My Swing

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looks good, however as I said in Homers thread, take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I would say that at the top of your backswing it doesn't seem like you've got much power coiled up in your swing. Maybe try and swing a bit shorter and it may feel stronger? x

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play off 18, and have been working recently on trying to hit the ball from more of an inside path. Although I've started to see the odd draw creeping into my game my bad shot is now a hook.

Any critique would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do you hit real hooks (ball starts right then goes left) or pull hooks?

If you wanted to practice something, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc1kt6MASDY&NR=1

I reckon you could do a lot worse than flattening out your swing, it might also keep your head a bit more still (up and down) which can't be a bad thing.

Then again, if you are really getting the club inside on the way down, you may be happy with a definite 2-plane swing.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not bad for an 18 handicap,don't fancy giving you many shots.Set up is good,but you do swing a little upright,and need to turn your hips 45 degrees and shoulders 90 degrees.Left shoulder under your chin and feel that your back is facing the target at top of backswing.This will increase your coil and give you more power.Hope this helps and remember to warm up first don't want any back injuries!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Your back swing is a little long if you watch carefully there is a point were you have a full shoulder turn and are in a good position at the top, you then carry on back and it unravels a bit you need to try to stop at the full shoulder turn after that it just causes problems.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
There is a point where club is parallel,but that is achieved by wrist and hands.Shoulders do not turn fully to achieve this position,and back not fully turned to target.In my opinion swing needs to be less upright which will allow swing to be more inside on the way down.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Grace,(strange name for a guy),
As has been mentioned already, the backswing for a 7 iron is a bit long.
Try going to the range and doing the following
Swing halfway back with your arms but make more of a hip turn. That will give you a more powerful position to start your downswing.
It should also help with those ones that shoot off to the left. :)
Let us know how you get on.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would get a lesson as there is a lot that is good with your swing,it just needs tightening up.I had a long swing when younger,but know with older age and less flexibility i have a better/shorter iron swing. Shame it doesn't work so well with the driver!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's easy to lose control of the clubhead if you overswing that much. Try to stay in control and not go past parallel at the top. I like to practice with some slower takeaways and then really rip through the ball on the way down. I'm personally not a great fan of getting your hands quite that high as it's more of a lift than a rotation, but that's just me :)

Here's a pic of David Toms who has very high hands, at the top you can just about see how he stops the club 20° short of parallel...

toms.gif

How long have you been playing?

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
Been playing a couple of years now. Got my first handicap at the start of this season which was 23, so moving in the right direction!

Cheers for the feedback anyway guys, you've spotted a few things that I hadn't.