New clubs-old loft??

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading to new irons which offer more forgivness however I quiet like the lofts that my present irons are set at. ie. 7i-33 degrees. This present gaping fits in well when it comes to my short irons and wedges
My question is that what with the present trend amongst manufactures to keep strengthening lofts so they can advertise them as going further, can anyone think of and recommend any irons that have been released in the last 3 years that still have the 'traditional lofts?
Tia.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suspect the only newish sets that have more traditional lofts will be the pro-level blade type irons and they won't help your quest for forgiveness.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing to do is to forget the number on the bottom and think about the lofts. Then only buy the clubs you really want. My current set of Mizunos JPX 900 Tour have the lofts you are looking for but probably not the forgiveness.

For that reason I only ordered 6-PW but really I should have only bought 7-PW.

So if I was looking for a set of Mizzies with more forgiveness I would definitely only go 7-GW and have in my mind that I had just bought 6-PW in reality.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I am thinking of upgrading to new irons which offer more forgivness however I quiet like the lofts that my present irons are set at. ie. 7i-33 degrees. This present gaping fits in well when it comes to my short irons and wedges
My question is that what with the present trend amongst manufactures to keep strengthening lofts so they can advertise them as going further, can anyone think of and recommend any irons that have been released in the last 3 years that still have the 'traditional lofts?
Tia.
They don't do it for this reason. They do it because the clubs are so easy to hit that if they didn't do it they'd launch too high. Why wouldn't anyone not want a 5 iron which goes as far as a 4 iron?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What I'd be looking for is forgiveness and good and even gapping between each club. I'm not overly fussed what the number or the loft is as long as I know how far I hit each one and my distances are worked out accurately. If the shot is 156 yards with minimal wind and I pull a 6 iron and others hit a 7 or even and 8 doesn't bother me as long as I hit target regularly

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can't look at the lofts in isolation. Completely pointless to focus that way.

Put another way, you will easily find a set of different head design but exactly the same lofts as your current set that gap totally differently with any given swing.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ping offer choices. For the i210, “Standard spec” loft for 7i is 33deg, “Power spec” is 31.5deg, “Retrp spec” is 35deg.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
AP1'S vs MB's are around 4-5 degrees different lofts throughout the set.

Its not to say you cant still make them work for you even with stronger lofts, they almost just become a club longer throughout the set so its whether you drop the 4 iron in place of an additional wedge to bridge the gap at that end if it doesn't create its own issues with the woods / hybrids etc.

Everyone is different but I love the MB's for their traditional lofts, I had them bent 1 degree weaker from 5-pw to suit my wedges and gap fitting session I had. The 4 iron is still at 24 degrees and it gives me exactly 4 degree difference between all irons through the set.

I had my 2 iron bent too (19-20 degree) to bridge the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron which sits just about right for me. My 3 wood is adjustable but I find myself leaving it around 13.5 degrees as it mainly plays as a secondary driver or the occasional second shot on a long par 5.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Use the newer irons but instead of grabbing a #7 iron, grab the #8. It accomplishes the same thing.
That's fine until I'm left with a large gap between my pw and 50°wedge-at the minute my current lofts work well with the way my wedges are gapped

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's fine until I'm left with a large gap between my pw and 50°wedge-at the minute my current lofts work well with the way my wedges are gapped

You would be surprised

Mine is 43, 50 then 54

The 43 plays like a 46 .. it’s very forgiving so launch’s high so they lower loft to level it out

Go and test the set with your current 50’degree wedge and see for yourself

Hoganman1

Visit site
Have you looked at Ben Hogan Golf? They have sets that only put the loft on the club head. There are no 3, 4, 5, or 6 irons etc. Since there really are no "standard" lofts anymore, one can build a set with the lofts they want