do what makes you smile

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If you want to put your name on your bag crack on fella

This game should be a bit of fun....

do what makes you smile

Yep, this.

Those of you whom have answered in such a judgmental way is what is wrong with this sport/game at every level, you're probably the first to moan about golfing attire or certain club rules but if someone wants to add their name to a bag their suddenly a knob or worse, it's a bit of fun FFS, a chance to self indulge in some way with your favorite hobby, no different to designing your own Footjoy shoes, having your balls printed, in fact having anything personal anywhere throughout your golfing equipment, which I would think a large percentage of us do in some way.

Some of you need to chill and just enjoy it for what it is, a game of golf, nothing more, nothing less and not be so judgemental of others!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, this.

Those of you whom have answered in such a judgmental way is what is wrong with this sport/game at every level, you're probably the first to moan about golfing attire or certain club rules but if someone wants to add their name to a bag their suddenly a knob or worse, it's a bit of fun FFS, a chance to self indulge in some way with your favorite hobby, no different to designing your own Footjoy shoes, having your balls printed, in fact having anything personal anywhere throughout your golfing equipment, which I would think a large percentage of us do in some way.

Some of you need to chill and just enjoy it for what it is, a game of golf, nothing more, nothing less and not be so judgemental of others!

I haven't got a problem with anyone putting their name on their bag Robin, just as long as they can hit the ball reasonably well enough to "justify it" if you like.
It's no different to the white trouser thread.
There are certain things in this game of ours which the majority of people will find acceptable.
Standing on the 1st tee dressed like a touring pro, with your name emblazoned on your bag in big, "f off" letters, taking an air shot on the 1st and then proceeding to hack your way around the course are just lining you up for ridicule in my opinion.
In over 30 years of playing golf, I have only ever played with one person who has had their name on their golf bag (apart from pro's when I've played in pro/ams).
I like Jon. He's a really nice guy. But frankly, I felt a bit embarrassed

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In over 30 years of playing golf, I have only ever played with one person who has had their name on their golf bag (apart from pro's when I've played in pro/ams).
I like Jon. He's a really nice guy. But frankly, I felt a bit embarrassed
When you were stood there feeling embarrassed about playing with him, were you wearing your white trousers? :D

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say that's it's generally a requirement for a tour pro or an elite amateur as people who go to watch can see who they are.

For the rest, not really but if someone wanted to then no big deal.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have often toyed with the idea of a staff bag and after seeing that new Cobra Masters one I think I will pull the trigger, now I don't think I would ever put my name on it, although I think the idea that people can't put their name on them cause their not 'good enough ' is ridiculous, do whatever you want with your bag. I had the idea of putting a Rose emblem on one as my daughter is called Rose, just thought it would be nice.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site

I hear what you say, but having your name one the bag is something your typically only see with tour pros, which makes having your name on the bag the biggest poser move any amateur player could make.

So, yes, everybody has the right to do what they want, and if they want their name on their bag, that's fine.

But I also have the right to laugh, not chuckle, about anybody who has his name on his bag and fails to shoot under par regularly.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Names on bags dont bother me. But I get the point smiffy made. We all recognise the 'all the gear no idea' types and regardless, people will judge.

Played with a senior at Bromborough last week. He played off 9 and had his name on his bag. Actually looked ok.
He duffed it a few times but I didnt feel he should have removed his name from his bag.

How many people have clubs stamped or shoes personalised who dont play off low handicaps?
Who's bothered by them?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have often toyed with the idea of a staff bag and after seeing that new Cobra Masters one I think I will pull the trigger, now I don't think I would ever put my name on it, although I think the idea that people can't put their name on them cause their not 'good enough ' is ridiculous, do whatever you want with your bag. I had the idea of putting a Rose emblem on one as my daughter is called Rose, just thought it would be nice.

A nice thought and think you should do it if you've not already. I've been toying with the idea of my logo on my bag and a bull as I'm a taurean.