My Swing Speed Journey

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So take care, warm up then hit it as hard as you can?

The OP might want to read this article from the aforementioned Neurosurgeon Dr Sekhon where he says

“Turn down the power on tee-offs,” Dr. Sekhon says. “They really are the most violent movement. Instead, use 70% power.”

Fair to paraphrase that as, nobody should ever try to hit a drive beyond 200 yards, or 150 yd if you are not young and doing strength training ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is the op not just doing exactly what Matt Fitzpatrick did? Countless other pro golfers as well I suspect. Yes, he has to be careful but it is a path others have already gone down.

Surely the idea of speed training is to raise your levels through repetitive and measured exercise and conditioning - you then raise your base levels so that a comfortable swing is faster - it's not different to any other kind of physical activity.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The article appears to be about suggestions on how to play golf whilst you are suffering from lower back pain. ie you don't want to exacerbate a condition. Not general advice on how to play golf.
I don't think anyone is advocating starting speed training whist suffering from back pain.

Last edited:

JGolfer

Visit site
I've decided to put this thread together to share my journey as I try to increase my swing speed.

Putting it online should also provide an element of accountability for myself too.

I've previously borrowed a set of Superspeed sticks and got on quite well with them but had to give them back and my progress stalled after that.

I've decided to start the process again, along with getting back into the gym where I'll be doing 2 or 3 30 minute, full body workouts per week.

After looking around and reading some reviews I've opted to buy the Rypstick. This is an all in one unit at 45" that has three weights that you utilise.

20231126-200646.jpg

It also has a counterbalanced weight to aid with releasing the club.

20231126-200656.jpg

And it came with a lovely little sock cover:

20231126-200554.jpg

I also bought the PRGR so I am able to monitor my clubhead speed and keep a proper record of my progress.

Their is a free to download app that Rypstick provide and within this you follow the various programs, all with embedded video tutorials, and record your progress. It also lets you know when you should rest and when your next session should be done.

Screenshot-20231126-182651-Rypstick.jpg

On Saturday I started the process by getting a baseline reading, using my own driver. After a warm up, where I was seeing readings of around 85-90mph, I made 5 swings at maximum effort and was pleasantly surprised to get an average of 104mph.

Following my round today I did my first proper session, which involved switching between dominant and non dominant swings, using no weights all the way up to 3 weights. The program was very easy to follow and the app is super easy to use. Following the session I had another 5 swings at full rip and averaged 106mph.

My next session is in 2 days and I'm excited to see where this could lead.
Best of luck, look forward to seeing your progress. I started my speed training journey just over a year ago, went from 100 SS to 113 now.

Well worth it 👍

Albo

Visit site
Best of luck, look forward to seeing your progress. I started my speed training journey just over a year ago, went from 100 SS to 113 now.

Well worth it 👍
That’s great progress!

Have you seen much improvement out on the course in terms of distance

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Well worth it 👍
Did that translate to HI reduction ?
Roughly, 10 yards driver distance increase from 4mph club head speed gain, is about a shot reduction in HI.
You would be looking at a 3 shot decrease.
I pretty much got that. 8mph increase, 2 shot HI reduction.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi OP, apologies if this is mentioned above or elsewhere, but have you done anything like TPI assessment to check on current flexibility/ health etc to see if there's general non golf swing exercises you could do to help increase speed?
I'm thinking of popping along for one, as I've reached a ripe(ish) old age, and I'd like to work on my game a bit this winter without having to go out in the cold...

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck Deano
Enjoy the process
Proceed with caution but proceed
If we all worried about hurting ourselves we wouldn’t get out of bed.
I hope your improved distance help’s get that handicap down.

Bob does make a good point on the short game.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi OP, apologies if this is mentioned above or elsewhere, but have you done anything like TPI assessment to check on current flexibility/ health etc to see if there's general non golf swing exercises you could do to help increase speed?
I'm thinking of popping along for one, as I've reached a ripe(ish) old age, and I'd like to work on my game a bit this winter without having to go out in the cold...
Hello. I haven't done anything like that, I would like to though just to see where I'm at. I'm lucky that I'm naturally athletic and have always been active, I would definitely recommend doing it though.

In terms of the gym work I'm doing, I'm mainly doing compound excercises; squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench press. Not necessarily going heavy but moving a decent amount of weight fairly quickly. You wont go wrong with any of those.

Done my 2nd speed session of the week today, been up since 5am and had a long day at work, but had a good warm up and averaged out at 105mph so pretty consistent so far.

D

Deleted member 1147

@DeanoMK
Do you follow the ETPI on twitter?
They have articles, demos of workouts worth looking into for speed/strength work

Jason.H

Visit site
I had a go at this last winter and gained around 10%. I would say that now I swing with the same effort as before but through the process i developed better sequencing. I got frustrated tbh that I couldn’t ”get faster”. I actually tweeked something in my back trying to give it more speed so that made me nervous that I could do some damage.
And then I started trying different things with the swing that gave more speed without more effort. For me that included learning to use the ground more amongst many other things. But the combination of many little things made a big difference for me. Those little changes are now ingrained and I just concentrate on centre strike which I’ve improved on massively.
Everyone has their own tempo and I found that sticking with that and optimising all areas of the swing gives the best results.