My Swing...

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
looked fine to me, anyone who has the gonads to put their swing up for critique to this bunch of reprobates has my admiration.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just my 2 cents until someone that knows what they're talking about comes along.

Firstly, Windows Live Movie Maker will turn it around like rotating a photo, and it's free.

I don't think you look too crouched at all. You're right about the move at the top though. It's like you're starting your downswing with your shoulders and from then it's all arms and your hips just turn with your upper body like they're only along for the ride.
I'd say try getting your hips turning to start the downswing and let your arms and shoulders get pulled along by the hip turn.

I hope that makes sense, and that I get corrected by real experts if I'm wrong.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's better. :)
Good powerfull attitude to the swing.
Unfortunatly, it's in the wrong direction.
If you look at the direction of the club path through the ball, it's way left.
I see you've tried to cure that by standing a bit further away from the ball but your gone a bit too far.
Have you heard of the 3 ball (sponge) drill?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that the drill where you put one headcover outside the line behind the ball and another inside the line in front of the ball?

If so, then I've been trying that but finding it difficult. Would you agree with Region3 in that the start of my downswing being triggered by my shoulders as opposed to my hips is what is throwing the club to the outside?

I didn't realise that I was standing too far away either.

Thanks for the comments :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with Gary, it's very armsy.
I would persevere with the head cover drill.
Do away with the head cover in front of the ball to start with. Then as you get better re-introduce it.
It's a great drill for getting the feel of swinging more from the inside, rather than checking where every single part of your body should be at a certain time.
It's a VERY common swing.
If however, your happy with the fade, leave it.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll keep on with the drill then and maybe trying to change the downswing trigger from my shoulders to my hips.

I'm happy when it fades, i'm not happy when it's a 30 yard slice which happens when i'm having an off day. I'm not looking to change too much, just to be able to hit a straight ball or a bit of a fade but whatever it does I want to do it consistantly.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's weird, it didn't look crouched to me when I had my head sideways, but now it does, and too far away as Bob said.

Bob recommended the sponge drill to me and it's very good at getting you to do the right thing without having to think about it too much. It's embarrassing when you have to go 5yds on to the range to recover it though when it goes wrong!

The other thing that I found useful to get the feeling of my right shoulder passing under my chin rather than shooting out towards the ball was something called (I think) the clap drill.
Stand as if you are addressing the ball but without a club. Take your right arm back as if you were swinging a club but leave your left where it is, then on the downswing clap your left hand with the right so that your left arm moves towards where the target would be.
It's not a drill as such to groove your swing, it just tells you how it should feel when you get it right, or at least that's how I felt.

I hope that makes sense.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Photo0-3.jpg

I know I posted this frame on another thread but compare your left arm at a similar position in the swing.
Almost without exception, slicers have the collapsed left elbow which drags the club accross the line.
Try some gentle swings focussing on trying to keep your left arm extended as long as you can.
This will help you keep the club on line :)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Neutral to strong. 2.5 - 3 knuckles of my left hand visable at address and the Vs pointing at my right armpit. I've just changed to this from what was a pretty weak grip where the back of my left hand pointed at the target.

I tend to hit my irons well, just the odd one is a pull.