My name is HawkeyeMS and...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...I'm considering getting a trolley.

Dear forum members, I'm going through a crisis following Camberley Heath on Monday and am seriously considering getting a trolley. I don't like using trolleys, never have as I like the freedom of carrying my bag to wherever my ball may be. I've never found carrying a particular hardship and don't feel tired after a round but for the first time ever on Monday I honestly believe carrying affected my golf.

Since having a lesson earlier in the year I have been working on getting my right arm in a certain position but as I got into the back nine I found that rather than being a natural position it became a conscious effort to get in the right position at the top of my backswing and my right arm began to ache and as a result my round collapsed big style (I would have had a couple of Mables as well under JustOne's Rules). Granted it was hot, it was 27 holes and I'm not in the greatest physical shape at the moment but I can only put the aching of my right arm down to the lifting of my bag onto my shoulder all day. I know we all have collapses and bad holes but once I realised what was going on I was able to fix it and finish quite strongly but it was a struggle.

It seems 90% of golfers use trolleys these days so I figure it can't be all bad but whenever I've had one before I've always gone back to carrying.

I don't want anything fancy, electric or remote control, just a standard push trolley that folds up pretty small. I've been looking at the Motocaddy S1 Lite. The other issue is I don't want to buy another bag so something that will take my current bag would be useful. Can anyone advise of a decent that fits those criteria and isn't stupidly expensive?

Cheers - Hawkeye in Crisis

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was surprised that at Camberley my fourball in the afternoon all carried. I find that on hilly courses carrying is easier than pushing a trolley.

I have a Powakaddy twinline 3 which is very easy to push, but it doesn't fit with my Sun Mountain carry bag all that well.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I felt the same after Monday. My back & shoulders were fine, my knees started aching on the back 9 in the afternoon. I just put it down to old age. I also find that I have to compromise when I carry. I can't take waterproofs, umbrella, drink and food so something gets left behind. Usually waterproofs.

I don't think I'll go exclusively to a trolley, but it may be the start of a slippery slope to powercaddy-dom

I also fell over down a hole in the rough, looking for someones ball :eek: I didn't put my bag down before hand and was momentarily caught off balance. I tend to take the shortest route when I'm carrying. with a trolley I would stick to the paths & avoid the slapstick act :D

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i used a push trolley in the morning but due to my stand bag not fitting properly I carried in the afternoon, no effort on my part, and to be honest was most probably quicker because I couldn't take the trolley through the heather.

If money is an issue then Powerkaddy twinline, but if you can afford the extra then go Stewart Z1

http://www.stewartgolf.co.uk/product/Z1-PUSH/Z1+Push+Trolley+-+UP+TO+£70+OFF+CLEARANCE+OFFER

That Stewart one looks perfect - except they only have red or pink left

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That Stewart one looks perfect - except they only have red or pink left
get the pink one!
i've never carried - dont understand why anyone wants to lump 14 kilos of stuff round with them! clanking away...and not being able to carry a full change of clothes and enough shoes to make imelda marcos jealous ;)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carried, bought a Twinline 3 and loved it, then joined Pyecombe GC which is very hilly in places and found the trolley much harder to push around so have gone back to carrying. At RA it looks pretty flat so i would definitely recommend getting a trolley. At 37 i felt a bit of an old fart getting the trolley in the first place but once over that (self inlicted stigma), they are great. Will definitely continue to use the trolley on flatter courses.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I'm considering getting a trolley.

Cheers - Hawkeye in Crisis

Use a Pencil Bag. Prevents loading too much weight!

Picky sods might notice that it doesn't half crinkle decent pullovers though!

If you have to go trolley, Clic-gear styles really work - 1 finger pushing and fold up very well. Just make sure brakes are engaged if near water. One rolled from beside 8th green into the skanky pond in front of 9th tee at Mill Ride once. Some gear had to be dived for (full dry-suit) the following day!

I do know of someone about to sell a Go-Kart in the very near future though.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I carried, bought a Twinline 3 and loved it, then joined Pyecombe GC which is very hilly in places and found the trolley much harder to push around so have gone back to carrying. At RA it looks pretty flat so i would definitely recommend getting a trolley. At 37 i felt a bit of an old fart getting the trolley in the first place but once over that (self inlicted stigma), they are great. Will definitely continue to use the trolley on flatter courses.

37 you say, exactly what I am now.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you see the Mad Hatter ?:whistle:

he was there.... showing off and surprisingly hat-less.

back to the original question, What is the acceptable age to get a trolley ??? and does the downward spiral go pull trolley then electric, or is there another stage in between??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say in my opinion pushing/pulling a trolley is equally if not harder than carrying. Go the whole hog, get an electric trolley, let it take the strain, especially when you are playing in the wet with loads of waterproofs, towels etc and focus on the golf

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your name is Hawkeye and you are considering getting trollied.

:)

Sounds great. Is Homer going to push you around Berkshire in an Asda special after 12 cans of cheap euro-fizz.

I don't know, the youth of today....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'll go exclusively to a trolley, but it may be the start of a slippery slope to powercaddy-dom

Always a worry.

Go with a non-poseur one, save on the banter from your mates.

I couldn't decide between GK or P/Bug. Went with P/Bug.

I was going to wait until aged 50, but I could be dead by then, from excessive carrying..... :(