My Golf Spy - 2019 Ball Buyers Guide.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, that's put the cat among the pigeons for me. I've always gone for softer golf balls, but as my swing speed is perhaps just the slower side of average, they seem to be suggesting I shouldn't have bothered.

I'm guessing this is an American Site, as I've never heard of 'Inesis' or 'OnCore' which they have in the very good category.

Inesis are a French brand, can only be bought through Decathlon stores in the UK. Their high end ball used to be superb and sold for about £25 a dozen until the word got out how good they actually were. Price then went up to nearer that of a ProV1. They also sell some cheap rubbish. If you are ever near a Decathlon store it is decent for cheap golf clothes etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some very interesting findings, especially for me concerning a soft ball being a slow ball. I have been using the Supersoft from Callaway over the winter and on the basis of the report definitely not what I need to look at. Now we are in normal conditions and getting run, I'm back hitting the AD333 tour and other three piece balls as they give me what I look for (distance, some degree of stop and the feel I like - even that shouldn't be a consideration now). I've finally got some Callaway ERC three piece balls to try so that'll be interesting.

I do think one of the most sensible pieces of advice, and perhaps the most obvious but so overlooked, is find a brand for you and stick with it! I guess for me at the moment I'm still looking at what is that one make

User20204

Visit site
Fascinating reading. I played with a TP5 on Saturday and got absolutely zero spin around the greens that every chip I had just shot on but it's miles longer off the tee than the prov1 so that's a trade off but it's back t Prov's for me.

In regards SS, it's not always relative to distance, in a fitting I swing my 3 wood at the same speed as the guy in front of me swung his driver, yet I carry my 3 wood 25 yards further so best not to get to bogged down with SS.

Certainly says Lakeballs should be avoided

That's hardly earth shattering news though is it ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Inesis are a French brand, can only be bought through Decathlon stores in the UK. Their high end ball used to be superb and sold for about £25 a dozen until the word got out how good they actually were. Price then went up to nearer that of a ProV1. They also sell some cheap rubbish. If you are ever near a Decathlon store it is decent for cheap golf clothes etc.
I've never heard of Decathlon either to be honest. Never seen one.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never heard of Decathlon either to be honest. Never seen one.
I only found out about it as there is one next to Ikea and thought I would drop in. French sports warehouse type place. Get anything from a tent to a bike to golf gear.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only found out about it as there is one next to Ikea and thought I would drop in. French sports warehouse type place. Get anything from a tent to a bike to golf gear.
There is one around 20 miles from me and I popped in one time when I was in the area. A real mess of a shop, stuff crammed in together. From memory only own brand golf gear, if not then minimal other stuff. Didn't warm to it, didn't find it an inviting place.

Looked good for bike gear and outward bound stuff although as I do neither maybe that was not so good either. Mike Ashley is not going to lose sleep over them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is one around 20 miles from me and I popped in one time when I was in the area. A real mess of a shop, stuff crammed in together. From memory only own brand golf gear, if not then minimal other stuff. Didn't warm to it, didn't find it an inviting place.

Looked good for bike gear and outward bound stuff although as I do neither maybe that was not so good either. Mike Ashley is not going to lose sleep over them.
The one near Ikea in Nottingham is OK, bought plenty from there and their own brand kit is alright. Had a few golf shirts, sweaters, tees, balls, caps etc from there as well as a tent for festivals. Will be going back to get a full face snorkelling mask for holiday when I am next near there.

D

Deleted member 16999

Fascinating reading. I played with a TP5 on Saturday and got absolutely zero spin around the greens that every chip I had just shot on but it's miles longer off the tee than the prov1 so that's a trade off but it's back t Prov's for me.

In regards SS, it's not always relative to distance, in a fitting I swing my 3 wood at the same speed as the guy in front of me swung his driver, yet I carry my 3 wood 25 yards further so best not to get to bogged down with SS.

That's hardly earth shattering news though is it ?
No, some people are sceptical and are still tempted at low prices.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Decathlon have been producing decent value high spec balls for a while now. The previous Inesis TD Tour was highly regarded and by the look of it they've done the same with the Tour 900. I may give them a try.
We have a Decathlon up in Glasgow. It is a bit of a mess getting round and the golf section is extremely small but I may hunt some out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
On the back of this, decided to invest in a dozen Titleist Pro V 1 balls.

Watt Brothers in Glasgow - £29.99. And they are unmarked... i.e. no personalised stamps that someone has then returned.

Maybe they are the 2017 version... but seems a very good deal with most golf shops selling them for at least £41 / £42 per dozen.

Wolf

Visit site
Very interesting read that article and seems that despite my numerous tests of balls and settling on softer balla because I like the feel that perhaps I need to review my thinking, the interesting part for me wasn't the driving and distance but the control of spin with Wedges on approaches, I do often get to much spin which causes the ball to back up somewhat and despite it looking cool and getting nice remarks from PP I realise now I am actually making it harder on myself whereas a firmer ball will give me more drop and stop leaving me closer the hole 🤔

It's a bloody minefield this ball malarkey. May give the Snell balls a bash of I can source some and I definitely need to find a ball and stick to it instead of just looking at offers.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
On the back of this, decided to invest in a dozen Titleist Pro V 1 balls.

Watt Brothers in Glasgow - £29.99. And they are unmarked... i.e. no personalised stamps that someone has then returned.

Maybe they are the 2017 version... but seems a very good deal with most golf shops selling them for at least £41 / £42 per dozen.
Watt Brothers often have some great deals on golf balls. I always have a nosey in if passing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am going to re-evaluate my ball choice when I next run out

I currently play snell “get sum” if when the 6 dozen I got in November run out I’ll have another think

They have done well for me so far

I’m a slower swinger 85 ish driver

If I improve my speed and handicap drops I may get the snell top ball next time £10 per dozen difference

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The disconserting takeaways for me were the offline dispersion and differences between balls in the same box due to manufacturing processes.

Which is why I will stick with my ProV1s, I can't imagine anyone is making golf balls to the same standards as Titleist (if you've ever seen videos of the factory in action you know what I mean). Would I like to be 10 yards further down the fairway? Of course. Would I mind if the shot that should have been in the fairway is 10 yards left/right in the rough. At my course when our rough is up, absolutely.

Couldn’t agree more. I thought it was a psychological thing but I’ve had my best and most consistent rounds with with a proV1 or proV1x. Interestingly, I’ve had some horrific driving days with srixon z-stars.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Based on this report then, what is the 'optimal' ball then? The one that does give you great distance off the tee but control from the fairway and around the green? I can't seem to find the answer in the report - probably me being blind!

D

Deleted member 16999

Based on this report then, what is the 'optimal' ball then? The one that does give you great distance off the tee but control from the fairway and around the green? I can't seem to find the answer in the report - probably me being blind!
There isn’t one, the ‘optimal’ ball will/may differ from person to person depending on what they want from the ball, their swing speed, etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found this report interesting, but like you I think it raised a lot more questions than answers. o_O I thought I knew what ball I was using this year, now I'm back to square one and rethinking everything.