My Swing Speed Journey

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Wait 'til you start doing them on your knees. A mate of mine did it, said it's very hard to keep your balance.
When I originally started speed training a few years ago, I borrowed the speedsticks from my old boss, I was doing the exercises in my master bedroom as we're in a townhouse so the master is basically the loft - had no problems with space until I did the swings on my knees and ended up ploughing into the bannister with one of the sticks, that's when I handed them back after getting a serious telling off from the wife :ROFLMAO:

cunnini

Visit site
anyone help - i'm just starting out on speed training - all my swings with Rypsticks are lower speed than when i swing with a driver and hit a ball.............

all in same day on mat at driving range

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
anyone help - i'm just starting out on speed training - all my swings with Rypsticks are lower speed than when i swing with a driver and hit a ball.............

all in same day on mat at driving range
I can definitely recommend having a proper warm up. I would say the key for me is really trying to swing faster, not harder, my quickest swings so far I've felt like they've actually been slower - it's all about using your body in the correct way, really using the ground.

My last three sessions I've been able to hit 110-112, but when I'm doing my baseline tests I'm sat around 108 average and I think that's because I'm trying harder at that moment.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm now into the 2nd level, which is just a change from the Freezer Drill, to a Step Drill. The last four sessions I've hit a mini plateau and was stuck at 108 on my baseline tests.

Just finished my latest session and put some real intent into making a quick and long swing. Pleased to say I smashed through the 108 barrier, and even recorded my quickest swing at 113.

Screenshot-20231223-090346-Rypstick.jpg

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm now into the 2nd level, which is just a change from the Freezer Drill, to a Step Drill. The last four sessions I've hit a mini plateau and was stuck at 108 on my baseline tests.

Just finished my latest session and put some real intent into making a quick and long swing. Pleased to say I smashed through the 108 barrier, and even recorded my quickest swing at 113.
Nice.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just started Stack, a few sessions in and speed is trending up, but I think that is more just getting a feel for the trainer and how to swing it faster rather than fundamental gains. 6 Week programme. We shall see in mid Feb.

cunnini

Visit site
just back from range, and using PRGR swing speeds 98,99,98, 96, 130, 95, 98............ anyone else get these odd anomalies - there's no way swing speed was 130 and carry 281, which was what the PRGR read!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I've not had any unrealistically high ones but have had quite a few low ones which I think were backswings.

TigerTime

Visit site
Be very careful you don't develop a sway, that can be ok off the tee but kill your contact.
You may see the long drive champs sway onto their back foot which is fine for them, but they never have to hit the ball off the ground.

This is exactly what happened to me when I started speed training last year, followed by months of misery on the golf course even with my new found speed. I regret it hugely and I've basically spent this winter dialling it back.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Nearing the end of the 2nd level.

Things were going nicely but I hurt my back in the gym (incorrect technique on my deadlift), which, combined with the cold weather, means I've not been at my quickest.

Trying to leave as much time between sessions as possible along with a lot of stretching and will hopefully be back at the 111, 112 mark soon.

Screenshot-20240110-171137-Rypstick.jpg

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Pleased to say my back is feeling better and the sessions since have been back to normal.

I hit a PB today for a single swing which was 114 and my baseline test was also a PB

Screenshot-20240114-185154-Rypstick.jpg

Yesterday I went to Topgolf in Watford and took my PRGR along with me as I've not done any tests actually hitting any balls. Took a few decent balls along with me to hit at the end of the session and was pleased to see the following numbers.

20240114-185130.jpg

In order of being recorded, from top left to bottom right.

Happy with those numbers, considering the result strike wasn't the greatest.