Nativity play

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is across the board, no-one said it wasn't except you
Not clear what you mean by that Bob. The point I am trying to make is that many people are ready to critsizise or joke about Christianity but won't do it with Islam as this is seen as racist and Islamaphobic, they are also scared of the possible repercussions.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not clear what you mean by that Bob. The point I am trying to make is that many people are ready to critsizise or joke about Christianity but won't do it with Islam as this is seen as racist and Islamaphobic, they are also scared of the possible repercussions.

There are many religions out there all claiming different things.
They can't all be right but they could all be wrong.
Some people will believe their god is the right one with no proof (faith)
Others won't believe there are any gods until there is proof.
And that goes for all religions in my opinion.

If my little joke offended you, I suggest you read your old testament again,
You could start with
Leviticus 20:13
Exodus 22:20
Exodus 35:2
Leviticus 21:9
Deuteronomy 20:16–18
to name but a few.
Read those passages and then look at my cartoon picture again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My son's school has taken the decision that there is no place in today's multicultural society for something like the Nativity.
I'd suggest they've got it arse about face!

If they are trying to reflect 'today's multicultural society' they should be celebrating, or at least publicising, equivalent events of other religions - and what those events (and religions) stand for!

Alas, it's far simpler to 'deny' the significant events of the dominant UK faith than put the work in to learn about and inform about the significant events of the others.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think you’d be surprised at how diverse schools are nowadays, they’re not stuck in the times of only celebrating one religion. My kids school holds celebrations across the spectrum of religions of Hindu, Sikh, Islam, Christianity and Buddhism. Including visits to the varying religions places of worship. The kids all join in together in the celebrations as it teaches them what other cultures are about and how to respect them and the people of the varying cultures whilst enabling them opportunity to make up their own minds as they grow.

I for one applaud it and have absolutely no issue with it as I want my kids growing up in a multi cultural society of acceptance and not judgemental on others and their beliefs.

47 years ago one of the weekly lessons at the comprehensive I went to was 'religious exchange.' We did different religions every week.

Friend of mine owns/runs a nursery. They celebrate pretty much all the religious festivals from all the different religions.

Wolf

Visit site
47 years ago one of the weekly lessons at the comprehensive I went to was 'religious exchange.' We did different religions every week.

Friend of mine owns/runs a nursery. They celebrate pretty much all the religious festivals from all the different religions.
That is exactly how it should be celebrate and understand all faiths to better educate people, do this as kids and they’ll have far greater understanding as adults.

My school did RE as well, we used to do a term focusing on different culture and religious festivals, only 1 person didn’t join in during my whole time at school and that was because her parents Iovahs witnesses refused to let her partake in the lessons. Kids are better placed to learn this diversity than adults are as they’re generally more open minded and will be less judgemental of others.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Thank goodness things are changing but I still think nursery is too young.
At our school it was called religious education and it was all about the new testament. I got thrown out for asking too many questions.:D
There was also morning prayers and hymn singing at assembly. And it was just an ordinary state run school. I also got into trouble for not closing my eyes during prayers. My dad (non believer) was furious.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

You could start with
to name but a few.

I’d be a bit wary of anyone telling me that i had to take guidance on my beliefs from a literal reading of these passages :)

A nativity play is a sweet - if inaccurate - interpretation of the Christmas story that simply puts some context to Christmas and the values we all aspire to, and that we’d like our children and grandchildren to stick with - even if and when they dump the religious aspect...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank goodness things are changing but I still think nursery is too young.
At our school it was called religious education and it was all about the new testament. I got thrown out for asking too many questions.:D
There was also morning prayers and hymn singing at assembly. And it was just an ordinary state run school. I also got into trouble for not closing my eyes during prayers. My dad (non believer) was furious.

Ah the closing of eyes during prayer thing...just a tradition and not necessary in my church as we always say a prayer for the week which requires us to read what’s written on our order of service. Now I was a little uncomfortable at first doing that as I has traditionally kept eyes shut. But you get used to it.

Also think how many paintings you have seen of someone at prayer looking up to a cross or in Catholic Church a statue of the VM. Not literally looking? Maybe - but nothing wrong keeping your eyes open during prayer if you want to focus on something that helps your thoughts and words of prayer - or indeed if you have to read something. ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I’d be a bit wary of anyone telling me that i had to take guidance on my beliefs from a literal reading of these passages :)

In what way can you read those passages (and there are many more) and not be 'offended'?

A nativity play is a sweet - if inaccurate - interpretation of the Christmas story that simply puts some context to Christmas and the values we all aspire to, and that we’d like our children and grandchildren to stick with - even if and when they dump the religious aspect...

You can still be a good person without religion telling you what to do.

Ah the closing of eyes during prayer thing...just a tradition and not necessary in my church as we always say a prayer for the week which requires us to read what’s written on our order of service. Now I was a little uncomfortable at first doing that as I has traditionally kept eyes shut. But you get used to it.

Also think how many paintings you have seen of someone at prayer looking up to a cross or in Catholic Church a statue of the VM. Not literally looking? Maybe - but nothing wrong keeping your eyes open during prayer if you want to focus on something that helps your thoughts and words of prayer - or indeed if you have to read something. ?

The point was my eyes were open which to the teacher meant I wasn't praying........and she was right. That was why I got detention.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You could start with
to name but a few.
Still don't follow your thinking. It's not MY old testament, is it? and i'm not interested in the bits you are quoting from it as that's nothing to do with my post. Please read what I've said again: I'm suggesting it's OK for people to be Christianophobic but not Islamophobic, surely that's not defendable?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Still don't follow your thinking. It's not MY old testament, is it? and i'm not interested in the bits you are quoting from it as that's nothing to do with my post. Please read what I've said again: I'm suggesting it's OK for people to be Christianophobic but not Islamophobic, surely that's not defendable?

My thinking is I don't believe any religion has met it's burden of proof and therefore all religions are fair game for a bit of ridicule.
You were quick to accuse me of criticising Christianity with my little joke, but have glossed over some violent verses from your bible that I hoped would put my little joke into context.

This whole thread is about whether christian traditions should still be celebrated in schools, nothing to do any other religion.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My thinking is I don't believe any religion has met it's burden of proof and therefore all religions are fair game for a bit of ridicule.
You were quick to accuse me of criticising Christianity with my little joke, but have glossed over some violent verses from your bible that I hoped would put my little joke into context.

This whole thread is about whether christian traditions should still be celebrated in schools, nothing to do any other religion.
OK Bob but I repeat it's not MY Bible and I am not suggesting any religion meets its burden of truth.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I
You can still be a good person without religion telling you what to do.

I've always thought it rather convenient that any good morals in the bible are teaching us how to be good, yet the questionable and downright wrong ones are either misunderstood or not to be taken literally.....