New driver?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a TaylorMade R15 with a Matrix Ozick White Tie 5x3 shaft. The shaft came with my RBZ2 and I switched the head out for an R15 a couple of years later.

Given the R15 is a few years old now, would I benefit from a new driver? I’m not after extra distance, but who wouldn’t appreciate a bit more forgiveness?

The parameters for any purchase would be as follows:

- Second hand / stock from a couple of years ago
- Budget : around £150 to £200
- I’d certainly consider switching the R15 head for something else and keeping the current shaft

Given the budget constraints I’d assumed it wouldn’t be worth switching because without a fitting I’m unlikely to realise a tangible benefit over what I’m already playing with.

Stick with what I’ve got or try something new? And suggestions on which clubs I should be looking at? I’m a big fan of Srixon kit, the Z785 looks tempting and reasonably priced. What else is there of the right price / vintage that I should think about?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2016 M2. Still one of the best ever. Or Ping G400 line.

Thank you - The M2 is tempting because I could just switch it straight on to the shaft I have already.....would it be a big difference to the R15 though, given only 1 year difference?

I’m sure the G400 is great, but I’m not sure I like the crown pattern.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Id be surprised if someone at your club doesnt have an M2 you can try. But yeah, I'd expect to see a difference. As much as any other new driver anyway!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At that price you're probably looking M2, M4 or Rogue from the Big Boys
Not sure the 785 is particularly forgiving but I've not hit one.
On paper there will be a difference in forgiveness...in real life...not hugely convinced it's measurable in the time span between the clubs.
But if something lights your candle....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The r15 wasn't the greatest driver anyhow. With the new drivers coming out in January your budget will get you
Ping g400
Calaway epic flash
Taylormade m5/6
Cobra speedzone

Oh and keeping the shaft can be dodgy. Just because you like it in the r15 doesn't mean it will suit in a different head. I loved the aldila tour green in my M1. It was a disaster in my ping g410

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As above, it a about finding the right head/shaft combo.

I've got a G400, but the stock shaft didn't suit me at all.
manston gol range usually have second hand drivers for sale that you can take on the range to try, the have too trace r too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as said above M2, i have that with the same shaft, tried all the new drivers last year and none came near the M2/ white tie shaft combination.

about as forgiving as they come

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The r15 wasn't the greatest driver anyhow. With the new drivers coming out in January your budget will get you
Ping g400
Calaway epic flash
Taylormade m5/6
Cobra speedzone

Oh and keeping the shaft can be dodgy. Just because you like it in the r15 doesn't mean it will suit in a different head. I loved the aldila tour green in my M1. It was a disaster in my ping g410

Interesting, thanks. What were the perceived issues with the R15?

In tests I’ve seen from a quick google, it seems to perform fairly consistently with the M2. The problem with tests conducted by elite golfers though is it’s not very real world.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd certainly look at the Ping drivers, I have the G400 LST and on the odd occasion I hit it properly it goes miles. They have them at West Malling I believe, that's not far for you if I remember ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If your not after more distance but want more accuracy have you considered just putting a shorter shaft in and trying that?

Plus it’s the cheapest option.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

In tests I’ve seen from a quick google, it seems to perform fairly consistently with the M2. The problem with tests conducted by elite golfers though is it’s not very real world.

Efficient strikes havent moved since about 2005 when the limits came in. Forgiveness has moved on leaps and bounds. So watching peoples 'best' drives go the same distance is pretty common. And its actually pretty rare anyone talks about improvements in consistency of distance (rather than dispersion...). You really need to test for yourself.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you'd be surprised at how little benefit there is in a switch, assuming the spec of your current driver is correct.

And of course the issue of how do you convince yourself a change is a better move?

I wouldn't be afraid to buy two or three 2nd hand options on E-bay, and test at a Top Tracer or Trackman range. Obviously you need to be prepared to then sell the 3 'spare' clubs you have. No guarantee to get your money back, but with some good & patient e-baying you'll probably find any losses are minimal and give you a bit of confidence that the change is the right one with fewer compromises.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

It just wasn't the most forgiving driver. If you compare it to a ping g400 the ball speed is alot higher with off centre strikes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mate selling an M4 shortly. The shaft would not suit you but as siad you can simply switch the shafts.
He will be looking for about £150

I made the switch from R9 to M4 and was very pleased with the switch.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't understand the love for the M1/M2. I had an M1 when they first came out and got rid of it very quickly. Horses for courses I guess.