My First Trackman Session

oo7ml

Visit site
Hi,

My local driving range just installed a trackman.

What is a good:
- Ball Speed
- Height
- Launch Angle
- Launch Dir (what is this?)
- Side (what is this?)

Thanks in advance.

694D2C24-95C3-44DA-9E21-10C15EB2C906.jpeg

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

My local driving range just installed a trackman.

What is a good:
- Ball Speed
- Height
- Launch Angle
- Launch Dir (what is this?)
- Side (what is this?)

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 40273
Launch direction mean that you was swinging in to out 3 degrees ( ball started 3degrees to the right) , side mean your ball ended up 20.2 yards right of line.
I'm surprised that it doesn't show your ball spin.

oo7ml

Visit site
Thanks, what is a good launch direction and angle?

They have fitted them as standard to all 50+ bays. A medium basket (90 balls) is €14

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Launch direction mean that you was swinging in to out 3 degrees ( ball started 3degrees to the right) , side mean your ball ended up 20.2 yards right of line.

I imagine this is trackman range, which doesn’t read spin AFAIW

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They have fitted them as standard to all 50+ bays. A medium basket (90 balls) is €14
So they don't charge to use the Trackman, that's good as a range near me charges £3 for half an hour.

oo7ml

Visit site
Yes, they are standard now.

How accurate are they? :)

Would you trust them for gauging the distance of your irons etc? I’m back new to golf so trying to figure out my distances.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Range version doesn't show spin numbers! But it does use the values it observes to calculate other stats.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends what shot you are attempting! Natural?
But that Launch angle looks pretty close to the 'ideal' numbers TM were 'promoting' a few years ago (17*; 1700RPM). Of course, that 'ideal' value took no account of swing speed, but....
To really get your 'optimal' stats, you'd need to have a session on a LM that provided ALL the numbers for your 'natural' swing. You could then attempt to replicate the equivalent numbers on the range.

oo7ml

Visit site
Depends what shot you are attempting! Natural?
But that Launch angle looks pretty close to the 'ideal' numbers TM were 'promoting' a few years ago (17*; 1700RPM). Of course, that 'ideal' value took no account of swing speed, but....
To really get your 'optimal' stats, you'd need to have a session on a LM that provided ALL the numbers for your 'natural' swing. You could then attempt to replicate the equivalent numbers on the range.

Ok great, thanks. I’ve a lesson booked next week at the same range.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve no idea, it’s in a separate ‘lesson bay’ which looks to have a lot more equipment.
I would expect that's the case. But it would pay to confirm that (ahead of time?) if you want to subsequently make extensive use of the LM in the 'Range' bays. In effect, you'd be calibrating yourself/your numbers for your clubs. But that would reduce teaching time for the 'lesson'.
Without that calibrtion, you would be pretty much guessing (and wasting the cost of the facility) if you want to get anything more out of the Bay LM other than for your 'standard' swing with Driver!

dprees

Visit site
Yes, they are standard now.

How accurate are they? :)

Would you trust them for gauging the distance of your irons etc? I’m back new to golf so trying to figure out my distances.

I've used a Trackman range twice, primarily for this purpose. I used the option to convert the distances recorded into equivalents for premium balls; the resulting carry and total yardage values have been very useful on the course.

With my short irons, I consult my Garmin S12 watch for distance to the centre of the green, look at a list I've put on my trolley, and let fly with the appropriate club. Playing yesterday, I was impressed with just how many greens I hit by this route. I got a lot of practice with my pitch repairing tool...not a complaint!

Having a slow swing speed, the best I can manage is 130yds with my 6 iron. When closer than that to the green, my game is improving markedly, due to the GPS watch and to knowing my distances.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've used a Trackman range twice, primarily for this purpose. I used the option to convert the distances recorded into equivalents for premium balls; the resulting carry and total yardage values have been very useful on the course.

With my short irons, I consult my Garmin S12 watch for distance to the centre of the green, look at a list I've put on my trolley, and let fly with the appropriate club. Playing yesterday, I was impressed with just how many greens I hit by this route. I got a lot of practice with my pitch repairing tool...not a complaint!

Having a slow swing speed, the best I can manage is 130yds with my 6 iron. When closer than that to the green, my game is improving markedly, due to the GPS watch and to knowing my distances.
130 with a 6 iron - it doesn't matter - use what you need to get it to the target. If you can develop a strong short game then you can score well even if you don't hit it far. Use your shots and play to you capabilities

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

These numbers are from a Trackman Range and the 3 degrees is the launch direction. It can't measure any clubhead data. Launch direction has little to do with club path it's primarily face angle that promotes launch direction and the club path relative to the face will give the shot shape.

OP your numbers look very good, 16 degrees launch angle with 150 ball speed is solid as long as you don't put too much spin on the ball. The height of 31 yards is good at your ball speed. 150 ball speed means you probably swing the driver between 100 & 105mph which is more than enough to play golf at a decent level.

There is a Trackman Range not too far from me and I go there regularly, I find it fairly accurate when compared to Trackman or GCQuad.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My local range has trackman. I linked it with the trackman app so I can keep the history on my phone. I find it useful for the distance / carry data and the gap between clubs. The off centre data isn't so important for me as I prefer to hit straight in line with the mats, rather that to the greens that it makes me select.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
A range near me put trackman in and the numbers are so far out it’s stupid and not worth bothering with. They also ramped up the pricing

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
267yds with a 150mph ball speed doesn’t add up. The 305yds total is wild too.
I’d expect sub 250yrds with a 150mph ball speed rolling out to 260-270yrds.
Would like to see what settings they are using.