new clubs

CP1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Im going to ask for opinions if I may.
I currently have ping eye 2 3-sw at the moment and looking to change. As on other posts I have said feels like they are getting harder to hit than when i first took it up. Feel heavy and also dont feel like Im gettin the height needed from the clubs.

Does anyone have any idea for someone who is a high handicapper for irons?

Im 6'1" longish arms. I dont want to spend too much less than £200 max on a set new or used.

I have looked at places like ZFL golf custom club fit has anyone used these before? are the clubs ok? as may get a good trade in for the pings.

Usual custom fitting by places?are you obligated to buy from them?

Any clubs that may suit.

Any advice would be of use. thanks

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I keep an eye on second hand stuff and would recommend almost *anything* by Mizuno.

I use recently bought MX-900s (£140) and prefer the forged types.

Look around, there are plenty of sets out there.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi CP1,
I play Wilson Staff Di7's.... find them fine nice and straight and long... they are a bit heavy but this helps with the swing i think but you'll buy a set handy enough on e bay... i think with your height though you might be better off to get custom fitted.. i think most off the shelf sets are for average height 5' 10"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For around £200 you may struggle but I'm pretty sure you can get a set of Benross or MD irons for around £300 new and they are pretty decent value for money.

For that budget I'd be looking for 2nd hand gear. Try searching for Callaway x14 as they are a very good club (forgiving and a good ball flight for higher handicappers). I've not heard of the site you mentioned but would look at e-bay and your local papers

CP1

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks for the info much appreciated. i suppose its just knowing what to look for out there really as no sure AG are going to offer advice on what used Irons I should get. So you reckon x14s for high h/cappers? anything else? im sure they have to be better than these Pings

I look at other golfers when on the course and feel that I dont get too much height from shots taken. Im no Paul Casey by any means but feel that the iron shots are supposedly my strength and think that even with a6/7 iron they seem low and punched rather than a nice arc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its hard to give specific akes because a lot of it depends on you, your swing and own game and what feels and looks right to you. The X14 were a very good club (I only got rid of my set about 15 months back) but as Cally are now on X22 you should find these pretty cheap. I guess other sets to look at are G5's if you want to try an updated Ping model or the TM R7's (don't get the draw version)

I'm sure other forummers wil have other suggestions. The only problem I could see is trying before buying as I'm guessing most will be either through sites like golfbidder or e-bay

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm a Benross fan tbh, and they will definately get the ball in the air.

But if you want a bigger brand there are Cobra FP irons out there for £199 as well. I've seen Mizuno MX17 irons at £169 as well.

Both should do the job and I think both are cheap because they are clearance items.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
do they give a higher flight homer?

A mate of mine could buy the most expensive clubs in the world and wouldn't hit a high ball with them. His set up has his hands way too far ahead of the ball and he effectively hoods everything he has in the bag. He's just bought a 14 degree driver to try to get a bit more height but still hits it lower than any of his regular playing partners. He hits a 9 iron like a 7 iron, and a 7 iron like a 5. So before you automatically "blame" the clubs for your lower ball flight, check your basics with a pro. You could (could) be doing what he does.
I've played with loads of people over the years who use Ping Eye 2's and I've never heard any of them complain about low ball flight. They were, and still are, a good set of irons.

CP1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Update:

Well would you believe this. I have ping eye 2+ Irons Now takin advice on board ie stance ball position I have been to the range. I move the ball back behind the middle of stance and seemed to get a better flight and contact with ball which may have to try with all clubs. Now here comes the best part. I also have a cheap set which were unused from argos I bought for my dad (not wanted) so thought I would compare.

I tell you what the difference is amazing they actually feel better on the strike and get a lovely flight of ball and not any distance loss as far as I can tell. they are similar to this but called ryder zx improver. I asked a couple of lads on the range to try them and the pings and they were of same mind about the feel etc. So thats it pings are going and getting something new. But what to get. he said they feel a little like the Mizuno mx-200s but now sure I will need to try them.

So there you go... not all expense here is the link

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...lf|12108159.htm