other thread

Buying from a manufacturer like Orka or Sub70, they get pretty good reviews, maybe not as good as the latest Taylormades but almost half the cost

If you have any other ideas as well please let me know

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They are not sale items they are PXGs decision to offer a cheaper version to get players to try their equipment

The thing about cost of them though is the price ramps up if you want anything other the the stock shaft, grip etc

I think it is Rick Shields that says TaylorMade have never really got better performance out their clubs since the M2. The reviews of the PXG 0211 I looked said about 5 yards down on the TM Stealth.

I still play an M4 having tried the Sim and the Stealth I see no reason to really change other than on a whim.

dronfield

Visit site
They are not sale items they are PXGs decision to offer a cheaper version to get players to try their equipment

The thing about cost of them though is the price ramps up if you want anything other the the stock shaft, grip etc

I think it is Rick Shields that says TaylorMade have never really got better performance out their clubs since the M2. The reviews of the PXG 0211 I looked said about 5 yards down on the TM Stealth.

I still play an M4 having tried the Sim and the Stealth I see no reason to really change other than on a whim.

Rick Shields did a similar review of Ping drivers from the G20 through to G400 and came to same conclusions re inc in performance - from memory i think the G20 (oldest on test) performed the best.
A couple of months ago i bought a used G25 driver for £90 and have been delighted with it.

Reactions: Doh

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've tried quite a few drivers last year, and none performed as well as my original M2.

Still plenty of those about nearly new, get the right shaftcand they are hard to beat.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Have a look at the original blue callaway rogue driver - they’re beasts.

I’ve tried a few of the latest drivers and nothing comes close to it

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Have a look at the original blue callaway rogue driver - they’re beasts.

I’ve tried a few of the latest drivers and nothing comes close to it
I had a Rogue and moved it on as it wasn't forgiving enough for my rubbish swing! ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They are also offering stupid discounts on the 08 range of premium drivers too.

200 quid I think which still represents a sale imo.

Teebs

Visit site
Have a look at a Callaway Epic Speed, really cheap now and still used by plenty of professionals on tour..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not just wait a litle bit, and see if anyone decides to move something on after trying a PXG, whether it's their older driver or a not wanted PXG;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am sure I will get a few different answers but would welcome some advice.

I am finally looking to upgrade my pretty old driver.

As discussed the big manufacturers latest offerings are eye wateringly expensive, and if I opt for an after market shaft could be looking at £700 which is just silly amounts of money.

I have looked at some other options so would like your opinion.

Big manufacturers previous seasons models, could get a Callaway from 2-3 years ago a lot cheaper and would out perform my current driver

Buying from a manufacturer like Orka or Sub70, they get pretty good reviews, maybe not as good as the latest Taylormades but almost half the cost

If you have any other ideas as well please let me know

I’ve always purchased the previous models and very rarely lose less than 50.00 an upgrade, it also helps that I stay the same brand so often buy based on the head as the shaft doesn’t matter. I paid 175 for my cobra f8 (ex demo) and a 18 months later sold for 150. They are deals if you look hard enough

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
they dont come much noisier either
I really don't understand the noise thing. ! couldn't give a rat's furry behind what a driver sounds like if it's going to keep me on the short stuff.
In fairness, you and Oddsocks are a worse noise on a golf course. ???