Need help before clubs get snapped!!

Fabia999

Visit site
Hello,

I know I’ll get the “see a pro” comment but if I could get some advice, that would be appreciated.

I have massive problems with distance, my drives are straight but short therefore I usually need a hybrid or a wood (my swing is very slow, so 3/4 iron is out the window) to make up the difference, usually to give me a shot onto the green. However, I can’t hit either of them well. They mostly come out low and left. They also come out right. Basically anywhere I want it to go. How do I fix it?!

I appreciate any advice!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll avoid the obvious as you know that is the real answer. My suggestion, have a go at swinging with a 3/4 swing, swing slowly. Hopefully that will help you hit the ball more cleanly, get your confidence back.

One other thing, sounds daft. Really watch the ball when you hit it. When you are struggling it is tempting to look up quickly to see where it is going and you come up on it. That doesn't mean you don't come up at some stage, I'm not saying 'dont lift your head', but focus on that ball quite hard.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much impossible for any of us to help unless we see a video of you trying to hit said clubs. Otherwise it could be one of a hundred things.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When my shots are low and left it's because the face is closed at impact. This is usually a combination of my grip slipping back to strong position and sometimes (more frequently than I would like) coming over the top a bit with the swing. My loss of distance usually comes if I lay the club off too much in the back swing. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how much of that applies to you, if any. There are too many things that we can't see in the mechanics of your swing, my only useful advice would be the proverbial see a pro, someone who can watch what you are doing and has a good understanding of how to fix it, sorry.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aside from the direction and flight of the ball, perhaps forget trying to hit the green in regulation and concentrate on getting your short game better (chipping and putting)
I don’t normally worry about being on par 4 greens in 2, but instead playing to what’s easier and better for me with a lay up and comfortable short shot at the pin with a short putt for hopefully that par.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Aside from the direction and flight of the ball, perhaps forget trying to hit the green in regulation and concentrate on getting your short game better (chipping and putting)
I don’t normally worry about being on par 4 greens in 2, but instead playing to what’s easier and better for me with a lay up and comfortable short shot at the pin with a short putt for hopefully that par.

I agree. Playing bogey golf gives you a 90 so that has to be near par on most courses and takes a load of pressure off trying to hit the par 4 and par 5's in regulation. Keep it in play, get a good touch pitching and chipping from 80 yards and in and go from there. If direction remains an issue then in my book a 30 minute lesson is still the best longer term fix to nail the cause of the problem and get the fix.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello,

I know I’ll get the “see a pro” comment but if I could get some advice, that would be appreciated.

I have massive problems with distance, my drives are straight but short therefore I usually need a hybrid or a wood (my swing is very slow, so 3/4 iron is out the window) to make up the difference, usually to give me a shot onto the green. However, I can’t hit either of them well. They mostly come out low and left. They also come out right. Basically anywhere I want it to go. How do I fix it?!

I appreciate any advice!

I'd suggest not trying to overswing. So feel like you are going back to 9 o'clock (i.e. left arm parallel to the ground) and from there really try to turn through the shot so you finish with your shoulders pointing at the target. when I'm struggling I always think body swing as opposed to arm swing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Bobs got it.
Normally left and right means your grip is conflicting .
Weak left hand and strong right hand , it can go anywhere.
The Skilz grip trainer , bit of plastic fits on your grip is brilliant for this.
Sorted mine out in a week, and is a great reference before you tee off.
No link sorry you will have to Google it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't snap them - it's not their fault :)

But I really, really understand where you are coming from...my 5i-9i distances are knocked into a cocked hat by guys with handicaps 3x mine. it can be very frustrating - but I must always remind myself why I have the handicap that I have and I am not off their's. Golf is such a multi-faceted game - so build on your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I dont think distance is that important. If you can get 180/200 yards off the tee then bogey golf is achievable. Ill certainly not be pushing for more distance until i get my handicap down to at least 18. Plenty other parts of the game that are easier to improve to get there.

D

Deleted member 21258

If you are hitting it short, you need to do one (or both) of the following :-

1) Swing faster
2) Have better launch conditions

I went for 1) myself, as it is easy to do, so much fun to do. I gained 10mph and my poor hits go as far as my previous best hits. During lockdown my wife has so far gained 8mph when hitting the ball and she is still getting faster. Very easy to do tbh. This enables me to hit shorter clubs with more loft and therefore more forgiving. I also am not great with long fairway irons or woos, so hitting a 7 iron instead of a 7 wood due to a faster swing & longer drive is a double good thing, when the driver is working!.

Best of luck, golf is the most annoying/hard game I have ever played.:LOL:

jamiet7682

Visit site

1) Swing faster

I went for 1) myself, as it is easy to do, so much fun to do. I gained 10mph and my poor hits go as far as my previous best hits. During lockdown my wife has so far gained 8mph when hitting the ball and she is still getting faster. Very easy to do tbh. This enables me to hit shorter clubs with more loft and therefore more forgiving. I also am not great with long fairway irons or woos, so hitting a 7 iron instead of a 7 wood due to a faster swing & longer drive is a double good thing, when the driver is working!.

How do you increase speed without losing control? The moment i think about speed or power i cant hit the ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How do you increase speed without losing control? The moment i think about speed or power i cant hit the ball.
You increase speed in the part of the swing that you can best control...and only increase speed in the right order :)

Me? I'd simply look at my hand speed - last bit of the swing before the ball is hit and so introducing a source of it going wrong until the last moment. But I'm not a golf coach and know diddly-squat about the mechanics of the golf swing.

D

Deleted member 21258

You have to have faith, that you will adjust as your practise more at it, its takes practise and a period of your brain adjustinginitially....

Practise speed training or overspeed training, can be done in a back garden. I bought a cheapish swing speed radar(blue one, think I paid about £75ish for it) off ebay and swung the driver & a driver shaft only, as fast as we can and recording the results over time. We did it without a ball initially and then with a ball, only worrying about getting as fast speed as possible.ie. learn to swing fast and then learn to hit/control it.

Initially after doing speed training, it feels mentally fast hitting a ball and you struggle with strike and control, but slowly you get used to the new faster swing and strike/control comes back. I have never lost the speed over time since, I did it 4ish years ago, I have in fact got a lot more consistent with the speed aspect, my swing is still pants so on the course all depends on the day(like it did before).

Worked for me, son and wife(still a work in progress but she is starting to hit the ball off the tee and fairway better than ever and a good 15 yards further carry on the driver) and countless others if you search the internet and have the patience to do it. Takes thousands of dry swings and hundreds of hitting the balls swing tbh,.

Its great fun but stock up on cheap balls when you start it,as if your swing is rubbish like mine, as you will lose balls initially.;):LOL: Sure their are others that will tell you straight and short is best and improving your swing is best, but speed training is such a thrill.;):ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

1) Swing faster

Is it easy to do?? If I try and swing faster the chances are I'm more likely to hit the ground instead of the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is me as well. I have to go for cleaner ball striking, giving a more consistent strike. The faster I swing, I still do like an idiot too often, the less likely I am to hit it well. So hard to reign it in when the obsession now is with swing speed.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found since I had lessons and changed my position at the top to a bit flatter (I was previously very steep with an OTT movement) I can go at the ball a lot harder, when I get the club in the right position I feel totally free to swing as hard as I want without feeling like I'm losing control. Also think it's easy when chasing speed to totally lose the transition and trying to start the downswing before finishing the backswing which gets you totally out of sync and out of position, when I'm trying to hit it hard I have to be mindful of completing my swing.