New Clubs Opinions

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
HI
newcomer here!

I was wondering if anyone can help me make a decision.

I have been playing golf since i was about 13 (now 34), i have never taken it seriously, with university and work I never seemed to take further interest, but in around 2002 i decided to buy a set and after a visit to American golf purchased a set of used Wilson Ultra System 45 irons and some odd Knight Woods + a Hippo stand bag, i didn’t play too much, mainly the odd round and trips to the range. Then, in 2006 i broke my shoulder (on world cup final night) and that was that.

Recently i have had an urge to play, but was quite nervous due to my shoulder, but after a couple of sessions on the range, all was rekindled. I now want to play more often and I want to replace the old Wilson Ultras and I’m now on the market for a set of clubs, and not knowing what to do have turned to the forums for help.

With a max Budget for irons/woods/bag of around £400 I have contemplated the Wilson Fatshaft V Set on Nevada Bobs (£342): or the MD Golf Blackhawk set (£299 (in store at midlandsgolf).

Of course i have to hit a few clubs, but at this budget there are limitations which i can go for.

Any options’ grateful.
Thanks Brian

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
If you purchase everything separate you could end up with a very impressive bag which you can build on if you look around here is a example

Irons £200
http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/09Cobra_SZ_Irons_Steel_Shafts.html

Driver £50
http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/09Srixon_WR_460cc_Ttianium_Golf_Driver.html

Rescue £50
http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cleveland_Launcher_Golf_Rescue.html

Putter £50

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cleveland_Classic_4_Blade_Plumber_Putter.html

Then £50 or so for a bag everything else can be built up over time

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,
I like the Cobras, last year’s models always come up trumps on costs.
not heard of the Cleveland’s, but they are a deal...With the Cleveland, wouldn’t i also need to buy a sw / wedge?

Appreciate the feedback...

brian

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Miander

Hacker
Visit site
Re: New Clubs Opinions >> Choice of Mizuno / Ping

I have just got off the phone with the local pro shop who had a demo night yesterday.

I had a play with several clubs but i narrowed it down to

Mizuno MX 100 4-pw for £250 or

Ping G15 5-Sw for £395

My budget goes out the window with the pings.... i hit both equally well, the pings did feel better but what can i do, longer term

opinions welcome as its really doing my head in..

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Mizuno MX 100 4-pw for £250 or

Ping G15 5-Sw for £395

Hmmm. My personal opinion would be NOT to go with the MX-100s.
I'm a Mizuno fan, but not of these. Long term, I could never live with an entry-level set of irons. I'd rather find a used set of something else.

I'm afraid my opinion is based on having an entry-level set of Mizunos and hating them.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

The MX100s are bottom of the Mizuno range. They are decent clubs without being worldbeaters, and if you are a high handicapper looking to improve you would one day expect to outgrow them.

But £250 is a very competitive price.

The Pings are designed for mid to high handicappers so will hopefully be with you for much longer. They are better clubs, and therefore should cost a lot more.

If you can afford the extra, you'll probably be happier in the long run, tbh.

Fear of loss is such a powerful thing when you are buying an important purchase. In 6 months will you be thinking 'Wow these Mizunos are perfectly good enough for me'. Or are you likely to be thinking 'God these Mizunos are ok, but how much better would I be playing if I had the Pings ?'

Be honest with yourself.

Miander

Hacker
Visit site

Think you have made my mind up chaps

"Be honest with yourself"

when i come back to the game i said... i want pings... even though i new they cost a lot. but in this life you get what you pay for... and the g15s are good clubs

Just have to use them... a lot. or the wife will kill me! :)