Need some clarity please

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a rules app on my phone. Not sure if it is legal to use during a qualifying comp

There is no breach of any Rule of Golf if using a Rules App.

However, the Club may have an internal regulation prohibiting all (except possibly emergencies) use of mobile phones on the course.
They cannot DQ you or award any other form of golf penalty. So you qualifying score would count. But they could take disciplinary action (eg suspension of playing rights for a period).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Although it might not be a 30 second job to find the correct guidance on the RoG app for this scenario

The quick guide doesn’t cover it at all for Ball Unplayable

The Rules section for Ball Unplayable takes you to Rule 28 but you’re given only part of the info that covers this scenario and are directed to two other rules. Listed first is rule 27-1 (numbered only no name) so click on that and there’s no answer to this scenario

Next its back to Rule 28 and click on 2nd link for 20-5 (again just a number till its clicked) and this is where you find out that you can tee it, in section (a)

I've chosen this route to navigate from as the OP said he was going to proceed under Ball Unplayable. It is a quicker route if your start point is Rule 20 (lifting, droping & placing) but who'd look there first ;)

And as a personal bugbear & even though I have my phone set to enlarge text this app doesn’t support that & you cannot pinch/expand the RoG app on an i-phone so the font is pretty small to even read the menu’s (they do allow you to enlarge the text on the rule itself but not the menu you need to navigate in order to locate the rule!)

Phew, feel better (not really)

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Although it might not be a 30 second job to find the correct guidance on the RoG app for this scenario

The quick guide doesn’t cover it at all for Ball Unplayable

The Rules section for Ball Unplayable takes you to Rule 28 but you’re given only part of the info that covers this scenario and are directed to two other rules. Listed first is rule 27-1 (numbered only no name) so click on that and there’s no answer to this scenario

Next its back to Rule 28 and click on 2nd link for 20-5 (again just a number till its clicked) and this is where you find out that you can tee it, in section (a)

I've chosen this route to navigate from as the OP said he was going to proceed under Ball Unplayable. It is a quicker route if your start point is Rule 20 (lifting, droping & placing) but who'd look there first ;)

And as a personal bugbear & even though I have my phone set to enlarge text this app doesn’t support that & you cannot pinch/expand the RoG app on an i-phone so the font is pretty small to even read the menu’s (they do allow you to enlarge the text on the rule itself but not the menu you need to navigate in order to locate the rule!)

Phew, feel better (not really)

Ball unplayable is at the very bottom of the quick guide section of the rules app.

Assuming we are using the same app, the 3 scenarios are all covered within rule 28 although you are quite correct that you need to refer to a few other rules to get the intricate detail eg. Whether to drop/place when playing stroke and distance.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
in case anyone missed the last (numerous times) I've posted this - the only 2 rules you need to really really know and understand are 2-5 and 3-3; basically what to do when you don't know what to do...

the reason is exemplified in this thread - to cut straight through all and any on course argument and debate and let you get on with the game in hand.

now I'm not suggesting that either is a simple rule. but it's worth understanding them and even printing them on a nice piece of card or otherwise to keep in your bag for easy reference.

I'm seriously thinking about the laminated card of 2.5 and 3.3.