My Golf Spy - 2019 Ball Buyers Guide.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty annoying why they only done a fastest and slowest test instead of a mid test 100mph where a lot of people sit.... I know they say you should be able to make a good educated guess with the findings but actually having some findings would have been better IMO.

The main thing I took from it though was how inconsistent some balls out the same pack can be with irregularities- going offline when not your fault etc. Seems titleist pro v’s are best with that regard. I had some vice lake balls I had been using but I’ll be using them in practice rounds now and using new pro v or avx for medals.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I found this report interesting, but like you I think it raised a lot more questions than answers. o_O I thought I knew what ball I was using this year, now I'm back to square one and rethinking everything.

I'm going to take another look at the Bridgestone Tour B X, it seemed to be one of the better performers in their tests, and have previously played the RXS with good results.

edited to change the model from RX to X

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to take another look at the Bridgestone Tour B RX, it seemed to be one of the better performers in their tests, and have previously played the RXS with good results.
Personally I think almost all the ones they tested are above what I'm willing to pay, but their info on soft balls not being as great as people think for distance and stopping power, etc, has really made me put my thinking cap on. Got the best part of 2 boxes of Titleist Trusofts to work through first, but that'll take me right into summer so I'll have a real think about what to go for after that.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Personally I think almost all the ones they tested are above what I'm willing to pay, but their info on soft balls not being as great as people think for distance and stopping power, etc, has really made me put my thinking cap on. Got the best part of 2 boxes of Titleist Trusofts to work through first, but that'll take me right into summer so I'll have a real think about what to go for after that.

Can get the Bridgestone circa £27, which is pretty good for a premium ball.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just switched from Callaway ChromeSofts to TaylorMode TP5s, and proceeded to shoot my lowest ever round first time out (84 gross, 60 net). Got much better distance and dispersion off the tee, and good control around the green, so I won't be going back to a softer ball, except in winter (when it's cold and the ball doesn't compress as much)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My take on the results is that yes, there are differences between balls (and even between balls of the same model!) but they're not earth shattering enough for me to take any notice of at my standard of play and so I'll continue to choose based on feel and price.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Titleist Tour Soft looked good for a 2 piece. I base that comment on the offline chart then checked distance and spin wasn't too low.
Will take a proper look later but what are people thoughts on which mid priced ball they'd like to try based on this and why?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On any given day, depending on how firm the ground is and the wind direction I could have anything from a pw to 4 hybrid into our first hole. Again, dependant on both these conditions will dictate where I need to land the approach, not an extra 1000 rpm backspin.

It's not the ball lads.

The thing to take away is probably stick to one ball as much as possible for consistent yardages.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's some stuff on here that makes me go old-man grouchy...
This week, a professional golfer won a professional tournament playing a completely different ball to normal (Palmer in the Zurich).
A man who is actually able to put a decent contact on a ball, can actually hit consistent short game shots, might actually hit the centre of the putter enough to tell the difference. A man who depends for his living in the smallest of margins.
I'm all for having a preference for this and that, but making a difference to how chopper golf plays out?? There may be just a couple of other things on literally EVERY shot....
Rant over, carry on.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site

Why's that? I thought the Trusofts did well despite being missed off the rating graphic.

User20204

Visit site
Just watched their YT chat on it all, feel means nothing :ROFLMAO: yep that's right, it has absolutely no credible data that improves your game.

If you thought the article was a good read, go watch the video on it, don't think Callaway (the number 2 ball in golf) will be best pleased :p

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We all knew that most range balls were are 'bit iffy' performance wise, especially as they get a little worn. Now imagine that the shot shape and off line hits could be due to lower (or varied) manufacturing standards and nothing to do with your swing on that shot!

At least now I can blame all my poor shots on the course/range on dodgy balls

When I get fitted for my bionic robot arms I'll stick to one brand, but while I remain (mostly) human I'll just play what feels nice

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
I see they still have no stock of the snell mtb x ball almost a month later. You’d think mygolfspy could have given them the heads up so they could ramp up production