New clubs for an improver - S9s or Di7s

Timbo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I bought my graphite shafted Lynx Parralax irons about 12 yrs ago when I first took this game up. Since then I've soldiered on with them as I am only a social golfer (play about once a month off of 22).

I've now got a bit more time on my hands and decided to play more regularly, so I'd like to buy some new irons (after 12 yrs I think I deserve some :cool:). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've a budget of around £300 and having read several reviews I am erring towards either Cobra S9s or Wilson Di7s. Also, I only had graphite shafts as they were on the clubs when I bought them! Will changing to steel shafts make much difference (I'm not a senior!!)?

Unfortunately, the club I play at doesn't have a Pro shop to be able to try them at, so much of my desicion will be made from reading reviews etc.

Any comments gratefully received, Many Thanks

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: New clubs for an improver

Go for steel....yes....pwleese.

If I was going out today (I remember the parallax b.t.w.), I'd stop off at Mr Mizuno (Mx19s) Mr Taylor Made and Wilson or Cobra. You could do a lot worse than the RAC HTs 5-PW currently being given away at online golf, and add a pair (19 and 23 degree) of utility/hybrids. I can recommend MD EQL with the ProLaunch Blue at pricebuster.

Nike ignite got rave reviews independently, but you won't find much support on here for them.

Dave

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk

Cobra S9's

I tried these when I bought my fp's and found that they were lacking in enough feel for me.

I bought my Cobra FP's, custom fitted for £299. These irons are absolutely fantastic.

I am now using 4-SW with 3 replaced by a Cobra baffler which I consider to be the finest hybrid available.

At £300 there are so many decent sets of irons available to you. My friend at www.discountgolfstore.co.uk have the di7's (4-sw) and also Mizuno MX19's (3-sw) for £249. These are gat prices from great guys.

Get down to your range and try a few clubs and see what you like then get fitted, fitting really is the way to go.

As Dave says, Nike aren't too popular. I personally think they are of suspect quality, overpriced and underperforming. For the young poseur/tiger wannabee they are fine I suppose. Just my oppinion.

At the end of the day just try as many clubs as you can. Don't be afraid to ask a fellow golfer for a hit of theirs if they have anything that you fancy in their bag. I know I am always willing to let somebody hit a few with my clubs.

Jon

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site

Hi Timbo

when i started out i used t made rac os irons and found them very good and im sure there are some good deals around on them.

There are many sets out there and its just down to personal choice really,its a shame you have no pro shop near you.
How about an American golf ?

where are you situated.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk

Madandra is right, there is a new range of irons coming in february.

Thursday night I got my hands on the latest Cobra forged iron, god it was soooo good looking. Drool, Drool etc.

Don't expect a huge discount though, 2300 and 3400 series irons still go for £279 & £299 respectively where they are still in stock brand new.

I know where there is a 2nd hand set of 2300's for £120, what a steal.