New clubs good idea or bad

Visit site
I am looking at getting new clubs In The near future but I don't know if this is a good or bad idea I am using Cleveland cg17 regular flex shafts but am looking at ping g 400 xp95 s300 stiff shafts any help or advice be helpful

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't answer the question asked - the important thing is the process by which you arrive at your choice.

From a full fitting session, through a quick professional assessment, mates advice to liking the way they look and they are cheap....each has a different likelihood of success; whilst none is guaranteed to be either right or wrong.

Visit site
Thanks I had a fitting today the ping g400 with stiff xp95 s300 shafts added about 20 yards extra distance to my 7 iron I play off 22 and am struggling to drop from there this is why question was asked

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
How did you buy the current clubs? If off the rack, then the fitted ones have a high probability of being better for you.
That said, with a 7 iron perhaps you should focus more on consistency and dispersion. Being 20 yards longer with an iron won't necessarily bring your scores down.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks I had a fitting today the ping g400 with stiff xp95 s300 shafts added about 20 yards extra distance to my 7 iron I play off 22 and am struggling to drop from there this is why question was asked

If the fitter believes these clubs are the right ones for you then there isn't much basis for disagreement.

My only observation would be that for a 22 handicap golfer these are a serious investment. This is of course your choice.

Completely agree with IainP's post.

So the question becomes 'do you trust the fitters judgement?'; but if you do why ask here?

Visit site
I don't fully agree with the fitter hence why I am asking here always have hit a long ball anyway so do I keep with my old clubs with regular flex shafts or do I move to a stiffer shaft. Maybe keep same clubs just want some advice

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a big leap from old reg shafts to new stiff ones .
The fitter will try and get you the best fit for you.
You could get these second hand on eBay and sell them on if you don’t like them.

20yds is a lot but does prove the clubs suit you. As long as dispersion is ok as well!
Try some more demo clubs before committing .
It’s a minefield so over winter you can take your time.

Visit site
Only ask as I have recently changed my driver from a Taylor made rbz regular flex to a ping g 400 Max stiff shaft with carry and roll out hit my tee shots about 280 to 300 yards with a swing speed of 106mph

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you are 106 MPH with a driver then stiff shafts would suit you better, but one companies reg might not be anothers reg, there is no industry standard as such.

if these are what a fitter recommended i would go with is advice and not a load of guys who havn't seen you hit a ball;)

here is a carry guide for CHS and carry, quite useful.CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart-600x218.jpg

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 'extra distance' could come from 2 factors (sorry I could not find the actual specs for the CG17s)

1. The difference in loft between manufacturers. Ping have 30 degrees on the 7 iron Cleveland 588 CB forged for example is 35 degrees. (note the loft in Patricks chart)

2 The lighter weight shaft will tend to help with distance particularly if the CG17 have something like Dynamic Gold.

Dannyc

Visit site
Only ask as I have recently changed my driver from a Taylor made rbz regular flex to a ping g 400 Max stiff shaft with carry and roll out hit my tee shots about 280 to 300 yards with a swing speed of 106mph
Hitting it 300 yards with a handicap of 22 u sure your hitting it right way 😂👍

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're struggling to get below 22, why not just take a 9 hole playing lesson with a local Pro, or with a decent single figure player of your acquaintance. There'll be a few obvious things you do wrong, and I'd be willing to bet a decent sun that the quality of your irons will be quite low on the list.

God, I sound like Homer, but it's the truth!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a bit like buying an expensive made to measure suit then going on a diet/binge.
As you improve, your swing will change and improve (it might even slow down) and while a new fitted set may suit you now, there's no guarantee they will suit you in the near future.

Dannyc

Visit site
When i went for a fitting the pro told me my mizuno irons were 3 degrees out I ended up having ap2s which I like but will go back to mizuno irons at some point
Anyway once I did get fitted and changed my irons I’ve come down to 5.5 from 12 in 2 seasons with a general play docking

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
As others have said the extra distance could be from the 7i being a stronger loft. Be careful about falling in to the trap of just trying to hit it further-you will find that leaves a gap in your distances when it comes to the 100 yards in which as amateurs is where we got most of our shots.
Personally I would rather sacrifice 10-20 yards with my long iron and keep my options open on the approach shots-can't hit my longs straight enough anyway!!