National Golf Restrictions - how can England be open and Wales closed?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only factor that I accept on banning golf is that is means that the further can of worms is no opened. You make the sport ban an blanket ban and there is less of the 'well if they can do that, why can we not do this etc'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each 'leader' is trying to prove that they are independent. Even after they all agreed to take a common stance a short while ago, Ms Crankie went UDI before any other 'leader' made the announcement

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is Wales for goodness sake. Rugby is the national religion

This is a myth. Although there are certain areas that the egg chasers are dominant, the majority couldn't even tell you what professional teams there are in the country and only watch the 6 nations.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This is a myth. Although there are certain areas that the egg chasers are dominant, the majority couldn't even tell you what professional teams there are in the country and only watch the 6 nations.

Well I have been living over the Bridge since 2009 and that certainly hasn't been my experience. I'd be shocked if that were right. You might have experienced folk "refusing to acknowledge" the existence of the merged regional teams! :) Eg We have golfers at our club from Ponty who wouldn't been seen dead in Rodney Parade and would refuse to talk about The Dragons.

Conversely, I can go to my office in Southampton after England won the 6 nations and no one knew it was on!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I have been living over the Bridge since 2009 and that certainly hasn't been my experience. I'd be shocked if that were right. You might have experienced folk "refusing to acknowledge" the existence of the merged regional teams! :) Eg We have golfers at our club from Ponty who wouldn't been seen dead in Rodney Parade and would refuse to talk about The Dragons.

Conversely, I can go to my office in Southampton after England won the 6 nations and no one knew it was on!

Up North (and other areas) football rules the day. Yes they all know when the 6 nations is on and that's virtually it. Calling it a religion for the whole of the country always gets my goat. The real religion is the round ball with (unfortunately) thousands heading to Merseyside, Manchester and beyond each weekend (pre Covid).

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read that Golf England had written to the UK government and were prominent in their actions gaining support from various areas, I seen some of the Sky presenters supporting the efforts on social media platforms.

I haven’t seen the other regional golf bodies promote the benefits and safety of golf with the same publicity. Nor have I seen many posts of support for Wales Golf or for the Golf Union of Ireland supporting the needs of golfers to the local parliaments sadly. Perhaps they have made representations but more is needed from our golfing authorities and political authorities for health and well-being of so many of us. An extra 20k golfers took up the sport in GB this year so surely the unions and industry is in a better place than ever to promote and help golfers get access to their courses.
Open letter to the First Minister regarding the closure of golf courses in Wales - WalesGolf

Brucelily

Visit site

Excellent, I stand corrected, in a good way and delighted this was submitted. I haven’t seen much on social media or mainstream media supporting Golf Wales. I haven’t seen anything from GUI for N Ireland and we are about to go into a 6 week lockdown after being in a 2 week without golf in November.
Strange that parks were rammed without social distancing during these restricted periods but golf courses were closed.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Excellent, I stand corrected, in a good way and delighted this was submitted. I haven’t seen much on social media or mainstream media supporting Golf Wales. I haven’t seen anything from GUI for N Ireland and we are about to go into a 6 week lockdown after being in a 2 week without golf in November.
Strange that parks were rammed without social distancing during these restricted periods but golf courses were closed.
That's the problem, people will flock to these areas just to get out of the house. Our course was full of people in April and May, walking their dogs, exercising etc but no one playing golf.

D

Deleted member 21258

Whats interesting is that if Anglesey 'island' was in England, it probably would be Tier 1 but it isn't in England, its in Wales and is in lockdown. Lockdown due to South of Wales in the main.

Cases per 100,000 are now lower in Anglesey than tier 1 cases ie. in cornwall, Herefordshire and isle of wight.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Up North (and other areas) football rules the day. Yes they all know when the 6 nations is on and that's virtually it. Calling it a religion for the whole of the country always gets my goat. The real religion is the round ball with (unfortunately) thousands heading to Merseyside, Manchester and beyond each weekend (pre Covid).
Some years ago the daily newspaper with largest circulation in Wales was the Liverpool Daily Post. It may be still

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some years ago the daily newspaper with largest circulation in Wales was the Liverpool Daily Post. It may be still

Certainly in North Wales yes but it was really just the Daily Post with the Liverpool bit missed off as it was the Wales edition. Not sure of the figures these days especially as the printing works in Llandudno Junction have been demolished to make way for another supermarket.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whats interesting is that if Anglesey 'island' was in England, it probably would be Tier 1 but it isn't in England, its in Wales and is in lockdown. Lockdown due to South of Wales in the main.

Cases per 100,000 are now lower in Anglesey than tier 1 cases ie. in cornwall, Herefordshire and isle of wight.
Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd have three of the lowest rates in Wales but are classed the same as the areas in South Wales that have about 7 of the top 10 highest rates in the UK. Hopefully, in 3 weeks time, this is going to be reviewed and each area assessed on its own merits. I have been told that you will only go down one tier at a time, not sure if this is accurate or not. If we get to go to tier 3, at least the course will be open even if the clubhouse isn't.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The OP question is simply a factor of Devolved Responsibility of policy.

Looking outside the window in South East Wales today, I wouldn't be playing anyway because,

1) Working!
2) Awful Weather!

Looking forward to courses in decent condition much earlier this year if they are "resting" in mid winter! :)

Yep. Working and quite happy to not be on the course had it even been open. Ghastly day to play in tier 4 land we call Berkshire. Got 9 holes booked on Boxing Day but not overly optimistic. At least there is no danger of crossing any Covid tier borders

Doodle

Visit site
It's the same argument that was had during the lockdowns.
Banning golf or tennis for that matter makes zero sense as there is little or no chance of passing on an infection whilst playing.
I can only assume it is done because the ones making the decisions are stupid / It's seen as elitist & the devolved assemblies are too busy trying to score political points instead of working for the health & well-being of there citizens.
I am of the opinion that banning any safe outdoor sport because of this virus is actually detrimental to physical & mental health & is ridiculous

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Today's weather in the South East is the worst I've seen this Winter. It really is annoying that during the November lockdown, the weather was unseasonably nice. As soon as it finished, the rain came:(

My thoughts exactly.