My Golf Spy - 2019 Ball Buyers Guide.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The test was aimed at Urethane covered balls although they did include the Tour Soft and the ERC Soft as, apparently, they are being pitched against the Tour balls...?
in that case they missed out the Wilson balls, Duo Prof and one of the others have a U cover.

I also didn't see temperature mentioned?? balls tested in the states at 30deg plus may not have the same results as here in 15;)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Yeah, that's put the cat among the pigeons for me. I've always gone for softer golf balls, but as my swing speed is perhaps just the slower side of average, they seem to be suggesting I shouldn't have bothered.

I'm guessing this is an American Site, as I've never heard of 'Inesis' or 'OnCore' which they have in the very good category.

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/inesis-long-and-soft-ball.66211/

Sold in Decathlon sports stores. I'm pretty sure I've seen the name when in Japan too. Not tried them by the way, no idea if they're any good.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
in that case they missed out the Wilson balls, Duo Prof and one of the others have a U cover.

I also didn't see temperature mentioned?? balls tested in the states at 30deg plus may not have the same results as here in 15;)
Wilson Duo is in there, maybe the others aren't available over there.
They do mention temperature briefly but they don't expand much on the effects.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Articles like this always make me think a bit, which isn't always for the best :D

I've always chosen balls on how they feel, I hate playing a ball that feels like a stone when I hit it. I didn't realize that that a softer ball gave up spin around the green though, I would have assumed the opposite just on thinking that a softer ball would be gripped by the grooves easier, guess not. I don't think it will change the balls I play though, will always prefer the likes of the ProV1/ TP5 and Bridgestone Tour B RX over others, but, if it boils down to cost, which it does a lot of the time, then I'll sacrifice the "performance" for the price if I need to.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said a few weeks ago, I’ll be moving to Snell once I’ve run out of TP5s. Hugely impressed a few months ago

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
How so. People generally focused on scoring to a greater, or a least some degree.

If you can shorten every par 4 to a sub 150 yard par 3... you'll surely enjoy the chance to score well.

I agree with Grant. Distance is not everything, but it is a lot when your swing speed is low (85-90 driver for me )
On the range I see young men hitting 7 irons a long way- 170 or more.
(Oh to be young again), but they don't make the golf holes shorter for me because of my age,
So, anything that helps more get distance is fine by me. For scoring purposes, of course.
If that don't matter too much, as against the aesthetics of striking particular clubs etc, then of course distance takes second or third place.
It's all about why you are on the golf course on that particular day😀

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Articles like this always make me think a bit, which isn't always for the best :D

I've always chosen balls on how they feel, I hate playing a ball that feels like a stone when I hit it. I didn't realize that that a softer ball gave up spin around the green though, I would have assumed the opposite just on thinking that a softer ball would be gripped by the grooves easier, guess not. I don't think it will change the balls I play though, will always prefer the likes of the ProV1/ TP5 and Bridgestone Tour B RX over others, but, if it boils down to cost, which it does a lot of the time, then I'll sacrifice the "performance" for the price if I need to.

ProV1 is a top price ball ,isn't it? If it's your choice of ball already I don't see you having to sacrifice anything much😀 Nothing much better to go to?
Looks from the article that I'm going to have to have a rethink. My mate uses a ProV1 which I thought was him being a bit OTT considering his limited skill, but seems , after reading this article, that he is getting the best for himself.
Hand in pocket to join him, I think.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Sad how distance rules all golf thinking these days.

It's not necessarily though.

With driver the hard balls go further, with irons they go about the same as a soft ball, and with wedges the soft balls go further.

So probably across a set of clubs they go the same distance. What was interesting for me is the higher spin rates with the hard ball.

For instance you might be playing a par 5 600 yards. With a hard ball, drive 300, 7 iron 180, PW 120. With a soft ball Drive 280, 7 iron 180, PW 140. But you would get more control with the hard ball and more spin, which is definitely contrary to what I thought

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The disconserting takeaways for me were the offline dispersion and differences between balls in the same box due to manufacturing processes.

Which is why I will stick with my ProV1s, I can't imagine anyone is making golf balls to the same standards as Titleist (if you've ever seen videos of the factory in action you know what I mean). Would I like to be 10 yards further down the fairway? Of course. Would I mind if the shot that should have been in the fairway is 10 yards left/right in the rough. At my course when our rough is up, absolutely.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

So probably across a set of clubs they go the same distance. What was interesting for me is the higher spin rates with the hard ball.

For instance you might be playing a par 5 600 yards. With a hard ball, drive 300, 7 iron 180, PW 120. With a soft ball Drive 280, 7 iron 180, PW 140. But you would get more control with the hard ball and more spin, which is definitely contrary to what I thought

Yes, me too. A very interesting read, especially for me as they have tested at my swing speed- 85.
Certainly looks like a trial change of ball.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

With driver the hard balls go further, with irons they go about the same as a soft ball, and with wedges the soft balls go further.

But you have to look at what you want from most shots. Yes - you want distance from hitting a Wood or Long iron - but with mid irons to wedges you want control. I'd quite happy sacrifice yardage on my PW if it stopped exactly where it landed as this will help me score, as long as the distances were consistent.

The take I get from the report is that the 'soft' balls don't go as far off the tee and don't seem to generate enough spin to stop as quickly on greens. So my Srixon Soft Feel is actually giving me the worst of both worlds. Maybe you get a bit more 'feel' with putts and shots I am running up the green. I guess this is 2 areas that weren't tested.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What's also interesting is that at the Scottish Golf Show on the Titleist stand, the Titleist people themselves were saying that there really wasn't much difference in the distances for their balls, it was the way they performed off the space, spin, straightness, etc.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I currently use the Chromesoft for all comp rounds. My swingspeed with a driver is around 100-105. From those tests it looks like I am not getting the most out of the ball, even though I have not noticed any difference on the course between any golf ball I use.

I have some prov1's in the drawer which I may need to get out.

Once i am out of golf balls i will definitely be trying the snells. I'd imagine after this test their sales will be going up a bit!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Turns out I'm a really slow learner! Didn't think modern drivers would make much difference to me; I was wrong. Didn't think a better quality putter would make much difference; I was wrong. So safe to assume I've been wrong in my thinking about the ball.

Basically, I play whatever is value for money or what I find. I've played all sorts, found and played Pro-Vs and often think they go further and perform better on the greens; then lose them and move on to the one in the bag (Nike, Dunlop, Calloway, Taylormade, Slazenger(!)etc). Might be time to pick a ball and commit to it to see what happens. My fear is it is just so easy to lose balls at my place (rough, even first cut, is shocking, water at 4 holes, OOBs aplenty and unkempt woods lining holes), it might be quite expensive!

From reading this though, tempted to buy a few dozen Snell MTB-X or Bridgestone Tour BX - anyone any experience with either of these?

Bosh

Visit site
Has anyone played with the Inesis ball?
£20 from decathlon has to be a winner if they really are that good.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
ProV1 is a top price ball ,isn't it? If it's your choice of ball already I don't see you having to sacrifice anything much😀 Nothing much better to go to?
Looks from the article that I'm going to have to have a rethink. My mate uses a ProV1 which I thought was him being a bit OTT considering his limited skill, but seems , after reading this article, that he is getting the best for himself.
Hand in pocket to join him, I think.

What I mean is that although I prefer the ProV1/ Tp5 etc, I will often elect to play something else if it is significantly cheaper. Unfortunately for me it seems, that is much of the time unless I get a deal. I still quite like the Project(a) and Chromesoft though but seems they are not as good round the greens as I though they were. Must look for more deals on the premium balls.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played with the Inesis ball?
£20 from decathlon has to be a winner if they really are that good.

I tried them a few years ago when they first gained visibility here in the UK.

I found them to be a competent enough ball without setting the world on fire.