Nearest Point of Relief Question

Mark82

Visit site
So am 40 yards out and thin one into the green. The ball goes clean through the green and into a hedge that runs the entire width of the green about 20 yards behind the green. The other side of the hedge is OOB so i cant go the other side of the hedge. I find my ball and want to take an unplayable lie for a stroke penalty. The only place i an move my ball to for the NPR is nearer the pin. The hedge is about 200 metres long and perpendicular to the green so i can't really move left or right without still being closer.

Where do I drop? Am i allowed to drop in front of the hedge and give myself a back swing? Do i have to go back for a penalty and play the ball from where I originally hit it 40 yards short of the green.

I thought if you had an imaginary piece of string around the flag to measure the radius I could move left or right away from the hedge and find a spot where i had a back swing and was not nearer the hole, but I was advised i could not do that. In the end i was told to drop the ball just in front of the hedge and play it without a backswing. it then took me a shot to move it forward enough to play a second shot with a back swing

Advice an the correct procedure would be very much appreciated

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
For an unplayable lie you are allowed 2 club lengths not nearer the hole as one option, or you can go back on line but if it is OOB on the other side of the hedge that is not on option, which leave you with the option of going back to the point of the original shot.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are right about your imaginary string. "Not nearer the hole" is the circumference of a circle whose radius is the distance between the hole and your ball. Unless the hedge by remote chance follows an arc of the same circle, there will be a 2 club-length relief area for an unplayable ball. Unless the hedge by chance is on the tangent of the circle through the ball, the area will be bigger on one side or the other. It may well not be big enough to be of practical use to you but it's always worth checking out. Remember also to consider the possiblility that two successive penalty drops might be a better option than stroke and distance See the attached diagram - it might be clearer. For Wall read Hedge!

not nearer the hole.jpeg

Last edited:

Mark82

Visit site
that diagram is the exact scenario but taking relief in either the blue areas did not give me any back swing.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
that diagram is the exact scenario but taking relief in either the blue areas did not give me any back swing.

If my basic maths is right, the closer to the hole the better the chance of finding enough of a relief area to work with but even then you have to be wary of your dropped ball rolling back towards the hedge/wall and leaving it in as bad a position as before and you're a stroke down. I only recommend considering the possibility!

Swango1980

Visit site
Nearest point of relied doesn't apply, you are taking an unplayable, not free relief (as Louise said). The option you are wishing to take is 2 club lengths from the ball, no nearer the hole. Just note, you are not entitles to a backswing, or even a swing or a stance. If two club lengths relief is still in the hedge for example, you can only drop it in the hedge if you take that example. So, if a two club length drop isn't going to be of any use, then your only option is to go back to where you last played, taking stroke and distance penalty (your other option of going as far back in line with the pin and ball is clearly not feasible as it would be out of bounds). Note, if you are taking free relief at the nearest point of relief, you are still not entitled to a backswing, which may be why you would sometimes see a pro playing off a path, because their nearest point of relief is in the vicinity of a bush or a really horrid lie.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearest point of relied doesn't apply, you are taking an unplayable, not free relief (as Louise said). The option you are wishing to take is 2 club lengths from the ball, no nearer the hole. Just note, you are not entitles to a backswing, or even a swing or a stance. If two club lengths relief is still in the hedge for example, you can only drop it in the hedge if you take that example. So, if a two club length drop isn't going to be of any use, then your only option is to go back to where you last played, taking stroke and distance penalty (your other option of going as far back in line with the pin and ball is clearly not feasible as it would be out of bounds). Note, if you are taking free relief at the nearest point of relief, you are still not entitled to a backswing, which may be why you would sometimes see a pro playing off a path, because their nearest point of relief is in the vicinity of a bush or a really horrid lie.
Another option, in an extreme situation, might be to drop it in a nasty place (in this case in the hedge) and take another unplayable penalty option from there. Either 2cl or BOL may give you a better situation even after 2 penalty strokes. Of course S&D from there would be nonsense.