Need some clubs to fill the bag, what would you recommend?

Christov

Visit site
So, first post... be gentle!

I'm reasonably new to golf, handicap is around the 25 mark and slowly improving. Right now I'm trying to get out and play as much as possible, even with semi-frozen greens I can at least have a good go!

My question is related to what I should fill my bag with, right now I've got the following:

1 wood
21* hybrid
4-9 irons
60* lob wedge
Pitching wedge
Sand wedge
Putter

What should I add in? I've got space for 2 more (I believe competition limit is 14 which is what I'm aiming at) so my thoughts were a 3 wood, and something else. What would people recommend?
Any suggestions would be welcome!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I expect youve a gap of 8-10 degrees of loft between your PW and SW so would add a gap wedge. The other gap as you say is between the driver and hybrid and a 3 or 4 wood should be ideal

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
id go for a 3/4w to bridge the game between the hybrid and driver, Junk the 60* wedge, and go for something like 48/52/56* wedge combo so your balanced past your 9i.

Christov

Visit site
id go for a 3/4w to bridge the game between the hybrid and driver, Junk the 60* wedge, and go for something like 48/52/56* wedge combo so your balanced past your 9i.

Is it really worth chucking the 60 away? Maybe it's just that I'm not very good yet but I don't feel like there's a lot of shots I can't play with that club, I can hit it just over 50 yards with a full swing and ping it straight up for less than 10 yards if I need to and everything in between by just adjusting the club face and swing speed.
I'll admit that the other gap in my set is probably at the wedges end but still, dubious!

Why fill your bag?
Because I only have 12 clubs right now and limits allow me to have 2 more.... why not get some extra clubs in the bag and have the opportunity to use them rather than not have them if I need them. Anything I added now I don't think I'd use that much but it's still worth having them imho.
Would you disagree?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because I only have 12 clubs right now and limits allow me to have 2 more.... why not get some extra clubs in the bag and have the opportunity to use them rather than not have them if I need them. Anything I added now I don't think I'd use that much but it's still worth having them imho.
Would you disagree?
Adding clubs because you have space will not help you though. As said above if you have big gaps between clubs then it might be worth filling those gaps, but you might also look to course management to help you better too. For instance adding a 3 wood might close the gap between your hybrid and driver, but hitting hybrid and then wedge might be much better for you than hitting a 3wood sideways into more trouble.

Just saying that adding clubs because you have space is not always the best solution to lower scores, particularly if your not confident with those new clubs. I cope perfectly well with 12 clubs.

Christov

Visit site
Adding clubs because you have space will not help you though. As said above if you have big gaps between clubs then it might be worth filling those gaps, but you might also look to course management to help you better too. For instance adding a 3 wood might close the gap between your hybrid and driver, but hitting hybrid and then wedge might be much better for you than hitting a 3wood sideways into more trouble.

Just saying that adding clubs because you have space is not always the best solution to lower scores, particularly if your not confident with those new clubs. I cope perfectly well with 12 clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I get along fine with 12 clubs right now... I can't think of a situation recently where I've thought I needed a club that I didn't have. I don't feel like I absolutely have to rush out and buy two more clubs; it's more that I feel like there *might* be gaps to fill and perhaps I was missing something as I'm only starting out and obviously don't know the game that well yet!
What you've said is almost exactly how I felt a month ago but recently I was starting to wonder whether I really could benefit as my shots are definitely straighter than they were back then and perhaps it's time to look at more variance in clubs.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
if you like having the lob wedge in your bag, can use it (and frequently do) then keep it. There is quite a gap between your driver and hybrid so filling that is probably the way to go.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 wood and gap wedge, job done

don't ditch the 60 if your happy using it, I love using mine but have been experimenting with different chips etc using the others.

find out what loft your pw & sw are, if its 46/56 then get a 52

just because you have 14 clubs doesnt mean you will use all 14 in a round but better to have than have not at the time of need ;)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i would get only one club, either get a 3/4 wood or a gap wedge then spend the money intended for an extra club on lessons :)

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone else find this Op's atitude is a bit, well you know what I mean, dont need to say.

Yep, hence the reason I feel I shouldnt comment. Been there done that, didnt listen to good advice because I thought best, wasted a fair bit of money when in reality I should of taken some good advice and listened.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being fair he has asked advice and he is newish to golf and im sure he is like all of us likes buying clubs as its part of the fun !

I also use the 6o deg wedge but for bunkers, i take out the SW and have a 48 deg and a 44 deg PW

Not found the need for extra wedges to cover those gaps

Experimented with no.3 and no.4 rescue woods and in the end stuck with the TM no.4 rescue

Take a 3 wood but seldom use it and tend to use my driver rescue and then 4 iron in that order

What may be helpful is get the extra clubs and experiment, you can buy as many as you like and mix them around as long as you only take out max of 14 (13 + putter )

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
if your just starting out just get used to the ones you have then in time when you improve you will then know what you need (you already have a full set use them)

what isn't a good idea is making your bag heavier ,,trust me getting your swing ,grip,stance etc right will be hard enough without having extra clubs when the clubs you have will do the job for now

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say to ditch the lob wedge if you play well with it. Half the battle is feeling confident with whatever club you have in your hands.

If that were my bag and I wanted to fill it I'd go for a 4 or 5 wood, and a gap wedge.

I think a 4/5 wood is so much easier to hit off the fairway than a 3 wood, and unless you've got a fast swing the distance difference won't be a lot.