Nativity play

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
''Children have a human right not to have their minds crippled by exposure to other people's bad ideas, and should have the ability to question the religious views of their parents''. (Nicholas Humphrey 1997)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
How many of you who think the Nativity is a positive thing would be ok with your children being asked to reenact a purely Islamic scene? Don’t even pretend you would be.

Wolf

Visit site
How many of you who think the Nativity is a positive thing would be ok with your children being asked to reenact a purely Islamic scene? Don’t even pretend you would be.
I think you’d be surprised at how diverse schools are nowadays, they’re not stuck in the times of only celebrating one religion. My kids school holds celebrations across the spectrum of religions of Hindu, Sikh, Islam, Christianity and Buddhism. Including visits to the varying religions places of worship. The kids all join in together in the celebrations as it teaches them what other cultures are about and how to respect them and the people of the varying cultures whilst enabling them opportunity to make up their own minds as they grow.

I for one applaud it and have absolutely no issue with it as I want my kids growing up in a multi cultural society of acceptance and not judgemental on others and their beliefs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I quite like the idea of showing kids that there are many religions out there so they decide for themselves which (if any) religion to investigate further.
But this should be done in their mid teens, not primary school.
Teach them how to think not what to think.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For me that's totally different. The nativity play for most is simply a tradition.
I certainly don't know watch it for its relegious message. Which has become diluted since we started havinf all Manor of people and animals now appear in the barn...

I can't say I'd enjoy a Muslim equivelant as I don't know any. But if it wasn't massively preaching a religious story I'd be fine with it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The nativity isn’t preaching. That’s a leap.

I'd say different parts of GB & I have varying degrees of how strictly religion is viewed as part of their culture.

My girls go to a C of E school and its as multicultural as I'd imagine any school can be. There are times I think it's too preachy but the Nativity isnt one of those times.

My kids certainly don't come out of it and then start trying to convert or preach to me.

It may be because I'm not religious, so not "part of the cycle" but for me education starts at home. I am happy with my kids learning about all regions and like to think that as they'll have had me around. When it comes to them getting older theyll soon write it off as nothing but stories from the past.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love going to watch my daughter in her nativity plays. They’re usually brilliant, genuinely heart warming with bits of unscripted comedy gold by a few of the kids. This year she’s the donkey - more in the mould of the one from Shrek than portrayed in the usual nativity story.

What’s not to like? You don’t have to like the theme of a film to appreciate the performances and enjoy the film.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yes a pun against Christians but I guess that's OK.
Of course it's fine.

It is in no way insulting Jesus.

That being said. I can't believe we live in a world where someone can get offended on behalf of someone who at best lived 2000 years ago. At worst is a fictional character.....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
''Religions greatest trick wasn't convincing some people that there was an all powerfull god, it was convincing everyone else that you couldn't ridicule the idea.'' (Ricky Gervais)

How true
Thats absolutely fair comment as long as it's across the board.