National Golf Restrictions - how can England be open and Wales closed?

Brucelily

Visit site
How come England is open for golf and other countries like Wales are closed for golf with N Ireland closing again from 26th?

Interested in views as I appreciate the different regional parliaments have the say on what happens but scientific advice is central and how come England have reopened (which I agree with) but others are to close.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Educated guess is golf is open in tier 4 now because in tiers 1-3 it's always been open so they want to avoid idiots traveling from tier 4 to a tier 2 club to play. So let their clubs play

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Because our collective elected leaders make this stuff up as they go along.

All of them are winging it.

That’s the real explanation

To a degree I can forgive this as we are in a totally new situation, but the disparity between some of the decisions I cannot fathom.

that plus trying to score political points against each other rather than doing whats best for the countries

This is the most unforgivable aspect of the whole issue.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
To a degree I can forgive this as we are in a totally new situation, but the disparity between some of the decisions I cannot fathom.
I was about to post the same. When a brand new situation in life happens and we can't really research how it has been handled previously, we're all 'winging it'.

Banning golf whilst allowing public exercise, still makes absolutely zero sense though. I am pleased that England at least seems to have realised that they made a mistake in shutting courses in November. I feel sorry for anyone in Wales that could be playing now, but isn't allowed.

Brucelily

Visit site
I read that Golf England had written to the UK government and were prominent in their actions gaining support from various areas, I seen some of the Sky presenters supporting the efforts on social media platforms.

I haven’t seen the other regional golf bodies promote the benefits and safety of golf with the same publicity. Nor have I seen many posts of support for Wales Golf or for the Golf Union of Ireland supporting the needs of golfers to the local parliaments sadly. Perhaps they have made representations but more is needed from our golfing authorities and political authorities for health and well-being of so many of us. An extra 20k golfers took up the sport in GB this year so surely the unions and industry is in a better place than ever to promote and help golfers get access to their courses.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Conscious of the Forum position on politics..:sneaky:

Yep, the leaders are all winging it!

I don't know why they are not using the lessons learned from last time! :) :whistle:

Golf Wales have tried to talk to the Senedd. They were not even interested in attending a meeting. They are not in favour of "golf" on ideological grounds...heck even rugby has a hard time dealing with these guys.

This is Wales for goodness sake. Rugby is the national religion

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Lightening the mood slightly..I feel sorry for anyone around here going to play now because they're allowed.. it's howling down outside.
Today's weather in the South East is the worst I've seen this Winter. It really is annoying that during the November lockdown, the weather was unseasonably nice. As soon as it finished, the rain came:(

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exercise outdoors is permissible with 1 "non-household" person - so presumably deemed to be with acceptable risk tolerance.
Golf can take place within those parameters.
But, some people in positions of authority don't or wont accept that, so ban it.
Can only be political nonsense.

As has been the whole situation. For such a small "country", it is ludicrous that the 4 home nations have not been able to agree and operate a single, unified set of rules & guidelines.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The OP question is simply a factor of Devolved Responsibility of policy.

Looking outside the window in South East Wales today, I wouldn't be playing anyway because,

1) Working!
2) Awful Weather!

Looking forward to courses in decent condition much earlier this year if they are "resting" in mid winter! :)