Musselburgh Old

evemccc

Visit site
Is there anyone on the forum who has ever played it?
I’m thinking of including it on a trip..

Recommended? Thoughts about it and comments are appreciated. I saw a NLU YouTube video of it and am intrigued by it.

Does it get busy, and take long time? What’s it’s amenities like? it’s inside a racecourse, so does it have parking and clubhouse etc?

DCB

Visit site
Certainly worth playing, especially if you are into your golf history. It is after all the early home of several of the early clubs up here in Scotland. You can pre arrange the use of hickory clubs to play round, that would be an interesting option. It can be busy, so worth checking with the starter before your visit. Obviously it is closed when Racing is on the go. It is a 9 hole layout and is certainly worth an afternoon if you are on a trip. You'll be following in the footsteps of some of golfs founding fathers.

There is parking

evemccc

Visit site
Certainly worth playing, especially if you are into your golf history. It is after all the early home of several of the early clubs up here in Scotland. You can pre arrange the use of hickory clubs to play round, that would be an interesting option. It can be busy, so worth checking with the starter before your visit. Obviously it is closed when Racing is on the go. It is a 9 hole layout and is certainly worth an afternoon if you are on a trip. You'll be following in the footsteps of some of golfs founding fathers.

There is parking
Thanks, that’s useful

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played it a few times with visiting groups and always enjoyed it as it is a bit different. Couldn't play there every week though. It's a nice way to fill out a day - 18 somewhere else and then a gentle 9 at Musselburgh Old in the afternoon. I wouldn't sacrifice a game at any of the other East Lothian courses to play it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played it a number (dozen-ish) of times and always enjoyed it, but it's only 'special' because of its history. Inside the racecourse, so not always open!
Does have some some interesting holes and none are 'easy' - especially when an extra 'hazard' (a car minus wheels) has been 'parked' in a bunker. Mrs Foreman's (4th) is my favourite!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Worth a visit, the old clubhouse is across the road very friendly and cheap as chips.
I've played it a few times as I'm friends with old Bob Gordon the starter.
We use to play 9 holes there in the morning then 18 at Royal Musselburgh just a few miles away in the afternoon.
If you decide to play, tell Bob that Billy from Tenerife recommended it, he frequented my daughter Lynn's pub in San Blass Golf Del Sur.