Nativity play

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There are certain aspects of Xmas that I hate, playing Xmas songs in October, decorations up in November. The debt that can be associated with Xmas. The commercial side. Coupled with general elections and Brexit. Suffice to say Tashyboy needed some festive cheer.
Today Tash has just got back from young Layla Tashys Nativity play. To see dozens of 4 and 5 yr olds innocently singing songs about an outcast blue star who saved Xmas was quite frankly heart warmingly brilliant. Suffice to say Young Layla Tash dressed up as the Christmas Pig was outstanding, she nailed it. Best of all ave got it all again to do next week when young Bradley Tash has his. No doubt dressed up as the Xmas jellyfish that saves Xmas from intergalactic aliens. Armed with only a selection box.
Off to the welfare in 20 mins to serve tea and snap to the retired miners and wives, then the pit reunion tonight where 200 knackered miners reminiscing over days and shifts they will never see again.
Christmas starts today for Tash. Merry Xmas all you well behaved forumers ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son's school has taken the decision that there is no place in today's multicultural society for something like the Nativity.

He is in P6 and has had one every year prior and its always been really well done.

But, this year its been removed. This is a village school with 60 pupils in TOTAL and every year pretty much every kid and their family have attended.

Strange decision for me but it is what it is.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My son's school has taken the decision that there is no place in today's multicultural society for something like the Nativity.

He is in P6 and has had one every year prior and its always been really well done.

But, this year its been removed. This is a village school with 60 pupils in TOTAL and every year pretty much every kid and their family have attended.

It’s absolutely the correct decision. It’s time to stop brainwashing children.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am very anti religion and understand that the Christmas play is not a nativity one, but time will tell

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that you'll find that what a child takes in respect of the Christmas story from a nativity play will fade if the parents let it. Evidence? Neither my church nor any I visit is crammed full of under 12s.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

In your opinion yes. I, personally, don't see a brainwashing element anymore than learning about maths or science. I believe that as my son grows with different views and stimuli that he will form his own opinions, just like I did.

We don't, IMO, allow for this by removing things that we, as developed consciousnesses, find wrong or irrelevant.
But it's just my opinion.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our very multicultural school is doing one. Actually the variety of cultures we have is celebrated year round so doing a nativity just feels like one of many things.

Culture and religion do overlap it seems but the school is balancing it all very well IMO and that is an achievement!

I don’t follow any religion and certainly wouldn’t classify as atheist (labels are for government forms only I think) so I am more than happy for my boy to learn about religions and cultures close to and far from home.

In our house we have our own personal traditions, not many “British” ones however, mostly just stuff we made up!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In your opinion yes. I, personally, don't see a brainwashing element anymore than learning about maths or science. I believe that as my son grows with different views and stimuli that he will form his own opinions, just like I did.

We don't, IMO, allow for this by removing things that we, as developed consciousnesses, find wrong or irrelevant.
But it's just my opinion.

I agree. A Nativity Play is surely at it's simplest just lovely dressing-up fun specific to this time of year, though it is also early introduction to (currently) the main religion of the UK, and so to understanding that there is religion in the world (whether we like it or not). As it happens I think that the traditional Nativity Play, nice as it it, could be re-cast as to what the Christmas story really is - a story of migrants rising above oppression and against the norms of the day to create - as they see it - something better.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Its snowflake crap.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree. A Nativity Play is surely at it's simplest just lovely dressing-up fun specific to this time of year, though it is also early introduction to (currently) the main religion of the UK, and so to understanding that there is religion in the world (whether we like it or not). As it happens I think that the traditional Nativity Play, nice as it it, could be re-cast as to what the Christmas story really is - a story of migrants rising above oppression and against the norms of the day to create - as they see it - something better.
Migrants! How does that work. Weren't they just obeying their overlords and going to register in the town they were born in for a census?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My G' Daughter's primary school is doing a show called Robin Hood
She plays the comic old maid who says the wonderful line.
'I'm so flushed I shall just have to sit down here and decompose myself'.:love:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Migrants! How does that work. Weren't they just obeying their overlords and going to register in the town they were born in for a census?
The family left Bethlehem after birth of Christ and fled to Egypt as Herod was on the hunt for a new born child and had all under two's in Bethlehem murdered...

So they were migrants after rather than before

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The family left Bethlehem after birth of Christ and fled to Egypt as Herod was on the hunt for a new born child and had all under two's in Bethlehem murdered...

So they were migrants after rather than before

Not really. Herod just gets bad press. There is very little evidence the masacre of the innocents actually happened.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My memory is of my son being told not to say anything but to look busy in one scene.

Everybody stifling there laughs as he pretended to play darts.

Wolf

Visit site
Always a highlight getting time off to watch my little ones in a nativity or a Christmas themed play. I love the fact at they age they get taught the true meaning of Christmas because if the innocence that comes with it. My youngest 3 this year all doing carol concerts and readings makes me proud and i swear there is always a bit of stray dust that gets in my eyes when i see them ?