My 1st tournament complete

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well guys as you know i got my handicap back yesterday and i had my 1st open tournament which was at my home course

I didnt play to bad. but shot a 82 which was a little dissapointing. I was hitting my driver a mile and was shaping exactly as i wanted aswell which made my day.

My putting let me down the most today just need to get used to my new putter and the greens. Started with a birde aswell.

Also i need to build up on my irons and short game cause i was hitting alot of long drives today and leaving myself wedge below into the green and messing things up. I should be looking at putting them stone dead.

Another thing was it was a wee bit windy but that didnt bother me which just made it more exciting but it took just over 4 1/2 hours for a round. longest round ever had at my home course which didnt help the matter neway

I have a lesson on tuesday anyway so will see how things go from there.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep it going. I am just about to embark on my club golf career starting on the first of June although I dont think I will be shooting anything like an 82, yet....
Good to hear how its going for you.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats not a bad start in your first competitive round for a while. You have named some positives yourself so take them and build upon them. You have said yourself the short game needs some attention so you know what to do, I'm in the same boat at the moment so will be devoting some serious practice to this within the next week hopefully.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not a bad start Fairmorn . As others have mentioned , it'll be time to work on your short game or.......If you were hitting so close to the green with your driver , could you have maybe used a 3 wood off the tee to ensure you got a full shot with a slightly lower club into the flag ?

This is not a critisism but a genuine question . This is where course management comes into its own , i think .

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
yes i see where your coming from about course management but the thing is i need to work on all my irons as there new like the rest of the clubs in my bag but my pro gave me a few things to work on and its not kinda working but its strange cause the stuff he told me to do works perfect for my driver and other woods there like a dart off the tee :D

I have another lesson on tuesday anyway and am going to speak to him to see what he can do to work on my irons as i need them consistent so i can be able to shoot lower scores. I know i will have to working on my putting but that will come with time tho but doesnt help with the job am in tho but i will do my best.

I was doubting myself with the shafts i had in my woods but i changed something in my grip last night and it seemed to work which am chuffed about tho.