New driver - advice welcomed for a new member!

Which new driver should I buy?

• TaylorMade M3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TaylorMade M4

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Callaway Rogue

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Callaway Rogue Sub-zero

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Cobra F8

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Cobra F8+

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum although have been a reader for some time and find this is by far the best of the golf forums on the internet!

I've been playing golf for a couple of years intermittently and recently joined a golf club in Yorkshire with the aim of getting a handicap and improving my game. My best round to date is a 91 and have had a few mid 90s, although I'm generally happy if I score under 100.

Currently looking at getting a new driver, as I recently sold my Ping G20 and although I am planning on having a fitting in the near future, it would be great to hear any opinions on the following driver options:

TaylorMade M3 / M4
Callaway Rogue range
Cobra F8 / F8+

I'd ruled out the Ping G400 as I would prefer a change and not think the design is markedly different from the G20, save the advancement in technology etc.

My swing speed is in the 100-105 range and bad drive is a slice, although I'm working hard at eradicating that and have had some lessons in recent months. I'm quite a high spin player and don't have any issue getting the ball up in the air and from reading, low spin options may suit better?

Thanks in advance :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really does come down to not only which head but which setting and shaft suit you best. There's no one is better than other for everyone.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It really does come down to not only which head but which setting and shaft suit you best. There's no one is better than other for everyone.

also feel and looks come into the decision

if you have 2 identical drivers that your numbers are what you want with both.. go with the one that feels best.. and suits your eye

for example my PP is off 11 and is in the market for a new driver.. he liked the shots he was getting with my TM M2 but he hates the sound of it.. so it puts him off..

go with what suits you for sure

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most decent drivers these days will offer very similar performance when fitted properly.

Go hit the ones on your shortlist. I'll tend to do this repeatedly over a few weeks as our swings can vary day to day, so gives a better impression of what you like. Pick the 2 that you like the look and feel of and then go get fitted properly for those and see which one comes out best performance wise.

My local AG are pretty good when I'm looking to change clubs. I'm up front with them and tell them what my plans are, i.e. Not buying right now but want to hit a few clubs over the next few weeks to narrow things down.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

The shaft I had in my G20 was a high balance point Ping TFC 169 D-Tour Stiff.

I've had a few hits with them so far and did like the feel and sound of the F8+ and found the flight to be penetrating.

With the TaylorMade options, I wasn't totally sold on the grey portion of the head, as I found this slightly distracting and although when it came out of the middle it flew, I found the dispersion a little wild, although that may have been me getting excited at hitting the new driver and going after it a bit too much!! I do think the M3 especially is a fantastic looking driver.

The Callaway looks great and I hit both the draw and SZ models with a Project X Hzrdus yellow shaft. Did notice any effect of the draw weighting and found the sound very muted, although generally these seem to have excellent reviews.

I'm generally a relative long hitter and therefore, dispersion is the key for me at this point!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The Ping TFC 169 D-Tour Stiff may be a bit too stiff for you and maybe causing the slice.
Try a few normal stiff shafts would be my advice

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get fitted. Try them all and see which one performs best. For me - it was the M1 when I tested everything on the market last summer - for you it could be something completely different. Not tried the M3/M4 but if they're anything like last years models they're going to be superb clubs - I absolutely love my M1. Personally though I prefer the black/white crown compared to the black/silver crown of the M3/M4 - I like the contrast of the older models.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get fitted. Try them all and see which one performs best. For me - it was the M1 when I tested everything on the market last summer - for you it could be something completely different. Not tried the M3/M4 but if they're anything like last years models they're going to be superb clubs - I absolutely love my M1. Personally though I prefer the black/white crown compared to the black/silver crown of the M3/M4 - I like the contrast of the older models.

Love my M1 as well. Longest I've kept the same driver for. Had same experience as you Dan. Hit pretty much everything around at the time and M1 just seemed to hit the sweet spot of distance and dispersion for me.

OP might be worth trying the M1\2 as well. They're probably a good chunk of change cheaper than the new range and I suspect will perform pretty much the same when fitted.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sorry but I really think you are wasting your time asking for opinions like this. As stated, try as many different drivers as you can and see which works best for you. Personally I wouldn't discount the G400, the new Mizuno driver is getting good reviews and I would always have the current Titleist on the list.

But it's up to you, let us know how you get on.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The G400 is a vastly better driver than the g20 IMO. I’ve owned both. I would take your point g20vg25 but the G & the 400 are much better

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remain agnostic, find a shop fitter where you can try several different makes/models and based on a mix of the numbers from your swings and your own feelings buy the club that best suits, gives the best results.

Avoid shops that will either A) try to sell you the most expensive B) try to sell you whatever company it is they have a marketing push running for, or C) Have a preference for one particular manufacturer

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would def try the G400, the forgiveness it has is excellent, and def worth a try, I find taylormade can feel quite inconsistent, personal opinion, callaway i have always liked, not much experience of cobra drivers, its down to your opinion on what you hit best I think. But 100% try the ping!!

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to Silvermere down in Surrey a few weeks back.
Paid forty quid for a driver fit.

At the time my current club was a Ping G

Got to hit, G400, Rogue, Rogue Sub zero, M3 and M4.

Played around with lots of shafts

Ordered a Sub zero and got £20 refunded

Spent about 90 mins with the fitter.

You can just go and try any demo club without a fitting there, you just leave a bank card with them.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shaft I had in my G20 was a high balance point Ping TFC 169 D-Tour Stiff.

I've had a few hits with them so far and did like the feel and sound of the F8+ and found the flight to be penetrating.

With the TaylorMade options, I wasn't totally sold on the grey portion of the head, as I found this slightly distracting and although when it came out of the middle it flew, I found the dispersion a little wild, although that may have been me getting excited at hitting the new driver and going after it a bit too much!! I do think the M3 especially is a fantastic looking driver.

The Callaway looks great and I hit both the draw and SZ models with a Project X Hzrdus yellow shaft. Did notice any effect of the draw weighting and found the sound very muted, although generally these seem to have excellent reviews.

I'm generally a relative long hitter and therefore, dispersion is the key for me at this point!

you need to get properly fit - when you do - swing at 85%

looking at the previous driver tendencies & the shaft in it - then the shaft in it was too stiff

too high spin issue is around strike location on the face & the difference between the attack angle & the launch angle (dynamic loft presented at impact) - best answer for that is continued lessons to help sort out ball position -posture - alignments at set-up & the club head delivery issues

would stay away from the rogue sub zero as the head & face is designed to more favor a left to right flight plus it has the appearance of sitting open at address - not good if you got issues with path & club head delivery that is giving you a slice problem

would look to lessons to help sort out the high spin issues rather than look to the low spin designed heads as mostly they are designed to work optimally with a higher club head speed than 100/105 mph which depending on the manufacturer as flex specs differ there would be some reg shafts that would suit as well as some norm stiff - but certainly want to stay away from any kind extra stiff shafts
to get distance with a driver you need a good launch angle along with good peak height for optimum carry plus heavier stiffer shafts require more 'work' to square the face angle up

would look at heads designed to have more stability through a higher moi - g400 the cobra f8 (not +) - the 'ordinary' rogue - or the epic - those kind of head designs

but you really got to get properly fitted & by a good fitter an independent one or a pga teaching pro who fits otherwise it's most likely you won't get the best results plus it's a big outlay of $'s to just pick one off of the shelf

majority of index players play with a driver that has too low loft & too stiff a shaft because of the influence of the Tour & the general bragging rights of having 'tour' type specs

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks again for the replies and plenty of great advice!

Sounds like I should definitely give the G400 / G400 Max a go alongside the ones listed.

I've got a fitting now booked in for the weekend. Is it normal to decide which head if working best, then set on that club and just work on shaft, or do I need to try a combination of shafts in the different heads? I'm sure the PGA fitter will do all this, but, just interested to know from your experiences.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is it normal to decide which head if working best, then set on that club and just work on shaft, or do I need to try a combination of shafts in the different heads? I'm sure the PGA fitter will do all this, but, just interested to know from your experiences.

The last driver fitting I had, I tried virtually every model in the pro shop to find one that I liked the look and feel of then tried different shafts in that model to get the best performance. So yes, find the head you like then work from there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to Silvermere down in Surrey a few weeks back.
Paid forty quid for a driver fit.

At the time my current club was a Ping G

Got to hit, G400, Rogue, Rogue Sub zero, M3 and M4.

Played around with lots of shafts

Ordered a Sub zero and got £20 refunded

Spent about 90 mins with the fitter.

You can just go and try any demo club without a fitting there, you just leave a bank card with them.

Really good fitting guys there and I've been there a few times. The bottom line for me would be to get a fitting somewhere with a wide choice of clubs and a decent range of shafts in different flexes. I personally have had bad times from AG so I wouldn't use them but others on here have had great service and been really happy. Clearly if the OP is in Yorkshire that rules Silvermere out (unless he's coming to the BMW PGA) but there will be plenty of decent fitters in that neck of the woods. So many good woods out there you have to try as many as you can before you buy

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are truly committed to improvement, then getting fitted by an independent and qualified fitter (first) is definitely the way to go!

However, I've known fitters who have 'rejected' customers requests for a Driver fitting until their Driver swing has been 'stabilised' by lessons (from a Pro)! It doesn't appear to me that that applies to you though.

The fitter should be told that lessons will follow, so (s)he doesn't have to try to build in compensations that will be eliminated by subsequent PGA Pro's lessons - which are also essential.

It can be an expensive business, but if you pick/find the right professionals, then the rewards, following commitment, can be worthwhile!