My Swing Feb 08

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
After a winter of practising and having a few lessons this where my swing is at the moment.

I have to be careful as I sometimes get to flat at the top and am prone to duck hook or if i'm tired I throw it over the top and block it out right!!!!

Any thoughts , comments , abuse :)??

http://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorTwin1

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks ok, nice triangle through first half of the swing but do your arms move backwards at the top of your back swing and then forwards as you start to rotate for the downswing?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loving how the down swing starts, that's exactly what im working on at the moment.

I would like to see you get the club at 90 degrees on the back swing quicker it looks a very flat takeaway.

A good swing mate, well done.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very good swing, Junior. Liking that rhythm.

However, ;)...if I'm being over-critical (and these are very minor changes because the basics are excellent) I'd like to see the spine angle slightly more angled away from the target at address (from head on) to encourage a better weight shift. You seem very straight up and down and this can lead to a wee reverse pivot if you don't watch

...and your swing plane on the way back down comes slighly under and steep (watch the shaft on the first couple of feet back down, the butt end shouldn't be so inside the ball line, your hands should remain outside the clubhead longer)

Make any sense?

However, other than that I'd say it's excellent.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looks like you might be turning your wrists over a bit early - just before impact. The hands just looks a bit 'forced' at that point.

An early turnover might explain the duck hooks or there again it might not.

The left knee flex seems to kick in quite late which makes you look a tad stilted but don't know to what extent this might influence ball flight if at all.

Your arms and hands at takeway to the top look great to me.

The high speed video really helps. Wasn't aware that this could be done in driving range video bay. Might have to have a go at that one myself.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look good to me. mine is crap and haven't got the bottle to put it up yet... maybe soon, only thing i though was at address your meant to have your left foot flared out slightly, (aren't you!) anyway it looks like it flips out to the position it should be in after impact, surley that is going to lose balance a little, but i think it is a belter pal, go tear it up!!!!!

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice swing Junior. I think there can be improvements made but they're minor.
Try and keep the right leg flexed at the top of the backswing, generates more torque(power)in the swing also keeps your height constant. Even if it means a shorter shoulder turn, which at the moment is excellent, I'd advise this.
You seem to start the downswing with your hands, so the hands get to the ball a little quickly, this promotes a slight scooping action with the club, and a substantial loss of power. Try starting the downswing with weight shift, hips or even torso, then let the arms flow from there.This will also loosen your wrists a bit.Think of the club going down on to and through the ball.
But as I said mate minor things and you have good fundamentals.

T

thecraw

Looks good, well timed. If it works keep it. Its a simple swing so dont change anything. On here you get information overload.

B

birdieman

Junior, lots of positives. I would concur with JF on the weight shift - if you stop the video at the top of the backswing it looks like you haven't weighted the right side fully, then as you come into the strike the swing looks a little 'armsy' and out of sync with the body because you haven't got the weight shift going to the target you're struggling to get your body out of the way a little.
Get the weight on your right side at the top of the backswing so you can drive the weight through to target in the downswing and clear your body out of the way for the strike.
H Haney. :rolleyes:

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mostly....I'm liking it.

BUT, if you want me to be brutally honest.....you are swinging it like I was 3 weeks ago......and I was heading for disaster. The rest is way better than mine though.

On the backswing you are setting the club very flat (butt end outside the line) and then coming down pretty steep (butt end inside the line)......leave it this way at your peril!!!

This is my personal "mission" at the moment, I wouldn't normaly mention it, but as it's there, I thought I'd bring it up. Go for a lesson, get a 2nd opinion. I don't think I'm wrong.