My swing. Comments please.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok. I've not really had a chance to check out my swing on video for the last 18 months or so. I have some footage from Goswick in the heat of battle, as it were, so I thought I'd check it out in slowmo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kftbvFRYgs0

Driver, 6 iron and wedge. All straightish but no oomph. I'd want them all back.

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
All straightish but no oomph.

Obviously I'm not technically knowledgable enough to answer.

But I'm going to anyway ;).

If these are your 'bad' swing, and your good shots are better, then surely there can't much to worry about. If your bad shots get you there or there abouts, and don't leave you 60 yards left in the deep stuff, then a decent short game will see you ok.

I love the takeaway, even if you keep the clubface closed a tad, and it ends up closed at the top of the backswing. The way you drop back inside on the transition is very pretty, and looks to be very consistant as well.

I'm guessing it's pretty much ingrained, so you aren't going to do any major changes to it anytime soon - and why should you.

I mean, if you think your hands end up a little high, and you make your backswing more 'one plane', then you'll need to change your strong grip, and your transition, and you'll end up getting you body in front of your hands and start blocking it right,or something equally daft.

Would it be fair to say that on your day you are a bit of a bandit off 6? :eek:

In case you hadn't guessed - I like it ;)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
....then a decent short game will see you ok.

Ah. Erm. Cough. Shuffle.....

Anyone who's seen my short game doesn't speak to me about it out of politeness. They probably don't want to speak ill of the dead. Lets' just say I'm the first person to get the putter out of the bag from off the green and in Texas scrambles I'll rely on the 78 handicappers to pull off those shots from under 60 yards.

Let's just say I have mental issues with it now.

I realise that my swing is pretty ingrained now after 30 years of playing and that any changes will be by small increments. However, I still see lots of room for improvement with my swing (better leg action particularly...I hate that flying right knee and heel) and with my ball striking. After all, if Tommo can get it down to Cat 1 for the first time in his life when he's well into his 90's then why can't I?

:D :D

Thanks for the kind words, though.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's what I'm seeing - a very ingrained swing. Yes it's not perfect, but it looks very similar for all three clubs.

I reckon that if you are going to try to change it you're going to get worse before you get better.

When I started again last year I thought I had the perfect oportunity to start afresh with a new swing, and a nice draw, and learn to hit the damn thing. However, even after a 15 odd year break, my muscle memory was so ingrained that there's no way I was going to have any fun playing whilst trying to use that swing.

So this year, with JOuk's help, I've gone back to what comes naturally, tightened it up to minimise body movement etc, and I've got something that looks a bit like a swing.

In your shoes I'd be very cautious about trying to do too much.

:p

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers. I'll keep going for more lessons over the next year to try and tighten up the loose ends (and try to find a go to chipping action!) but I don't mind getting worse before I get better.

Lengthwise I'm not the longest or shortest. Wedge 120, 7 iron 155, 4 iron 185, driver carry 230-240. I'm not gonna increase my swing speed any at my age so just trying to hit the ball solidly more often to keep the distances predictable.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I knew there was something throwing me off balance, Rob. Glad I asked now. I'll give it a try.

See. I knew you guys would come up with something constructive.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Oddly enough your swing actually reminds me of Jim Furyk through the transition and downswing, and he recently won $11.35M, not quite as open shouldered as he gets but similar nevertheless. That being the case you are never going to be a long hitter... sorry :)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I knew I had a hairstyle in common with Furyk but not a swing trait! Sadly our bank balances have nothing in common.

And I'd be happy to hit it as far as him.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's not a criticism, far from it, but a change here and there isn't going to fix what isn't currently broken... if you want it broken I could offer loads of advice! :D

Practice your short game :D :D :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As others have said, not a lot wrong. :)
Normally, I would chose a frame that highlights someones problem in their swing, but for you, I've got a frame which shows up one of your strengths. A fantastic position going into impact :)

jf.jpg

From what you've said, your short game is not a thing of beauty though. :(
I would suggest you have a short game lesson and practice it till your confidence grows on those little chip shots around the greens.
I'm guessing long game h/cap is Cat I, short game Cat III?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing much to add other than I share your short game pain and mine has become a mental battle more than anything. Even with a couple of lessons I can't find a go to shot or set up and it just racks up the pressure to find fairways and hit greens. Fortunately for you, your swing is capable of doing that regularly. It has a great tempo and your transition is awesome. I think you are being a tad over picky

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Bob, I'm afraid they don't have a category high enough for my short game. Ask StuartD. He just laughs when I play him and we're in the same spot short of the green. He knows he has me beat!

I have long known that that's the aspect of my game which needs most improvement ....and I do practice.... but to no avail, even with lessons. It's all in the mind now. Hopefully one day I will overcome!

Bloody game. You gotta love it.

B

birdieman

John, I cant see Furyk in there, I just see Sergio Garcia -club laid off at the top a bit and then it drops into the inside just like El Nino.

One wee thing - watched the driver impact over a few times and I'm not sure you're extending the follow through right through the shot, seems you maybe come up out of it a bit early and flat? Might just be talking crapola of course! :eek:

Re you're short game, it is probably better than Sergio's! ;)