My Study of OBFL versus NBFL

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm confused by all this 'new' laws and 'old' laws. The laws of physics haven't changed just because someone has drawn a load of coloured lines on a bit of paper.

No they haven't.... and the world isn't flat even though we thought it was for a millenia or so. Misinformation. :thup:

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow this is the most confusing topic ever lol...
So in reality would me knowing all this make me a better golfer or is it just something that's interesting to know and understand?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wow this is the most confusing topic ever lol...
So in reality would me knowing all this make me a better golfer or is it just something that's interesting to know and understand?

It helped me!

I no longer aim the face at the pin that is directly behind the tree when I want to draw/hook the ball round the tree. Now when I aim the face a little to the right of the tree (but a little to the left of my swing path), it gets past the tree! Likewise, my 'cuts' end up on the green rather than in the rubbish to the right of it!

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Patrick, didn't posting this sort of false information get you banned/suspended from another golf forum? I recognised your post the instant I saw the pictures. A quick look showed it's word for word!

The post didn't get me banned but my disagreements with the site administrator got me penalty boxed for a week. I no longer take part in boards where free speech is not allowed. What's false about the information I have posted. Its my opinion of the difference between N & OBFL.

Last edited:

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
No they haven't.... and the world isn't flat even though we thought it was for a millenia or so. Misinformation. :thup:

I wouldn't call it misinformation but slightly inaccurate at worst. Its the new law conquistadors who confused things by insisting on using face to target parameters to make the differences seem greater.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
It helped me!

I no longer aim the face at the pin that is directly behind the tree when I want to draw/hook the ball round the tree. Now when I aim the face a little to the right of the tree (but a little to the left of my swing path), it gets past the tree! Likewise, my 'cuts' end up on the green rather than in the rubbish to the right of it!

This is not an argument. There is no mention of aligning face to target for a slice or hook in the OBFL. You are making up your own laws to make them sound wrong.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The post didn't get me banned but my disagreements with the site administrator got me penalty boxed for a week. I no longer take part in boards where free speech is not allowed. What's false about the information I have posted. Its my opinion of the difference between N & OBFL.

Free speach is always welcome. Everyone has their own views and long may it continue.

D

Deleted Member 1156

But the simple fact is...the laws HAVEN'T changed! If you line up a clubface and swing on a certain path, the ball will go in the same direction today as it always has.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is not an argument. There is no mention of aligning face to target for a slice or hook in the OBFL. You are making up your own laws to make them sound wrong.

I haven't read the OBFL as such so maybe not qualified to comment, but aligning the face to the target is exactly how Luke Donald & Nick Faldo (2 Youtube videos off the top of my head) describe playing a fade/draw.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But the simple fact is...the laws HAVEN'T changed! If you line up a clubface and swing on a certain path, the ball will go in the same direction today as it always has.

True, but not the way it used to be taught.

As someone else pointed out, the earth has always been round but there was a time when people thought it was flat. Didn't make it right.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How can people get this soooooo wrong and confused :mad:

probably because people have been taught so many different variations and magazines are still full of single page hints and tips, and what is most confusing is that some of them seem to work. it still confuses me trying to relate the NBFL to what i've been taught, which certainly does allow me to fade and draw and push and pull where necessary. (though i still don't really use these on the course as i feel that above a hcap of 5, most of what you really need to do can be accomplished just by trying to hit it straight)

i have been taught to aim my feet along the target line i.e. at the flag, but to change ball position to alter the swing path as my shoulders open and close as the ball is forward / back in the stance. that takes care of the push / pull.

then hold the club face open to hit the fade or close the face at the top of the backswing to hit the draw.

when i was shown that i was drawing the ball with an open clubface becasue it was closed in relation to the path (he was trying to correct a swing path which had got excessively in to out and we were on a trackman) then i understood that we couldn't be ignoring NBFL altogether, but i still find it tricky to relate the techniques i've been taught to the descriptions of the NBFL that appear here periodically.

are they right or wrong? not sure. am i doing what i really think i'm doing? not sure. do they work? yes they do appear to. am i confused. sure am...

D

Deleted Member 1156

True, but not the way it used to be taught.

As someone else pointed out, the earth has always been round but there was a time when people thought it was flat. Didn't make it right.

Thank you, emphasises my point perfectly. People may or may not have known years ago but if you swing on any given swing path with the clubface pointing in a particular direction then the ball will end up in the same place today as it would have done 50 years ago.

Nothing has changed.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
People may or may not have known years ago but if you swing on any given swing path with the clubface pointing in a particular direction then the ball will end up in the same place today as it would have done 50 years ago.

Nothing has changed.

Such a childish response to something that is more complex than point and shoot.... if you're told to point the club in the wrong direction it ain't gonna go where it's supposed to.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Such a childish response to something that is more complex than point and shoot.... if you're told to point the club in the wrong direction it ain't gonna go where it's supposed to.

Please enlighten me, what is childish about it? Are you saying that 50 odd years ago (Hogan, Snead, Sarazen, Palmer, Nicklaus et al) were incapable of hitting the ball where they intended just because someone has drawn a load of lines on a chart trying to prove they were wrong?